cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on using a tailgate

realter
Explorer
Explorer
If you Ave a truck camper that fits within the length of your truck bed, and you can close the tailgate, what happens if you are in the camper and someone closes it? Are you trapped inside the camper?
16 REPLIES 16

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Travels with Yoly wrote:
When I saw the heading for this thread I thought it was a discussion on whether or not you should leave a tailgate in place rather than remove it and allow the 2 extra feet of camper to extend beyond the bed ? The two surfaces are perfectly level with each other so the tailgate really wouldn't see that much of a load ... or would it ?

My long campers have holding tanks below the floor level in the rear.
Than seeing how the 6000lb camper rocks during driving, I don't think the tailgate would survive under it on long run even if I could have tailgate under.

Our camper fully loaded is only 2280 lbs and the bottom, front to back is perfectly level. The camper is 8 feet and the bed length is 6'-5" so maybe 1'-7" on the tailgate. I also think it might reduce some of the fore/aft rocking. Hope more people chime in with knowledge. We're new to truck campers ๐Ÿ™‚

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
I do worry about somebody closing my big handle assist against the door when I'm inside, effectively trapping me inside. There was a thread about a year ago on this.

Actually (at least on our Northstar), the handle will swing open under moderate force from inside. It doesn't lock in place very firmly.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

realter
Explorer
Explorer
I would have thought the sound would have been, pss, pss, pss, pss. The sound of the air being released from that persons tires.

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
I think this is about as much of a problem as worrying about someone parking too close to the door of the outhouse you just went into.

Oh no, now I've given people something new to worry about - maybe it will make them get done and out quicker?

Bill

Reminds me of a barely related story from 1980.

Arrived at Yosemite entrance with travel trailer at 1 am and no reservations. Stopped and slept. 6 am, ranger told us no camping and ran us off. We drove into the valley and parked in the empty large lot near the general store. All went back to bed.

9 am, awoke to traffic noise. Went to leave and door would only open 4 inches-a car was parked up against the trailer. Could not find another exit but little brother warped the top of the door and we squeezed him out onto the roof. The next sound we heard was bloop, bloop, bloop. He was dancing on the top of the offending car!

Moved the rig and had a great day. The next night's adventure will have to wait until a future, kinda-related, post. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Keep a shotgun in the camper to blow the tailgate apart if you're a victim of the infamous "tailgate closing bandits!"
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Travels with Yoly wrote:
When I saw the heading for this thread I thought it was a discussion on whether or not you should leave a tailgate in place rather than remove it and allow the 2 extra feet of camper to extend beyond the bed ? The two surfaces are perfectly level with each other so the tailgate really wouldn't see that much of a load ... or would it ?

My long campers have holding tanks below the floor level in the rear.
Than seeing how the 6000lb camper rocks during driving, I don't think the tailgate would survive under it on long run even if I could have tailgate under.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Some people like to worry period.
My wife worry right now about hurricane in TX and storms in FL.
We are in north Georgia.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Tank. I do worry about somebody closing my big handle assist against the door when I'm inside, effectively trapping me inside. There was a thread about a year ago on this.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think this is about as much of a problem as worrying about someone parking too close to the door of the outhouse you just went into.

Oh no, now I've given people something new to worry about - maybe it will make them get done and out quicker?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
If truck has locking tailgate, uses simple pawl on post to latch, when open just push the pawl closed, lock handle.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
In my first camper you could close the tailgate so as other have said you would be trapped for EVER! ( grin)
However as well others have said there is an escape window or hatch on the roof on campers now and back then.
Also in BC you can't travel in the back of a camper or anywhere else that doesn't have a seat belt.
However..... if your worried about someone closing the tailgate while your inside sleeping etc....
I would just put a pad lock one the arms that hold the tailgate from dropping to far when open. The only thing the padlock will do is make noise / get in the way, someone try's to close the tailgate. Now they could probably see the lock during the day, but during daylight hours there will probably be other people around as well. However at night the culprits wouldn't see the lock and it would make a sound as it hit the truck as they try to close it. Now I never tried this and just thought of it with my morning coffee, so there maybe other ideas out there if your worried about it.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
I havnt had a tailgate on my truck in so long I had to google it to see what you were talking about.
So I guess my answer would be just to take it off while camping.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
realter wrote:
If you Ave a truck camper that fits within the length of your truck bed, and you can close the tailgate, what happens if you are in the camper and someone closes it? Are you trapped inside the camper?

Yes. You will be trapped forever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seriously, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, or just remove the tailgate and leave it at home.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.