cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram owners; Ram 1500/2500 ownership question

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing a bit of research about my next truck. We are looking at an older Airstream to restore for retirement travel; weighs about 7,000 loaded. The trailer will be paid for cash, so we have a good bit to spend on a more comfortable truck. I would love to have a 3500 Longhorn Mega dually, but can't afford that $72k entry point; about $50k is closer to our reality. We are looking at the Longhorn 5.7 Hemi, either in the 1500 or 2500; either are more than capable to pull this, and are very close in price (both 4x2)- only about $1k or so apart as built (once current incentives come into play). We could go much cheaper, but like the comfort and features of the LH enough to justify spending the extra cash (this will be our last major purchase before retirement). No fancy extras like the moon roof, air suspension or Rambox.

75% of ownership will be standard duties; commuting, errands, groceries, pulling a small boat, hardware store runs, etc, so the 1500 would be better suited for daily use. However, I've always wanted a Mega, and it would be an awesome towing vehicle; I just cringe at the thought of unloaded fuel economy with that beast; the 1500 isn't exactly a hybrid, either, but should be on par with the 6.7 I sold last year, or at least 50% better than the 2500 unloaded (towing mileage will suck either way). Both have positives and negatives.

In either case I would like to hear from 1500 and 2500 owners (trim excluded) about your experiences.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

***looking for a better truck this fall***
41 REPLIES 41

shawnw15
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a 2012 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 and tow a jayco 267bhs with a dry weight of 5300 lbs. I feel the engine and transmission do a good job while towing, however I am disappointed with the rear coil suspension of the ram 1500. I have a nice equalizer 4 point hitch and have tried using timbrens and now use airbags inside my coils, but I still regret not getting a 2500. I look nearly every day and if I had $45k to drop on a truck it would be on a Ram 2500 big horn with the 6.4 hemi. I have test drove the 6.4 and was very impressed. Good luck with your search.

Shawn
2013 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 267BHS - Equal-i-zer WDH
2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 - Timbren SES

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
2500 and the 6.4L
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2009 5.7 1500 RAM Crew cab with the 545RFE trans and 3.90 gears short bed. I towed a 8,000-8,500 lb Keystone with it and it did well but I was always sort of in a state of being maxed out. I now have a 2015 RAM 2500 Mega cab 4X4 with the 6.4 and 66RFE trans, 4.10 gears. It tows like a beast. This truck is a Big Horn with every option except the bed liner and of course the diesel. The price was $45K before tax and tags.
Comparisons---
The 2500 tows circles around the 1500, much more power and stability.
The 1500 had a slightly better ride on the street but I attribute a lot of that to the 2500's straight front axle.
The much shorter wheelbase 1500 was much easier to park and do U turns with.
Towing MPG on both trucks is about the same, 9 MPG or so but I tend to tow much faster with the 2500. I think a side by side comparison going down the road at the same speed the 2500 would get better mileage.
Empty mileage on the 2500 is worse than the 1500. On long freeway trips my 1500 would get between 21-23 MPG with a best of 24.2. The 2500 gets about 18 mpg with 19.8 being my best trip. I check my mileage via calculator not the evic. I only have 10K miles on the 2500 so I expect mileage to get better.
City mileage on my evic for the 1500 was about 12-13. The 2500 gets between 11 and 12.
If you go 2500 you can get the auto level air suspension on the rear which is slick, but if you ever decide on a bigger 5th wheel with a dry hitch weight of over 2,000 lbs you may not want the auto level as it could get over taxed quickly.
The diesel models cost about 10K more and are not rated to tow most 5th wheel trailers. You see a lot of 2500 Diesel models out there towing big (2,000 lb plus dry hitch weight) 5th wheels but just know they are over the cargo rating with them. The 6.4 has about a 1,000 more cargo rate capacity than the CDT. Of course as we all know the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is the rear spring rating. They have the same axles, wheels, tires, bearing etc. The 3500 uses leaf springs and the 2500 uses coils.
Towing/driving 10-15K miles a year the big Hemi would be a smart choice for a 10K or less weight trailer. It takes a long time to re-coop the extra cost of a diesel and the maintenance cost is much less. The diesel models do have a better trade in value and they do get better mileage though.

