Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Concern

myway_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello folks,

I am considering buying a 2008 Toyota Tundra Doublecab long bed 4 x 2 pickup and a Travel Lite 625 truck camper. I want to make sure that I won't have an overweight problem. I will be the only passenger. I weigh 160 lbs.

Here are the specs for the pickup in pounds:

GVWR: 7000
GAWR: 8050
Curb Weight: 5345
Payload: 1655
Reserve axle capacity: 2705

FAWR: 3900
Curb weight front: 3080
Reserve axle capacity front: 820

RAWR: 4150
Curb weight rear: 2265
Reserve axle capacity rear: 1885

Here are the specs for the camper:

Dry weight: 1285 lbs
9 gallon fresh tank. No grey or black tanks
Floor length 6.2 feet
I want to have the camper all the war forward so as to have a deck utilizing the remaining bed and tailgate.

The center of gravity will be way forward, at least 12 inches from the rear axle. The Toyota manual says to keep the center of gravity within a few inches of the rear axle.

Will I be okay with weight if I keep my stuff to a minimum and will the forward center of gravity be a problem? Anything else I should be concerned about?

Here is a write-up on the camper if you're interested:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2016-travel-lite-625-super-lite

Thanks for your advice.
46 REPLIES 46

Richandtd
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth i love toyota trucks but before i bought a tc i saw tundra's just loaded with a bed load of wood and it was sitting real low. I've got a ram 3500 and am with in me weight carrying capacity and I will be getting air bags.
2007 Ram 3500 DRW 5.9 diesel 4x4 Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer
Torklift tie downs
1998 Fleetwood Caribou 11M 3.4 kW generator
Two year old Boston Terrier Yes I'm a dog person

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
myway_1, I am very pleased that your thread has been positive. Lots of good feed back without the typical Trolling and Flaming BS. I congratulate those members that that posted. From a moderators (and members) point of view thanks.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
myway_1 wrote:
My post wasn't very clear. I will be going with a Ford, GM or Dodge 250 / 2500.

Just sayin' ...you have decided to go with an HD truck. Get the 1 ton...
No advantage to the 3/4 ton.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

myway_1
Explorer
Explorer
My post wasn't very clear. I will be going with a Ford, GM or Dodge 250 / 2500.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
myway_1 wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. Your advice is much appreciated. If I decide to go the route of a truck camper I will go with a gas powered, rear wheel drive heavy duty truck.

Now that the decision has been made, I will tell you that the reason I wanted a Tundra is the terrific rating they get in terms of cost and frequency of repairs from the survey that Consumer Reports subscribers submit but I doubt if many of those people haul a truck camper or heavy cargo with their vehicles.

One, or both of these is the problem:

1. Toyota doesn't make a heavy duty pickup truck.

2. Camper manufacturers do not produce a product that is TRULY workable on a light-duty pickup. The "dry" unit would have to come in at under 1000lbs, and have the amenities that people expect. Such a thing may not be possible without using exotic lightweight materials, which then price the camper right out of the market.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

myway_1
Explorer
Explorer
Rear wheel drive meaning 2 wheel drive. Sorry about that.

Bedlam
Maybe 2wd instead of 4wd?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
rear wheel drive

I am a little unclear why this comment. None of the GM, Ford or Ram heavy duty trucks are front wheel drive. They are all rear wheel drive.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
My Jan 16 CR has satisfaction rating of trucks:
Chevy 2500HD 80%
GMC 2500HD 80%
Ram 2500 80%
Toyota Tundra 77%
Ford F250 75%
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

myway_1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. Your advice is much appreciated. If I decide to go the route of a truck camper I will go with a gas powered, rear wheel drive heavy duty truck.

