cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM 3500 DRW W/6.4 Hemi

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just found a 2016 RAM 3500 DRW w/ 6.4 HEMI gas engine 3:73 gears with 10K miles and 4wd locally by private owner for a smokin' price. I may want to put a AF 992 on it and tow my enclosed 7x14' trailer with quad. This truck is one year old and has never been in salt. Opinions?

Please confine your comments to this combo and NOT turn this into a AF vs. Lance or Ford/RAM vs. GM or gas vs. diesel contest. These threads can get out of hand in very short order. I also plan on carrying my short box AF 811 temporarily for the remainder of this year, until finances allow a 992 or equivalent, I already realize the pitfalls/shortcomings of doing this but it would be temporary.

I hope Bedlam chimes in on this as I value his thoughts as well as what others have to contribute.
Thanks,
TG

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

55 REPLIES 55

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
There were a lot of old Ford and Chevy duallies with the 460's and the 454's running around getting the job done, I think the truck is great, though I would prefer the 4.10 gears. I have owned 2 diesels, and love the simplicity and worry free driving of the gas.
Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
It's not limited to age, and age isn't an excuse and doesn't always imply wisdom. People forget what's best for them isn't always the best for everyone else.

I know what I do is the best and I can prove it on the paper :C
But I change my vehicle quite often and I don't judge the brand, or engine choice by ops, or bad luck that happen 20 years ago.
Point is that works in one place, doesn't have to work in another.
I drive diesel Mercedes for years and in California you can find 3 European car shops in single city block. Driving on Nebraska highways, seeing single Mercedes in whole day was rare. Try to find a shop who can service newer models.
Than I used "old" with farts meaning the characters, not calendar age.
I age farther than I want to admit, but act younger than friends 25 years less in age.
Coming to the topic - forum is more place for chat, than exchange of solid technical information.
You want to make sense out of that - get pen. paper and calculator ready.
Nobody is going to do your homework here.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, just so long as you don't try to haul a triple slide on a Toyota, you'll be ok..lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not limited to age, and age isn't an excuse and doesn't always imply wisdom. People forget what's best for them isn't always the best for everyone else.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old farts having too much time on their hands 😄

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Troutguy wrote:

Please confine your comments to this combo and NOT turn this into a AF vs. Lance or Ford/RAM vs. GM or gas vs. diesel contest.
Thanks,
TG

This place always ends up doing this exact same thing. It can't be stopped. 😉
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Here's the straight scoop. I ran gas trucks most of my life because the truth is, diesel pickups do not math out. I ran the numbers over and over for years and years... the fact is gas trucks cost less overall even with less MPG.

The reason I finally bought one was POWER, and reliability. Mostly power.
I know several fleet owners that run one-tons, one is a tow company, that figured this out years ago and runs all gas trucks. The accountant isn't lying.
My diesel cost way, way more than I ever wanted to have into a pickup truck, (I've got more $$ into just the transmission than I wanted to put into a truck!) but it does make over 400HP and 800 ft/lbs, and I can turn it up further - a lot further - if I want and it does get twice the mileage as my 454. It goes a LOT better, but it does not save money.

The only other thing is resale value, especially when gas is high, is horrible on a gas truck. No one wants it.

But if the gas truck is your choice, don't worry about its ability to haul you and all your stuff. We're all spoiled on crazy torque and have forgotten that Hemi is far stronger than anything you could buy not so long ago.

Dig up an old issue of Trailer Life from the early '70s... everyone used to tow with their cars!

Exactly!

This is the age old diesel/gas argument and you'll never convince either side.

I'm a gas guy. I love my SRW 3500.

Love the power of diesel, but I drive my SRW truck as a near daily driver, and the diesel will NEVER pencil out cheaper, especially if you keep the truck until the wheels fall off (dad has 430,000 on his Chevy gasser, original shortblock).

Put the difference between the diesels and gas trucks original cost in the bank today.

Interest on the additional 8k loan amount

Diesel more $$ at the pump

DEF - who wants to have another tank besides the fuel tank?

Cost of maintenance difference. Let's price those injectors, pumps, transmissions, and emissions stuff.

If you need/want the power, then pay the Piper, no harm, no foul. But it will never be cheaper.

If the truck is adequate for your needs - go for it.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tell me about it... I put a ton of cash in my 7.3 when I was working. If I had to do it over now, would be a gasser.

