cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

regular cab towing

blacktop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an old fan of regular cab trucks. I now tow a light-weight 7,000 lb, 5th wheel with a Ram 2500 crew cab and 5.7 Hemi, which proved to be a good match.
My wife likes the regular cabs because she finds them easier to drive with the improved visibility through the rear window. I like them for the same reason and also for the longer bed without a very long truck length. Other than us two we travel with a 14 lb mini dachshund.
Our next truck will in all likelihood be a regular cab. Does anyone else have the same idea?
20 REPLIES 20

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
brulaz wrote:
Has anyone mentioned that regular cabs have quite a bit more payload than the bigger cabs?

Yes, I had a 2500HD regular cab that had almost 4000 lbs payload!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
More payload, as brulaz mentioned, and easier to park. For some, same leg room, plus good usable storage behind the seat. Thousands of dollars less money to buy, makes perfectly good sense to me for those who do not need additional seating capacity. I have a quad cab now, but the next one will be a regular.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone mentioned that regular cabs have quite a bit more payload than the bigger cabs? And you can be assured that none of it will be taken up by back seat passengers.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
If available, I would buy an extra cab. The quad cab is more room than we need and a full size 4-door adds too much WB imo.

X2
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
brulaz wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

An Super or extra cab with 8ft bed will still be shorter than a 4 door crew cab and you can easily see out the rear window easily.

An F150 SuperCab with 8' bed is the longest truck in the F150 fleet as the crew cab only comes with the 6.5' bed (or even 5.5' bed).

I have F150 SuperCab with 6.5' bed and really like the configuration, length and wheelbase. Do not want anything bigger.

But my next truck will probably be an F150 HDPayload or perhaps a RAM 2500. And a Supercab with 6.5' bed is not avail in either of those. So we are looking at Regular cabs too. AFAIK the RAM 2500 Reg Cab has more space behind the seat than the new F150 Reg Cab.

We want the space behind the seat not for people, but for computers, tools and groceries.

:R

I don't consider "F150s" in MY fleet of vehicles..

Learned many years ago, use the CORRECT TOOL for the job and the job gets done faster and better.. F150 HDs just were not stout enough for my usage, cost me a lot of money in suspension repairs..

F250/350 super cab with 6 3/4ft bed IS the same length as a F250/350 regular cab with 8ft bed..

The longest is a F250/350 CREW CAB WITH 8FT BED (can't get THAT combination in a F150).

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

An Super or extra cab with 8ft bed will still be shorter than a 4 door crew cab and you can easily see out the rear window easily.

An F150 SuperCab with 8' bed is the longest truck in the F150 fleet as the crew cab only comes with the 6.5' bed (or even 5.5' bed).

I have F150 SuperCab with 6.5' bed and really like the configuration, length and wheelbase. Do not want anything bigger.

But my next truck will probably be an F150 HDPayload or perhaps a RAM 2500. And a Supercab with 6.5' bed is not avail in either of those. So we are looking at Regular cabs too. AFAIK the RAM 2500 Reg Cab has more space behind the seat than the new F150 Reg Cab.

We want the space behind the seat not for people, but for computers, tools and groceries.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
I remember when reg cab trucks were the normal and a few had crew cabs (air force) comes to mind. Just don't see were many regular cab trucks on dealers lots. I guess the trades still use a reg cab truck.

Reg cabs are sold, but not "pushed", they are typically equipped with "fleet" type usage in mind so you won't see much sitting on the lots..

There IS much more profit headroom in upselling crewcabs and many people simply "gotta have it all" so you will find a lot more crewcabs sitting on dealer lots.

I have bought two supercabs which my local dealer did a multi state search of new inventory.. They found them equipped rather close to my wish list.. They did a dealer to dealer trade to get those trucks for me. That equaled a happy customer!

My last two trucks, the dealer was not able to locate any trucks equipped the way I wanted so we ordered exactly what we wanted.. Cost nothing extra but did have to wait 6 weeks to get built.. Still very happy customer!

