cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rack and Pinion. Again!

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I am beyond frustrated with my truck. 2004 1500 LT3 Silverado ext cab. Last week it was replacing the gauge center. Two days later I notice oil drips on the garage floor... dead center front end. I'd just had the oil changed and wondered if was just a messy job.

So...back to the dealer and up on the lift. Rack and pinion is leaking. My first reaction was "are you kidding me????" I had that replaced in October 2013 with all new stuff at a dealership in Clearwater FL. It was not a cheap repair. I called the FL dealer and asked about warranty and was told 12 months. They agreed that it should have lasted more than 2 years and 60k miles but there was nothing they could do. They suggested that I call GM corporate customer service to see if they would help out. I live in Missouri again by the way.

Any GM folks out there with thoughts on this? I don't really want to spend $$$$$ for another r & p replacement when I can't count on the parts lasting. The original R/P went 200,000 miles. Seems like the replacement should have gone longer than 60k.

cts
32 REPLIES 32

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
covetsthesun wrote:
BenK wrote:
Another possibility and ask if you have the tow package with an engine oil cooler?

The engine oil lines run over to the main radiator and there is an internal engine
oil cooler to the main radiator main tank

The lines and/or the fittings might have gotten 'bumped' by the mechanic...or the
radiator is leaking
I do have a tow package, but I don't believe the engine oil cooler was included. Wouldn't the radiator be leaking a greenish coolant?

Your truck should be using Dexcool coolant which isn't green. Dexcool
Ok, we are using Dexcool. The drips on the floor are not red.

covetsthesun wrote:
BenK wrote:
Another possibility and ask if you have the tow package with an engine oil cooler?

The engine oil lines run over to the main radiator and there is an internal engine

The lines and/or the fittings might have gotten 'bumped' by the mechanic...or the
radiator is leaking
I do have a tow package, but I don't believe the engine oil cooler was included. Wouldn't the radiator be leaking a greenish coolant?

Your truck should be using Dexcool coolant which isn't green. Dexcool

Delete

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
It is a radiator inside of the main radiator

So to leak outside of the main radiators hot tank...it would be the fittings for
the oil lines...or the lines themselves are leaking...OEMs are not known to put
in the best on these things...or anything for that matter...just gotta last past
the warranty period and then some...

OEMs and of course the government/military buy from the 'lowest bidder'...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

radiator is leaking

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

radiator is leaking
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
covetsthesun wrote:
It's not red. Not solid black...but black ish.

Your oil was recently changed. Your PS rack was replaced 2 years ago, so it's very unlikely it failed. The oil is not red or clear like typical PS fluid, so it sounds like your dealer is trying to make a buck off you. Like others say I'd clean it up good and keep an eye on it.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Agree...wipe/clean it good and then recheck over a few days/weeks to for sure ID the source

Could also be the hoses and/or their fittings

Also, make sure the assembly is not moving around. That could cause the fittings/hoses to go

Suspension lifted?

Over sized tires?

Blew my steering box and cracked the frame where that box bolted on....lazy while
off roading and used my over sized tires to move boulders outa the way while
out there with my K5...over sized on pavement would likewise, but not as soon as it did

Normal truck all the way around. Street only, daily driver. Nothing wiggles as far as we can tell.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree...wipe/clean it good and then recheck over a few days/weeks to for sure ID the source

Could also be the hoses and/or their fittings

Also, make sure the assembly is not moving around. That could cause the fittings/hoses to go

Suspension lifted?

Over sized tires?

Blew my steering box and cracked the frame where that box bolted on....lazy while
off roading and used my over sized tires to move boulders outa the way while
out there with my K5...over sized on pavement would likewise, but not as soon as it did
-Ben Picture of my rig

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
2oldman wrote:
My F450 PSD started having high pressure oil pump problems in its later life. Dunno if yours has that - mine was on top of the engine, oil pooled up there and dripped dead center.

OP has a gas engine- no exterior high pressure oil pump like your diesel. To the OP, what color is the oil? PS fluid should be red or clear in most cases.

It's not red. Not solid black...but black ish.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
My F450 PSD started having high pressure oil pump problems in its later life. Dunno if yours has that - mine was on top of the engine, oil pooled up there and dripped dead center.

OP has a gas engine- no exterior high pressure oil pump like your diesel. To the OP, what color is the oil? PS fluid should be red or clear in most cases.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the top of your engine for pooled oil. If it's as cramped in there as mine was, it won't be easy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
covetsthesun wrote:
Perhaps I need a second opinion.

It was in recently because the oil gauge was reading maxed. The dealer checked the oil pressure and it was fine. It was determined that the gauge cluster was the issue and it was replaced. The oil pressure has been checked twice now and it's fine...so don't think that's the problem. But heck... I'm not a mechanic.

cts

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
covetsthesun wrote:
Perhaps I need a second opinion.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
"Just had the oil changed" is the key issue for me. I'd clean any wet areas with brake clean and try to dry things up. Then drive it and watch it to be sure it has a leak. Too many times it's something related to what was just touched.

Now days it's best to go under there and see for yourself if the plug and filter are tight. I had a rotation and balance and the front tires were something like 63/79 and the rear were 79/84. Cant remember exactly but it was off a stupid amount in the front and caused it to pull bad.

I'm watching it. The service advisor told me it wasn't "critical" but to watch for difficulty turning or whining from the steering. That does not make me feel confident.