But I love the smell of diesel smoke (hillbilly incense)

I have 350 at the rear wheels in direct (Ford SVO built E4OD with metal clutch packs and 2 Hayden transmission coolers.) on the dyno. It's a fun truck for an old fart. Problem is, it's getting hard to get into, it's 6 over stock so it's up there a bit. Solid axles front and back with an axle flip in the front and lockers in both, Detroit Tru Track in the back, ARB in the front. I went for reliability not raw power. Good old school leaves on both ends with Firestone bags out back and oversize sway bars with quick disconnects. Gale Banks provided the parts, Ford SVO did the build for me. Nice to have a Ford Engineer in the immediate family.

Mine is 2 years older than yours, '97 Ford 350 XLT 4x4 CC SRW.

No emissions stuff. Take the DEF and shove it. The only thing DEF is good for is fertilizng hay fields. I spray it on. Smells like cat pee but makes hay grow.

I need a step ladder to get in the camper...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's the straight scoop. I ran gas trucks most of my life because the truth is, diesel pickups do not math out. I ran the numbers over and over for years and years... the fact is gas trucks cost less overall even with less MPG.

The reason I finally bought one was POWER, and reliability. Mostly power.
I know several fleet owners that run one-tons, one is a tow company, that figured this out years ago and runs all gas trucks. The accountant isn't lying.
My diesel cost way, way more than I ever wanted to have into a pickup truck, (I've got more $$ into just the transmission than I wanted to put into a truck!) but it does make over 400HP and 800 ft/lbs, and I can turn it up further - a lot further - if I want and it does get twice the mileage as my 454. It goes a LOT better, but it does not save money.

The only other thing is resale value, especially when gas is high, is horrible on a gas truck. No one wants it.

But if the gas truck is your choice, don't worry about its ability to haul you and all your stuff. We're all spoiled on crazy torque and have forgotten that Hemi is far stronger than anything you could buy not so long ago.

Dig up an old issue of Trailer Life from the early '70s... everyone used to tow with their cars!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Gear ratio is whole science.
I order my new F350 dually with lowest ratio the factory provides, yet hauling 18,000 lb total on California "killer grades" the engine is very happy at 1700 rpm and doesn't even think about downshifting.
I think I could use another overdrive even with cargo trailer.
I don't think anybody who can do simple math has illusion that diesel doesn't make sense on long run, but the $8000 up front cost when buying new truck will take long time to recoup for some.
Than when buying used truck, the price proportion is even bigger.

That all hinges on the cost per gallon of fuel and your average MPG.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gear ratio is whole science.
I order my new F350 dually with lowest ratio the factory provides, yet hauling 18,000 lb total on California "killer grades" the engine is very happy at 1700 rpm and doesn't even think about downshifting.
I think I could use another overdrive even with cargo trailer.
I don't think anybody who can do simple math has illusion that diesel doesn't make sense on long run, but the $8000 up front cost when buying new truck will take long time to recoup for some.
Than when buying used truck, the price proportion is even bigger.

Bedlam
Optimal performance would be with a different gear set than what is currently on the truck. Whether the price pencils out to do the swap verses finding another truck is up to the OP. The higher ratio would allow using the full range of the transmission better rather turning a 6-speed into 5-speed because the top gear is unusable.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Suggestions to re gear a brand new 4wd truck are sort of out there imo. Why spend 3 grand to make your truck a little better? Your almost half way to making it a lot better then and you don't get any of the residual value of the lot better option.

Not sure why you'd add a gear vendors to a truck with double overdrive already. No need for them on any newer truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
About as many opinions as members here lol!
Fact is, new Hemi dually will not have that much less power than your LB7, IF it's still bone stock. If your truck is tuned, it'll blow the doors off the Hemi, loaded. And empty too.
Stability and payload will be a huge bump for the dually but you know this after 10 years with a little truck under a big camper.
Fuel mileage.....guessing you pull 12-13 mpg Avg with the camper and boat.
Unless the 6.4 hemi is magical compared to every other newer gasser hd truck I have seat time in, you'll be able to subtract several mpg and add a couple thousand rpms to the equation going to the gasser over the Dmax.
It will be more than suitable for what you're planning. It will not be easy on fuel and won't blow your hair back as much as any newer diesel.
Think about fuel prices for your AK trip and how many miles you intend to put on it. That may help in the decision.
As well, there is a reason it is a "screamin deal". See any screamin deals on diesels recently? Me neither.
Decision is do you want power or lower price of admission?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold