cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting out slide on incline?

dlmckinney33
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 28bhswe with a super slide. My driveway is a pretty good angle. So I have to back up it to park. But the problem I'm having is is that I have to jack the front of the camper way up to make it level. Like two feet past normal "level" position. Does it hurt it to slide it out of the camper is not perfectly level front to back? Side to side it's perfect. When I jack it way up the rear bumper is close to the ground and the compartments in the front are almost at chest level. Just don't want to damage anything. Thanks for the input.
6 REPLIES 6

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO>>>NO>>>NO. Not at an angle. You will put stress on the slide.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would follow the manufacturer's manual. If the manual isn't clear I would call the manufacturer. I have a full wall slide and my manual is probably different than yours in procedures for operating the slide. The manufacturer would know what damage has been encountered opening a full wall slide on their units. That said, I open my full wall slide (about 26 ft long) in any position of my MH. After it is open I operate my jacks. That is the instructions in my manual. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions but deferring to your manual is best procedure.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you operate the slides while the RV is significantly out of level (front to back), you'll be putting side loads on the rooms which will increase friction and load on the drive train. This will have a detrimental effect on rails, gears and motor. I would not do it.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JMO but I'm personally not comfortable extending even our shallow slide or the awning unless the trailer is sitting relatively level. I too have a driveway which slopes noticeably to the street so I use an 18" stack under the tongue jack to minimize TJ extension and chock the trailer with a set of wheel pads that use the weight of the trailer bearing down on the pads to absolutely prevent it from inadvertently shifting. Pics are in my gallery.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
No matter what the manual states, I wouldn't recommend opening the slide because of your extreme angle.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Every owners manual I've read has always recommended that the rig be level when the slide is used. I think I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Times fun when you're having flies!