Hemi_Power
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 26ft Puma 5th that hits the scales around 8000lbs loaded
First towed it with an 03 Quad Cab Laramie 5.7 with 3:92 gears. Did an adequate job, lots of power but at the max of GCVWR and certainly over a bit on GVWR.
In 2010, found a great deal on a 2008 1500 MegaCab (really a lighter springed 2500)Same 5.7 but with 3:73 gears and full floating rear axle. Night and day difference in ride and stability. Still have it. Just got back from southern PA, 10hr ride, wouldn't do it in anyone's 1/2 ton. In my opinion, some of these new half tons towing specs are grossly over rated or our 3/4 tons are grossly under rated! If you are going to do any towing, buy a truck to tow, not to do the groceries
2006 Puma 249 Fifth Wheel
2008 Dodge 1500 HEMI Mega Cab
Reese 16K Signature Series Slider Hitch

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely love my 1500 Outdoorsman with the 5.7L HEMI. Plenty of power for tooling around town and surprisingly economical...it does better around town than my old 4Runner V8 did. It towed my 4500lb. HTT with ease. Picking up my new Springdale on Thursday and I don't anticipate any issues with it towing that either.
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Norfla71 have you driven a 2500 since they changed them over to coils in the rear? With the tires aired down they ride very well. If you were thinking of keeping the currant RV I would say jump into the 2500. Since you are going with a Airsstream the 1500 will be fine. As I said i tow a 6600# with no sway or power issues at all.

I do think you are over thinking the powertrain cost after warranty IMO. As for the Mopar Factory extended coverage you are correct the diesels do not qualify for the Lifetime Max Care Coverage but you can get a bumper to bumper 7/120,000 plan that covers everything the factory bumper to bumper covers.

I'm not as worried about the engine and or emissions as I am the high dollar electronics that are in my truck. Start adding things like Ford's trailer park assist and you are in the thousands of dollar range to repair that thing. Same with the new hands free park and un-park assist garbage. Forward collision warning and avoidance systems big dollar ticket items to repair. The list goes on and on and at the trim level you want you will want the Lifetime BB coverage if this is going to be your last truck.

Good luck with whatever you get I'm sure you will love either one.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
your fuel mileage comment; yeah, the 2500 will suck fuel all the time, but we will not have a trailer hooked up full time, and fuel economy does come into play. At any rate, we have time to look at both options. I've had several Ford and Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons, and they were bears to live with daily, but great in their element.

I would look into the Bully dog system. As I said before after having it installed for a short time our gas mileage started going up. It climbed considerably in the time we owned the truck. It paid for itself many times over.

We have owned a 2006 1500 dodge mega cab and a 2012 2500 mega cab. Both were 4x4 with the SLT package and the 5.7L
The 2500 was a totally different world at towing. Had the same trailer for both trucks.
I would stay with the 2500 as the weight of the truck itself helped keep the trailer in tow.
We say the 2500 also road better and smoother than the 1500. Gas mileage was also better in the 2500 before we added the bully dog system.

No one on here seems to talk about upgrades to help with to towing and mileage.

We now have our 1 ton Big Horn crew Cab Cummins but we do miss our mega cab.
Can't complain about the mileage for this truck off the show room floor tho.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
A 1500 Ram isn't as stout as a new F150. Not only less power but 5 lug axles versus 6. The new 3.5 Eco will be the class leader among half ton tow vehicles, imo.

Not according to a few owners I've spoken to. They all traded a previous gen 150 or traded out of a Chevy. They all have the same complaint; the lower mass, compared to the previous steel trucks, creates an issue when towing heavier loads. The weight "wags the dog", which is why trucks should be heavier; you need the extra weight to help control the load. Electronic nannies will only go so far to defy physics. Considering I wouldn't tow near what the 150 is capable of without a 2500, the Ram has a more realistic rating.

Considering the Ecoboost is a gas version of the modern diesels (DI, forced induction, required emissions) I can't imagine getting a lot of years use without a lot of expensive problems. On top of that, the Fords a more expensive than Ram; I saw an XLT recently for the same price as a 1500 LH. Add the expense of aluminum repairs and, well, I can't justify it. Chevy is nice but, again, more than Ram.

About your fuel mileage comment; yeah, the 2500 will suck fuel all the time, but we will not have a trailer hooked up full time, and fuel economy does come into play. At any rate, we have time to look at both options. I've had several Ford and Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons, and they were bears to live with daily, but great in their element.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
A 1500 Ram isn't as stout as a new F150. Not only less power but 5 lug axles versus 6. The new 3.5 Eco will be the class leader among half ton tow vehicles, imo.

