cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rack and Pinion. Again!

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I am beyond frustrated with my truck. 2004 1500 LT3 Silverado ext cab. Last week it was replacing the gauge center. Two days later I notice oil drips on the garage floor... dead center front end. I'd just had the oil changed and wondered if was just a messy job.

So...back to the dealer and up on the lift. Rack and pinion is leaking. My first reaction was "are you kidding me????" I had that replaced in October 2013 with all new stuff at a dealership in Clearwater FL. It was not a cheap repair. I called the FL dealer and asked about warranty and was told 12 months. They agreed that it should have lasted more than 2 years and 60k miles but there was nothing they could do. They suggested that I call GM corporate customer service to see if they would help out. I live in Missouri again by the way.

Any GM folks out there with thoughts on this? I don't really want to spend $$$$$ for another r & p replacement when I can't count on the parts lasting. The original R/P went 200,000 miles. Seems like the replacement should have gone longer than 60k.

cts
32 REPLIES 32

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Rack and pinion would drip dead center?
Looking at the front of the truck and directly behind where the license plate is... back about 1 foot. Oil drips on the garage floor.

Perhaps I need a second opinion.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rack and pinion would drip dead center?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
"Just had the oil changed" is the key issue for me. I'd clean any wet areas with brake clean and try to dry things up. Then drive it and watch it to be sure it has a leak. Too many times it's something related to what was just touched.

Now days it's best to go under there and see for yourself if the plug and filter are tight. I had a rotation and balance and the front tires were something like 63/79 and the rear were 79/84. Cant remember exactly but it was off a stupid amount in the front and caused it to pull bad.