cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question obout light fixtures

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
In preparation to upgrade my interior lighting to LED, I pulled off a cover to see which kind of bulb I had. I couldn't figure out how to get the bulb out - tried tugging to the point I thought I'd crush it. It almost looks like there is some kind of socket that plugs in to the fixture, but fiddling with that didn't seem to work out either as I felt like I was forcing something to the point of breakage.

Anyone have this type and know how to extract the bulb?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
15 REPLIES 15

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few options:

This one shines down: 15 LED flat panel

This one shines all around: 921 style LED, cylinder style
Bob

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Thanks all - I finally got the bulb out. I took a look at these and see that there are emitters all around. What good does that do against a plastic reflector like mine?

The lamp in there now shines light in all directions, doesn't it? The LED replacement is meant to mimic the output of an incandescent lamp.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
DocnAK wrote:
Agree with the above. You should just be able to pull on the glass part. Have you tried another fixture to see if they are all that tough to take out? I had the similar light in our TT and replaced with these....

http://www.m4products.com/921-24-5050-ww-warm-white-5050-smd-light-bulb-with-wedge-base/

Very happy with them.

We paid a lot more last year to have our RV tech replace all of ours with this style. However my wife wanted the bluer color rather than a more-yellow version (compared to the 921). We lost a lot of lumens in the transition, but not enough that we run into things inside at night :B

I'm OK with the emitters all around since they don't generate any measurable heat compared to the traditional bulbs they replace. And if I want more light for reading or card games, we have auxiliary alternatives with us.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
DocnAK wrote:
Agree with the above. You should just be able to pull on the glass part. Have you tried another fixture to see if they are all that tough to take out? I had the similar light in our TT and replaced with these....

http://www.m4products.com/921-24-5050-ww-warm-white-5050-smd-light-bulb-with-wedge-base/

Very happy with them.
Thanks all - I finally got the bulb out. I took a look at these and see that there are emitters all around. What good does that do against a plastic reflector like mine?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Whitehawkmn
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a bunch of LED bulbs from M4 Products and the bulbs are great. The shipped very quickly.

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
I just swapped out all the 921 bulbs in our camper with Ebay cheapie LEDs, and they've been working great so far, although we haven't had them long enough to judge how long they'll last.

These are the ones I ordered. At the time I bought, there were a few sellers offering what looked to be the same LEDs.

1-10pcs T10 921/G4 24-5050 SMD 3w LED Bulb Pure/Warm White AC/DC 12-24V

Light output on them is almost identical to the 921 bulbs that came out. The color is very close as well (on the warm whites), just very slightly whiter than the 921s. Time will tell if they hold up, but the initial impressions are good.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
pconroy328 wrote:
Oh heck - the fixture says 921.

So wiggle and tug.
Wear gloves or take caution just in case the glass breaks!
Did you replace with LED?

I'm also wondering if I can replace the backing with something reflective. Otherwise, I guess my LED lights will be the ones that are flat and one sided.

Yes - and I've just about exhausted all of the eBay cheapies. At $1 to $3 a bulb, I've bought several different kinds off eBay to experiment. Some of my super cheap chinese ones were polarized, they had to go in a certain way. And they didn't last.

Others have lasted months (so far).

None of these cheapies, yet, put out the light of a 921 bulb.

And yes, my fixtures have an aluminum reflective top. It might be pretty simple to use a dab of adhesive and some aluminum foil to craft a reflector for yours too.

DocnAK
Explorer
Explorer

Very happy with them.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
pconroy328 wrote:

So wiggle and tug.

I'm also wondering if I can replace the backing with something reflective. Otherwise, I guess my LED lights will be the ones that are flat and one sided.

On the reflector beside the lamp it says 921.

Just grab the glass part and pull it out.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:

So wiggle and tug.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer

So wiggle and tug.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Those look like the same 921 bulbs in my RV. And I too had a devil of a time getting a couple of them out. If you're brave, use a towel or glove to protect your hand and just *tug*.

Wiggle (gently) and tug.
I also turned them on to warm them up and then tugged.

On mine, they eventually came out.

But I *knew* mine were 921s.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
The bulbs get stuck just wiggle and pull it will come out.The plastic is not part of the bulb

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
It looks like that's some sort of clip at the bottom. Is there some piece of flexible plastic that you can push to release?
Yes - my thoughts as well. Pushed with my finger, then the blunt end of utensil. It would not budge.