cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing our first TT - is this set up safe?

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everybody,

This will be our first TT. I've only towed tent trailers in the past. I was hoping for your advice if towing a 31BHPR (Premier by Ultra LIte by Bullet) will be too big of a jump? It weighs just under 6500lbs.

Also, is our set up safe? - My two vehicle is a 2014 Mercedes GL350 (diesel) with max tow of 7500lbs.

I appreciate any advice.

Thank-you
59 REPLIES 59

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
onelv wrote:
thanks...I guess I'm looking for a different trailer model and new dealership!

Don't give up on the dealership and don't think a different one will be any better. The salesman is there to make a sale, not teach you towing 101.

Know the facts about your Benz and have a max dry weight and max tongue weight in mind when you go shopping, that will help you quickly narrow down your choices.

Agree with Westend, at least you're asking questions before you sign on the dotted line and not crying in your beer after the fact.

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Another example of a poor match to a tow vehicle. IMHO. It's over 30 feet long towed with a vehicle at a 121" wheelbase. With the hitch weight basically maxed out.

Glad I'm not towing it.

Again...thanks for your opinion. ๐Ÿ˜‰

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Another example of a poor match to a tow vehicle. IMHO. It's over 30 feet long towed with a vehicle at a 121" wheelbase. With the hitch weight basically maxed out.

Glad I'm not towing it.

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow on the Apex 288bhs.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
The OP TV is a MB V6 Diesel 240HP, 455lb Torque. It's the same combo various Class B's are shipped with.

Yep-but his payload is low. Not sure about (payload) the class Bs.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
The OP TV is a MB V6 Diesel 240HP, 455lb Torque. It's the same combo various Class B's are shipped with.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
VentureVan wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
I thought I would never tell someone he needs to get rid of their Mercedes and buy a decent tow vehicle.

That's my suggestion.

I found out quickly that there are a lot of people posting on here who think only a pickup truck is a good TV.

P.S: Even though I am a newbie here I have towed RV's since I was 15 and I am 63 now.

Never said pickup only. The Armada is a good tow vehicle staying within it's payload capability. That V8 in that thing will pull all day long.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
onelv wrote:
I still have the same TV...although went from a 2014 to 2015 (but still a Mercedes GL350 which I believe same towing specs)

I'm looking at a Apex 288bhs. (the model a looked at was 5100lbs and tongue weight of 585lbs)

Is this still too much trailer?
With a dry weight of 5100#, the loaded weight could be 6000# or more.
With a length of 31', the tongue weight percentage should be around 13%, and the corresponding TW would be about 800#.

Using a WDH will reduce the amount of vertical load transferred to the TV, but it will not reduce the tongue weight.
IMO, you should not tow with a TW which exceeds the TV manufacturer's rating by 200#.

If you do want to tow in excess of the receiver's TW rating, I recommend you contact Andrew Thomsom at Can-Am RV.
Andrew has set up many combinations such as you are considering.
CAN AM usually reinforces an underrated receiver, and might suggest some other modifications.

Also be sure to get Andrew's opinion on the use of the Andersen WDH with your combination.

Ron

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the MB things I was warned about (but never happened). You could have an airbag failure in the autolevel system ($2000 repair). You could run your transmission too hot and end up with transfer case seal leakage ($1500 repair). I towed the Kodiak with the GL450 for 11,000 towing miles. Still have the car and it still runs great. We love traveling and wanted a fifth wheel so I traded my MB convertable for the GMC 2500 diesel. Wife wouldnt let the GL go.
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
You may have MB warranty issues. I occasionally was a bad boy and towed with 800# on the hitch (I have a Sureline scale I carried). It towed fine. I always inspected the receiver frequently and never saw an issue. In 2009 MB changed hitch mfg supplier and they got beefier, but they kept the 600# rating.
Visited States

VentureVan
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
I thought I would never tell someone he needs to get rid of their Mercedes and buy a decent tow vehicle.

That's my suggestion.

I found out quickly that there are a lot of people posting on here who think only a pickup truck is a good TV.

P.S: Even though I am a newbie here I have towed RV's since I was 15 and I am 63 now.

Explorer II
Explorer II
This doesn't address your weight issue but you mentioned guest.
I carry two small tents and call them the guest house. They have all the privacy they need when the flaps are closed.

Your Camping :B
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
So if loaded the TT, I may be putting 50lbs to 100lbs over the max tongue weight.

If I used a weight distribution system/sway control, what is my exposure?

Am I looking at a very dangerous set up? Or more of an aggressive wear and tear?

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
My previous Kodiak had a hitch dry weight at 505# and it was a struggle to stay under 600#. We always camp with full hookups so I took out one of the propane tanks. Also I added a rear cargo carrier and kept the front cargo bay for light weight stuff like fishing rods etc. Lastly, as I said before, go with the Andersen WDH its the lightest and was proven to work great on the MB SUV by me ๐Ÿ˜‰
Visited States