cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for the Ram crowd

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
A co-worker just bought a '08 Ram w/ CTD and 74,000 miles. That's all I know about it. Is there anything I could pass along to him to either check or be on lookout for? Tips? Good/bad/ugly?

Thanks in advance again.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
15 REPLIES 15

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dreeder wrote:
It appears the new trucks running DEF are doing so reliably. As far as the pre-Def Rams go, 07.5' to 12', not a chance if it were my money. I had a 09' and the thing was a shop queen, EGR replaced a couple times, check engine lights, turbo cleaned twice and replaced once all within 12,000 miles. My advice to him would be to look for a 06' pre 07.5' 5.9. Just get ready to pay a premium.
Did I mention the oil contamination from diesel fuel do to regens? Nothing better than watching your fuel diluted engine oil grow on the dipstick each time you check it.
Did I mention how much I love the EPA...:B?

Your 09 sounded like my BIL's 09 POS 6.7 cummins. He unloaded that truck after 9 months of continuous emission related problems. The problem was so bad that the diesel tech and service manager told him to really fix the problem was to delete the emissions equipment otherwise they would be doing the temporary cleanings ever month per Chryslers procedures.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2011 HO with 65K was trouble free. I did two oil samples with Blackstone and the fuel dilution was less than .05%.

Someone bought a great truck that bought mine I traded in.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tell him to drive like he stole it! That will assure less problems it. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
It appears the new trucks running DEF are doing so reliably. As far as the pre-Def Rams go, 07.5' to 12', not a chance if it were my money. I had a 09' and the thing was a shop queen, EGR replaced a couple times, check engine lights, turbo cleaned twice and replaced once all within 12,000 miles. My advice to him would be to look for a 06' pre 07.5' 5.9. Just get ready to pay a premium.
Did I mention the oil contamination from diesel fuel do to regens? Nothing better than watching your fuel diluted engine oil grow on the dipstick each time you check it.
Did I mention how much I love the EPA...:B?

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
The muffler delete might have helped with power on the older trucks. Doing this on a 2004.5 and up with factory 4" exhaust from the turbo back seems like a waste of money.

I always recommend a steering stabilizer for Dodge trucks. The steering box can flex on the frame. This translates to wondering on the road.

Genos Garage

Have him check under the hood for a lube sticker for the front driveshaft. Some truck front drivelines do not require lubrication. Mine does. This lube job requires a needle fitting for the grease gun. Many dealers including mine do NOT lube this fitting with a normal oil change. They should.

Gauges help (boost,egt,fuel pressure,tranny temp). Always use quality filters. Avoid cheap filters that do not "Meet or Exceed OE specifications". As mentioned be sure the computer updates are completed.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slowmover wrote:
Better specific answers will be found on Cummins Forum. TDR is just about dead, but those who post are generally head and shoulders above the common run of owners.

TDR is NOT dead, they are not a bunch of young guys that do the deletes and then ***** about what happens.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
cummins forum is a good site to check out.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Better specific answers will be found on Cummins Forum. TDR is just about dead, but those who post are generally head and shoulders above the common run of owners.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Read about deletes. That's a general name for removing EPA mandated stuff. That's not without issue. Read the delete or not thread. Or Google. Tons of info. Voids warranty. Won't pass inspection. Heard dealers won't work on truck at all. But I've just read about it, no first hand knowledge. It's one of the reasons I'm buying a gasser in my truck. Just too much hassle since EPA junk was added. Read where many costly repairs were needed. Soot clogging. EGR replaced. Regen. Tons of other negative **** I don't fully understand, but turned me away from diesels. I really wanted one initially. Still do, but seems risky after all I've read. But again, no personal experience. Just what I've read.

Dan

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
Another question for the Cummins ram owners, what's with removing the mufflers?

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Stay on top with trany service and make sure it has the latest flash due to the soot clogging issues these 6.7 suffer from. Also work it hard and don't use it as a grocery getter or soot clogging will be a problem.

And monitor the up coming safety recall too.

X2
Don't baby it, keep the RPM's up in the power curve while driving.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
All he has to do is put fuel in it and drive.

He must have checked into Fords, so he didn't buy one.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stay on top with trany service and make sure it has the latest flash due to the soot clogging issues these 6.7 suffer from. Also work it hard and don't use it as a grocery getter or soot clogging will be a problem.

And monitor the up coming safety recall too.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Google ram recall (recently been on news dodge was issued a hefty fine) I believe it's for model years 08-12.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!