If you get a gas HD truck, awful mileage comes with the territory so you just have to accept that. Fuelly is a good place to get a good idea on the sort of mileage you'll get in the real world.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I seriously question how a 1500 with the same engine as a 2500 is going to get 50% better fuel mileage. I suspect the two trucks will be extremely close in mileage towing or not. Assuming they have the same gear ratio. The engines are the same, the driver is the same, the body is basically the same. Why would the MPG be so much better?

The 1500 weighs a ton less than the 2500 Mega, has a 3.92 gear v/s 4.10, an 8 speed auto v/s 6 speed, better aerodynamics and aerodynamic aids. Though lighter duty, the 1500 is still pretty stout; much more so than a new F150, which gets pushed around by larger TT much more than the 1500. I also have friends with 4x2, 6.4 bed Laramie's, and they are getting between 22 and 24 unloaded, obviously less towing. A coworker has a 3/4 CC 6.4 and rarely gets over 15 unloaded, or roughly 50% worse than a 1500. Not making numbers up here, as you can find them for yourself with a bit of research.

Again, NO DISELS! Yes, I have reasons for not wanting a modern diesel. They are my reasons; you just have to believe my conviction and move on.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
If you're not getting a Cummins, the 6.4 is a no brainer over the 5.7. More power plus better fuel economy.

I think the diesel is a better choice but it sounds like you're dead set against them for some reason.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RamRider
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to tow your 7000 lb Airstream long term and not up grade to a larger TT this question is easy to answer - get the eco diesel.

We tow 12-15K per year with our 1500 Hemi, it is comfortable to drive with and with our the TT behind it. I think the eco diesel would be a nice step up for you, My friend has a 2015 E.D. with 100,000 miles and it is still going strong.

Enjoy retirement and your Airstream!
2014 Airstream 25FB
2016 Ram
Blue Ox Sway Pro
ARE Topper

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you're towing 10,000 miles a year regardless of what you're towing, the 2500 will ride a lot better once you load it up with the TT tongue weight and gear. It's the empty ride that's a bit stiffer. But considering that you're needing the trucks bed for gear as well and more than likely would have a topper on it, then along with that extra weight in the bed it should ride pretty good.
I have a 12 2500 CTD and yes it does ride a little stiff. But if I put 3-400lbs of whatever in the back and as long as I have the rear tires aired down to 45psi it rides pretty nice.
Of course not knowing how many miles past 10,000 a year you'll be towing empty I can't say if the trade off would be justified or not. That parts up to you.

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I own a 3500. I bought for just a few ticks over 40k. My truck is a diesel. With a little patience or a willing dealer, you can get well below MSRP even for a gasser version of the truck. You should really shoot for the 6.4 Hemi RAM. The front ends are much more heavy duty. However, the HD trucks are like an oxcart compared to a 1500 ride wise. But the Frame is more heavy duty and even though you tow an Airstream today, will you have it for the foreseeable future? Will you have any other hauling needs that require more payload? Is the ride in the 2500 acceptable for your purposes? Both trucks have air and coil spring options for suspension. But the 2500 has Air only on the rear axle while the 1500 has it at all 4 corners. You really need to find a bad road and test drive both vehicles over said bad road. That will be the most telling story of the worst of the worst.

Since you're going gasser, SRW 2500 and 3500 shouldn't have much difference in payload capacity. You don't have a big heavy diesel artificially eating into the arbitrary 10,000 lbs GVWR that all 2500's tend to have. So you really don't need to consider the 3500 in your case. If going diesel, then I'd push for 3500 because of the weight the diesel eats from the 10,000 lbs GVWR. Also, I tend to see the GVWR lowered for a 3500 gas powered truck. So you don't stand to gain much in the case of a gasser 2500 vs 3500. My truck weighs just around 8,000 lbs with me, the wife and a full tank of fuel in it. Gasser is roughly 600 or 800 pounds lighter than the diesel.

Edit: looked at the RAM towing guide and found something odd. For Mega Cabs, there's a big difference in payload between the 2500 and 3500. Like almost 2,000 lbs difference. But for the Crew cab trucks, there's only about a 600 or 800 lbs difference. This is for the 6.4 HEMI 4x4 short bed trucks.

Also, the 6.4 has an MDS system, so it runs on 4 cylinders are really light loads. So it tries to save fuel whenever it can and tends to do better than the base 5.7 in the HD truck.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)