cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: Battery Level

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2012 Jayco Swift 18' ... has the little monitor on the wall that, when a button is pushed, shows 1-4 LED lights for empty/full .. Battery; Water; gray and black tank. Is there something else I can use to make a better determination of the current Battery charge? I found that 4 lights doesn't really mean "totally charged". Trailer is totally stock w/no mods - yet. Plan on getting 2 6volt batteries this Spring, and Generator. Generator
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.
11 REPLIES 11

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Best way to test for voltage is with a voltage multi-meter. Easy way to check the batteries.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

S_more_campers
Explorer
Explorer
As a powered lift truck technician who specializes in electric lift trucks and vehicles I have some knowledge and experience on this subject.

The four LED display in your TT is quite simply a limited range voltmeter. It likely ranges between 12.8V to 12.0VDC. As you've already guessed, it's not terribly useful.

If you're serious about battery maintenance, a hydrometer coupled with an inexpensive voltmeter is the ultimate solution.

A hydrometer will run about $10 and another $10 for a cheap voltmeter are a much better indicator of battery SOC (coupled with good documentation) than ANY other meter. Perfect for your 6V FLA batteries. They require good documentation be kept so you'll have reference of the past (SG/cell and battery voltage need to be kept, good notes will indicate everything from acid imbalance to cell failure), they're also messy which leads to inconvenient.

You can buy a toaster (coil type battery load tester) for about $80, will also provide a decent indication (though pulls off charge with each test) or an electronic battery load tester like a Blue Point YA2612B, but at $200 gets to be pricey, also pulls down battery with each test.

Last but not least, a Curtis 908 BSOC gauge. These are also fooled by being hooked up to shore power, provide an additional 6 segments and cost almost as much as an electronic battery load tester.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
rexlion wrote:
A meter like this Innova meter on Amazon works great, if you have one of those sockets. My TT has one.

That's what I use. The meter is not 100% accurate, it shows the voltage at the outlet, not the battery, but close enough for the price.

I got it at at an auto parts store.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A meter like this Innova meter on Amazon works great, if you have one of those sockets. My TT has one.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I added a 12V receptacle above our monitor panel and stuck a voltage meter in it. Also have an AC voltmeter plugged in a receptacle by the monitor panel. Can now see how the electric is doing in a glance.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I did to keep track of my battery SOC.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
As said, you can use a voltmeter to get a reading that correlates to state of charge with acceptable accuracy. You really need to use a digital voltmeter though for this test. Watch your Sunday paper for coupons to Harbour Freight. They often give away a digital voltmeter free with any purchase. It may not be the best meter, but it is good enough and the price can't be beat.

Another option as stated is to use a hydrometer to check the electrolyte in the battery cells. You can buy an inexpensive hydrometer at any auto supply store.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the DC VOLTAGE verses BATTERY STATE of Charge to get an idea of my battery state of charge. This is no where absolute but gets me in the ball park. The absolute test of course is to use a hydrometer and read a specific gravity of 1.225 or greater in each battery cell.

When camping off the power grid If I read my battery bank DC voltage being around 12.0VDC will tell me my approximate battery state of charge is 50% charge state. This is where I want to start re-charging my battery to get it back up to its 90% charge state or more to be able to use it again for the next day/night run off the batteries with almost full performance of the battery.

Like said this is not absolute but gets me in the ballpark. I keep a close watch of my battery DC Voltage reading when camping off the power grid and have planned out my battery drain to not go below the 12.0VDC before 8AM the next morning when I am allowed to run my generator to recharge my batteries.

I have this homemade meter panel inside my trailer monitoring my two battery banks for 12VDC and also how much current is being drawn from my batteries to run my Inverter and 12VDC connected items.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Since the generator you chose won't run the air conditioner, I'd encourage you to spend the money on a nice solar system. The battery bank will be totally filled between trips, and you won't have to worry about gas, etc.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Panel mount voltmeter is a pretty good gauge. Maybe one of the guys that has installed one will post. The usual Trimetric and Victron meters are the best devices but cost is 10x times the volt meter.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that you will find out that when you are hooked up to shore power, that monitor panel will show the battery being fully charged even though the battery might actually be completely DEAD. Your best bet would be to use a mult-meter and check battery voltage at the battery posts.