Now that the decision has been made, I will tell you that the reason I wanted a Tundra is the terrific rating they get in terms of cost and frequency of repairs from the survey that Consumer Reports subscribers submit but I doubt if many of those people haul a truck camper or heavy cargo with their vehicles.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
myway_1 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

That is just plane wrong!
Now, if you compare Tundra to a F250 King Ranch 4X4 crew cab, then I can see it. But, being a prudent shopper, finding a lightly used 4X2 long bed 2500 series with a 6.0L gas motor, then NO your flat out wrong! Kids bought a well equipped Tundra and paid more than they could have spent for a decently equipped 2500 fro Ram or GM. Fords are just too proud of their products for my tastes.

I did searches on Auto trader for 2008, 8 cyl, under 100,000 miles in the Southeastern US (where I live) and got these prices:

Toyota Tundra $20,890
Ford F250 $26,926
Chevy and GMC 2500 $28,608

I wasn't able to get reliable results if I tried to be more specific, so this includes all bed sizes, all trims and both 4 x 4 and 4 x 2. Are these prices wrong?
About two months ago, I bought a 2004 Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab, DRW, 4x4 with the diesel and 104,000 miles. I paid $19,500 for it. It does not have the new smell, but was close after I had the interior detailed.I have done about $1,000 (including brakes) in repairs on it, and now it is ready to go. I could have spent $30,000 to $45,000 on a new smell truck. If you have to have new, then do so. For me the $10 to $25 thousand dollars saved, will go a very long way in any repairs I might need.

This new to me truck will replace my 1996 Dodge 2500 SRW 2x4 DSL. It has worked well for over 150,000 miles with my 4,200 pound TC, towing my 2500 pound Samurai.I am totally satisfied with the '96, but having had it since 2001, I am ready for a change. I really do not need the '04, but do like its creature comforts.

Put me in the do not do it camp on the 1/2 ton truck. With the exception of the rear axle, it is pretty easy to upgrade everything on the truck to haul the camper you have in mind. In my opinion, you do not need a 1-ton, but the cost difference between a 1500 and 2500 is really not worth serious discussion. I posted about my 3500 only to show there is not a great deal of difference in cost. I will also suggest resisting the temptation of a short bed. It will limit you on what TCs you can have.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to the others. Do yourself a favor. Buy a bigger truck, you will be much happier in the long run.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not so much that you may overload the axle rating (many here are over the posted axle limit)...it's the type of axle you will be overloading.
A semi float vs a full floater makes all the difference.

With an HD truck your axle limit reflects the tires/wheels. These can be ea$ily upgraded.

With a half tom truck your axle rating IS the axle. I don't think you could easily upgrade that.

All that does not mean you can't carry a TC on a half ton...you certainly can. But the weight becomes much more critical. You don't want to exceed the posted axle rating on a half ton.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ultimately there is NOTHING stopping you from putting a TravelLite 625 on a Toyota Tundra. No laws say you can't. No insurance company is going to refuse to sell you coverage. Heck, the RV dealer will happily load it for you; just sign on the dotted line.

CAN all the doom and gloom happen? SURE! Will it? Probably not. That's the truth.

Your truck is not going to fall on a pile the moment the camper touches it. The truck is not going to burst into a huge fireball and take out a busload of orphans and nuns.

It won't handle like a sports car, but unless you are a complete moron, you will compensate by driving slower and allowing yourself more time and space on the road.

Will tires blow, axles break? Maybe, but not right away, and if you keep on top of maintenance, keep good tires on the truck, you can minimize the chances of that happening. Most likely you will not be able to use the camper nearly as much as you'd like to, and what little you get to use the camper will put minimal wear on the truck.

The REAL question you need to ask yourself is, "WILL I BE HAPPY WITH IT?" You're spending $30,000 to $35,000 on a truck and camper here that is hardly ideal on paper. You are taking a HUGE chance that you will *HATE* driving it after the newness wears off.

If you hate it, then what? Glue on some more suspension mods? Take a huge hit and trade something in? Leave it sit and rot in the driveway?

A comfortable rig makes for a comfortable driver. A comfortable driver is a safe driver. Everyone has a different idea of what "comfortable" is. You can take a chance that this "outside the box" combination will suit you. It's your money.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.