cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 1500 V-6

calliopeguy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been towing a variety of RVs with a variety of trucks for the past 20 years. A couple of years ago we decided the economic picture indicated its time to pull the plug on our RV lifestyle so we sold the F-350 Diesel and 34' Silverback 5th wheel. Then we decided maybe we could kinda still do a little camping so we bought a Chev 2500 and used Travel trailer. That was a switch because we always had a 5th wheel but it worked just fine. Last year we decided we really have to quit so we sold out again and bought a 2014 Ram 1500 with a gas V-6 for my daily driver. The gas mileage is fantastic (I have done over 30mpg). Now we're thinking maybe we can just buy another older used travel trailer and at least use it to go visit my kids in another state and maybe one or two other shorter trips.
This truck was never intended by us to be used for towing but it comes equipped with a built-in brake controller and 7-pin trailer plug. It has an 8-speed transmission and 3.23 (I think....lowest one whatever that is)rear-end. The book says I should be able to pull 5,000 empty and 7,000 gross. The truck is what it is without any chance (or desire) to upgrade. Is there anybody out there that has any experience, or know of anybody else pulling any kind of a camper with this truck? Will this transmission hold up pulling a travel trailer?
Ken and Renee
2014 Ram Gas V-6
Semper Fi! W0CSC
17 REPLIES 17

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tent trailer is about what you can handle.

CT51
Explorer
Explorer
I think the tow rating is 7,550lbs with 3.55 rear end, and 4,600 with 3.21 (this is for crew cab 2WD). I have a 2015 with the 3.6 and 3.55. My trailer ready to travel is 5,400lbs, and it pulls it fine. I tow in 6th gear, which is 2,500 RPM's at 65MPH. It will shift to 5th on anything more than a small hill, which is 3,000 RPM's. Since these trucks shift so smooth, and are so quiet, no one would notice but me. I think you would be fine with the rated load (4,800 lbs).

CT51

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I have a much older rig than you do with a 3.42 rear end...see sig.

What engine do you have?