cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions abou t new (to me) Northern Lite

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up my first TC last week. I'm going to be taking my first trip next weekend and need to get a couple things figured out. The first is critical, the second is maintenance that will come into play down the road.

1) The NL TC is a 2007 10'2" RRQ (rear dinette, queen bed). It was kept in great condition by the original owner fortunately. But, the TC did not come with a sewer hose. There is a hole/door in the side of the camper that is 17" deep that I've been told is for storing the dump hose. I picked a relatively cheap one up from Walmart but found it does not fit either. It's both too large diameter (the hole is 3-3/4" diameter but the hose coupling is closer to 5"). Secondly, the hole is not deep enough to hold anything longer than 5' and can't hold the 90deg bend. I probably need to contact NL about this, but what the heck am I supposed to use in order to dump sewage without adding an aftermarket hose holder tube?

2) The Happijacks are functional and in good visual condition. However, there are some chips/cracks in the paint that some rust is coming through. What should I use to paint this? Since it's regularly going to get wet and has to take some abuse, I was leaning towards marine grade paint, but a recommendation for what others do would be nice. I'll probably look into contacting Happijack to see if they have a suggestion, too.
38 REPLIES 38

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same unit you do. I have the silly hose compartment above the tank dump compartment. I believe that hose is cut down from original size. I have to get really close to a dump to make that one work. If we are going to a place with hook-ups at the site, we bring a rhino in a plastic bin (stores in the basement).
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Is rhino flex the clear winner in hose or does it really matter? I'm not going to be at KOA type places, so I think this will be dump stations only. I was thinking a single 10' hose with the TC connector on one end and a removable adapter/funnel end that connects to a compact 90 bend. Only thing the rhino has is that clear section by the TC in some kits.

Gray1Ghost
Explorer
Explorer
I did what AidenJ did with 6" pipe capped on one end and threaded on the other. Also drilled drain holes in the bottom. Additionally, I drilled a hole in the threaded cap and keep it attached to the bumper with a short piece of rope so I won't lose it if it comes off in transit or I forget to screw it back.

Keith should tell you what type of paint to use. I had some minor repair work done and the repairman gave me a pint of what he used but it doesn't have the recipe on the can.

Enjoy your NL. They are fine truck campers.

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
bkenobi wrote:
4" or 6" pipe?

I think I used 4. Pretty wet under camper right now to measure. The coupling that attaches to the camper outlet just fits. You might have a different elbow also, so check that it fits as well. There is another NL owner on here, I actually stole the idea from him. He might chime in if you have any other ??'s
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
The site I saw had a step up to the hole. Don't think gravity will work out so well. My dealership showed me a 10' hose with a 2-barb fitting on one side and loose hose on the other. I know it would fit in the intended hole, but how would it ever stay down the hole without a weight or someone holding it? if it would be an acceptable temporary solution, I may do that now to delay the fix until after my trip this weekend.

youngm357
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen people just get near the dump hole and just let it rip with no hose! Don't do that!

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
4" or 6" pipe?

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
NL quit making the side compartment after 2009. Our bumper came with a useless plastic cover. We cut a piece o pvc and capped one end. The other end has the threaded cap. Drilled several holes in the bottom and attached the whole thing to the bottom of the bumper with stainless hose clamps. Because of the size we had to double the clamps. All the hose fittings and couplings fit in the tube. Cleaning is easy just stick a hose in the end and any water residue runs out the holes.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a look at where that round "sewer hose compartment" tube goes. Mine goes into the skirt. I have considered removing the compartment side door and the tube and sawing the tube off the base. Then re-install the base and door. That would give me more storage in the skirt with the tube gone.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
My camper has a small compartment to the left of the main basement. I'm not sure why it's split off, but I'm leaning strongly towards using that for the sewer hose, connectors, gray hose, gloves, etc. I just have to figure out a box or bag method I suppose.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
what the heck am I supposed to use in order to dump sewage without adding an aftermarket hose holder tube?
We put our hose in a plastic garbage bag and store it in a plastic tub in the compartment beneath the entry door.

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
bkenobi wrote:
Do you have any pictures of the camper with the storage mounted? I've got ideas in my head but would love to see a more finished product. Also, did it stay together or require modification over time?

Here's what mine looks like - the white tube mounted to the underside of the camper just above the rear fender.
[img] Click For Full-Size Image.[/img]
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the useless sewer hose storage compartment for doormat storage or disposable 1 pound propane bottles. I'm just throwing my sewer hose in a void in the bigfoot driver side skirt. So far, so good.
Rustoleum on the jack legs. Whatever shade of white seems to match.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any pictures of the camper with the storage mounted? I've got ideas in my head but would love to see a more finished product. Also, did it stay together or require modification over time?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
that could be a might unpleasant surprise for a neighboring convertible passenger!