cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quick Winter Question

jhfxrtleeh1
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a short trip -- the weather will determine the actual length. Anyway, in order to run my propane heater, do I need to be connected to shore power for the fan, or can it run overnight off the batteries,and then re-charged while driving? Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
old guy wrote:
if you wake up and the furnace is throwing cold air, you know you ran out of battery.

I think you mean gas. IF the furnace is blowing cold, it means the battery is running the fan, but the fire is out

If the battery is low, it won't light the flame, hence the reason for the first post.
Bob

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
old guy wrote:
if you wake up and the furnace is throwing cold air, you know you ran out of battery.

I think you mean gas. IF the furnace is blowing cold, it means the battery is running the fan, but the fire is out

I agree with old guy, the sail switch shuts down the furnace heat long before the battery capacity is completely drained. IMO

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Again, how cold for how long?

For nights in the 30's we have shut the furnace off and used the quilts, in the morning the TT was in the forties when we turned the furnace on. The days were bright and sunny and we were out snowshoeing so the TT stayed in the mid-fifties with no furnace.

I do not think I would go more than a day on my battery, I have found that the phantom loads alone will pull my battery down to where the lights are noticeably dimmer in just 4 or 5 days.

Running off of the battery is for us a unique experience usually when we are in the "camp and go" mode and do not even unhitch for the night. We almost always have shore power and a small space heater.

I do not know why the current through the 7 pin TT plug for the battery is limited; I am told it is more like a trickle charger. Many folks find it easier and faster to charge their TT battery with a set of jumper cables from the TV.

Winter camping is like boon docking or other off the grid adventures, in order to do it you have to know YOUR TT systems and acceptable comfort levels. This is best learned in the back yard.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
When it gets cold, for a short trip, I suggest Motel 6. One year my water lines froze; never again.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jhfxrtleeh1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much, folk! This is just the info we needed. And, yes, LOTS of blankets, just in case. Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would have adequate cover on the bed and turn it off while sleeping.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV FURNACE is 12V DC & propane
T-stat uses 12V DC to turn furnace on
Furnace uses 12V DC to run fan and open gas valve
12V DC ignitor lights propane

RV Furnace fan is a DC hog......rule of thumb one battery one night
RV Battery will get a charge from tow vehicle but it is minimal due to length of wire and small wire size So it will take many hours of drive time to recharge
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31