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember when reg cab trucks were the normal and a few had crew cabs (air force) comes to mind. Just don't see were many regular cab trucks on dealers lots. I guess the trades still use a reg cab truck.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No way would I ever consider a regular cab truck. Loss of seat travel, loss of inside storage are two big issues for me.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not want to go back to the reg cab, but have no use for the crew. I had to order my last Super cab. The couple I found on lots, in a 200 mile radius, were not what I wanted. I won't buy something I don't want, just because a CC may have a better trade-in down the road. It's just the two of us, and little puppy.

Jerry

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I started with regular cab trucks. Great for a single guy, or someone without kids. Then came the extended cab short bed truck. Even the wife was OK with that. Now, we have 2 crew cab long bed trucks (the wife drives a Highlander), and with 3 kids, that's where we're going to be for a while. Yes, its more difficult to drive around town and park, but we manage. But we also don't have a garage or any constraints in which we would have to limit ourselves to something less.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
blacktop wrote:
I'm an old fan of regular cab trucks. I now tow a light-weight 7,000 lb, 5th wheel with a Ram 2500 crew cab and 5.7 Hemi, which proved to be a good match.
My wife likes the regular cabs because she finds them easier to drive with the improved visibility through the rear window. I like them for the same reason and also for the longer bed without a very long truck length. Other than us two we travel with a 14 lb mini dachshund.
Our next truck will in all likelihood be a regular cab. Does anyone else have the same idea?

I grew up with "regular" cab trucks, my Dad always bought regular cabs.. But back in the 1970s-80s there wasn't much choice..

While a regular cab can be nice, I have found that like a few other posters a "Super" or "extra" cab is a real nice compromise over the larger 4 door crew cab.

Even for two people, not having the cab rear window in my back makes for a very pleasant drive. The extra space allows one to move the seat back further when no one is in the back seats..

Long trips we can sit a small cooler behind the seats also.

We also tend to flip the rear seats up and put our groceries and any other purchases that we don't want sitting in an open bed when shopping.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
xtech wrote:
We use a Tundra reg cab long box to tow our 5th wheel because it has 1820 lbs payload which is the most a Tundra has. We would rather have a double cab incase we want to take others with us but needed the payload. One thing to note is that the Tundra reg cab has much more room behind seat in cab than the other regular cabs so we find that useful as you can get groceries or whatever and still have room in cab. Most other reg cabs end right behind the seat.

My regular cab 2013 RAM 1500 has a cargo space/shelf behind the seat. I am 6' tall, and my seat is nowhere near my back window, or even that shelf thingy. I carry a tool belt behind the passenger seat (in that space) plus have room between the seat and that "shelf" for an emergency kit that includes jumper cables, etc...).

Found a stock photo from a 5500, but my 1500 has the same thing:

The reason you like four doors, is the reason I like two doors. I am never called upon to shuttle people---I keep the center console DOWN, and pretend I do not know that 3rd seat is there ๐Ÿ™‚

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Real trucks have 2 doors and an 8' bed--- My kid calls those four door contraptions "Convertible SUV's"

I blame the overbearing cost of trucks on the four door models. They have become the new family mobile, even amongst those who do not need a truck. Every soccer mom out there, "needs" a truck because they might want to stop and buy a bag of mulch. The popularity has about driven those who need (tradesman and RVer's) out of the market.

Send your complaints about the above statements to:

1 800 CRY BABY extension WAH WAH WAH.

I fully understand the need for the four door truck for the families that love to camp. We used to take two vehicles when the four of us would not fit in my two door truck (limited the amount of travel we could do if we wanted to tow).

I also understand that in some cases....dad's work truck is the family mobile.

Still, I own a two door truck....every day driver that is normally just me. Plenty of bed space, even with a 20" crossover box, with my 8' bed. Kids are grown, so plenty of room for the wife and I (plus dog) to hook up the TT and head out.

Sarcasm aside....to each their own, and the market is what the market is. Demand is driving the supply, and four door trucks are popular. You won't find many two door trucks on the dealer lot.