cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about Black Tanks and full timing

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of an odd question, but I was talking to someone in Walmart who had commented on the black tank chem treatment that I was buying. He said that since he is a full timer (working oil fields and staying in a TT), he never uses any black tank treatment and keeps his black and grey valves open and connected to the sewer.

Is this proper? I thought I had been told that you should only open the black valve when dumping the tank (when full), but should normally have some kind of treatment in the tank until it's full (which is what I do).

Just curious!
26 REPLIES 26

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my black tank valve open when I'm hooked up and staying for a while. Haven't had a poop pile yet. Use plenty of water and you won't get the dreaded poop pile.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
One tip I learned is when you show 1/3full after dumping, is to put a couple gallons of water in the tank along with a 10 lb bag of ice. Then go for a drive sloshing it around. Then fill the tank w clean water and dump again. I also completely fill up my greys before dumping so the hoses are flushed.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
hawkeye-08 wrote:
If conditions are perfect, you can leave the valve open. IIRC, 1/4" drop per foot will keep the solids and liquids both moving. If it is steeper than that, the liquid will leave the solids behind and you will have a plugged up mess eventually. This includes in the holding tank and pipes and hose. Since conditions are never perfect, best to keep valve closed until you have enough to dump (and flush if you want) and then close again after dumping.... for me, I never want to have to work on it, it was bad enough the previous owners of our trailer left a rock hard pyramid that took lots of water and several trips to get cleaned out.

That would pertain to sewer plumbing in a S&B house

RV waste tanks..........poop goes plop directly under toilet and liquids run away from poop plop pile.
Just like an outhouse, vault toilet, pit latrine, squat toilet.......

I wonder how that stuff gets out of the tank then.. don't need no stinking slope.

Thanks for proving my point. You really don't want the liquid to get away, you do want to retain it and let it all drain together...

btw, I have never seen a vault toilet with drain at bottom with valve.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
hawkeye-08 wrote:
If conditions are perfect, you can leave the valve open. IIRC, 1/4" drop per foot will keep the solids and liquids both moving. If it is steeper than that, the liquid will leave the solids behind and you will have a plugged up mess eventually. This includes in the holding tank and pipes and hose. Since conditions are never perfect, best to keep valve closed until you have enough to dump (and flush if you want) and then close again after dumping.... for me, I never want to have to work on it, it was bad enough the previous owners of our trailer left a rock hard pyramid that took lots of water and several trips to get cleaned out.

That would pertain to sewer plumbing in a S&B house

RV waste tanks..........poop goes plop directly under toilet and liquids run away from poop plop pile.
Just like an outhouse, vault toilet, pit latrine, squat toilet.......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep both closed and dump when full. In Fl the sewers are populated with bugs and critters. I don't want them getting into my tanks.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keep black closed until it is time to dump.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
True fulltimers know better. He's just living in portable housing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
not as critical if you have a black tank flush and periodically spray it down, but yep, I wouldn't do it.
bumpy

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, not a good idea
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
He either mis-spoke, you hear him wrong or he is not doing it right.

Chemicals......I agree with him. I don't use them. Tried them but didn't find a need for them. If RV seals, traps, AAVs, vents-----odor barriers/controls are functioning them chemicals not needed. If those design features aren't working them you smell chemically treated poop.

Grey waste tank.....OK to leave open but I don't because grey tank can have crud (skin cells, soap scum, food debris, oils etc) and I prefer to dump tank when full so they stuff gets flushed out

Black tank.........only time that drain valve should be open is when dumping full tank and when using built in tank flush system.
NO poop pryamids for me!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
You'll hear all kinds of arguements for and against treatment, it's a personal choice. As far as leaving the black tank valve open.....don't do it! You'll get a big pile of hardened solids on the bottom of the tank you won't be able to remove.