cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on new TT purchase

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Hey yall,  i posted a topic about some questions on Jayco TTs and i appreciate the help.

Specifically on the purchase aspect,  is 30% off list what folks are typically getting?   I belive i heard that sometime ago and was wondering if that was still the case.

Also,  are rv shows a good place to get the best deal? 

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.
10 REPLIES 10

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another smaller wholesale dealer that I like and have purchased from is www.wanarv.com. They're willing to order to spec and can send you a price sheet for doing that. Yes, as just mentioned there are no Federal requirements for consistency on MSRP as in autos, so they are all over the map. I use rvtrader.com to compare MSRP all over the nation to try to get a feel for what is right. The further from northern IN the more transportation is going to buried in the MSRP. My personal standard that I'm able to achieve so far is 30% off MSRP with no set up, PMI, etc. charges--it is doable, but might take some work. The model year in the RV industry changes in April so if you're shopping for 2016s now, they are a model year old and my standard for them is 35% off. You'll still see lots of 2016s on the lots which means they have been sitting for one half to one and one half years!
Len

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
since many RVs have MSRPs that are fabricated by the dealer, the 30-40% off figures might be off a MSRP that has been jacked up 50%
when I bought my First Flair Class A I went to the factory in upper PA. not finding a window sticker I asked the rep. what the MSRP would be. there was a little hemming and hawing around before it was announced that that would be prepared by the dealer. and the high % off might also include add ons, PDI, etc.
bumpy

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I personally would never buy at a show. Never an exact show model that has been trampled through, and the prices I have seen are always higher than the so-called wholesale RV dealers. I do enjoy going to shows to see the latest trends, evaluate floorplans and brands in general.

Very few people buy RVs for less than a handful of high volume dealers in the mid-west (RV Wholesalers, RV Direct, Holman, Lakeshore, etc). Many of their sales are custom order direct sales. Some people travel 1000+ miles to buy through them at 30-40 percent under MSRP. That's why I would never pay more for anything on the lot, or worse a show.

Search the Internet for those dealers I named above. Contact them after looking through their web sites.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Kind of like car buying again with Alabama Jim's advise. Good to know.

I also saw that wildwood (forest river) has an Xlite model that is a similar floor plan to the Jayco 26bhw. It's a little more expensive, but has a small outdoor kitchen. It's also 7500 GVW so it's heaver than what I want.

They supposedly have 5/8" plywood flooring though, which is nice.

This sure is going to be tough with all the options and makes out there. I wish I could afford an Airstream. I have always loved them. Then I'd get my aluminum roof! 🙂
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
30% off is a good start. Then you must have in mind what your final offer would be and walk they stay above it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you are getting a new one from a dealer, include the black tank flush in your pricing of extras. it could be easy or extremely difficult to do after sale.
bumpy

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them very much.

I’m not looking to rush into anything, believe me.  I have long liked Jayco and thought they built a good product, but my wife and I are certainly open to other makes/models.

I don’t want anything over 30’ in length and preferably 6500lbs GVW or under.  I would prefer not to have a slide for several reasons and we need bunk beds for the boys.  A quick rule of thumb of mine is I like to stay no more than 80% of the tow vehicle’s tow rating with the trailer’s GVW.  For me, my truck has a 9,200lb tow rating, so that would be in the 7,360.00 GVW range for trailer weight.   I like more margin than most so that’s why I’d like to stay 6500 GVW or under for the trailer weight.   Tongue weight is also a concern, but my truck has a 1740lb payload rating so I shouldn’t have an issue as far as that goes with the length and weight trailers I’m interested in.

Beyond that I’m open to all makes/models pretty much.   I just wanted to confirm the 30% figure that I thought was mentioned here in the past.  I also heard RV shows was a good place to get a great deal because they are trying to blow them out and its end of season.  Gayle Kline RV in Mountville has a Jayco 26BHW (slx line) for under $15K and that’s a 2017 model.  ($19K list) so I didn’t think that was bad for starters.  The SLX is not as fancy as the regular Jay Flight but I don’t really need the fancy stuff, except for maybe the roof ladder and black tank flush would be nice.

Thanks again for the help and thoughts, y’all are great.

-Greg

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
Before we bought our RV I spent a good bit of time on RVTrader.com. This gave me a good idea of the pricing for a particular model - basically who is selling it and at what price so I knew I was getting a good price.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV shows are not generally the best place to buy, unless you have already narrowed down your exact model. Then if there is a floor model of that one available, you might get a deal. But no dealer is going to have every Jayco model at a RV show.

You need to take your time selecting a model that suits your tow vehicle and your floorplan needs, then look for the best deal.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
people often use the 30% figure, I figure closer to 20% unless there are special circumstances.
and RV shows are good for finding out what interests you and fits your needs. not to be pressured into buying something, "today".
bumpy