cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ran roof air all day on only solar, batteries still full

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a long journey, but I'm finally there.

So--the back-story, I have a 2-slide Eagle Cap 1160, when I got it 6mos used, the previous owner ordered it stripped - no AC, gen, not even tvs. I put a 13,5kbtu AC in because my previous Arctic Fox had a 11k and I had days where it didn't cut the mustard.
I put in (6) 145ah AGM batteries and a Magnum Technologies 3KW Hybrid Inverter, and a Honda 2000.
First attempts to run the roof air on the Honda were hit n miss, mostly miss, even using the hybrid function of the inverter.
Then I put 600w of solar on my trailer(The Shotwagon) with (6) of it's own 145ah batteries and ran 4ga to the hitch an Anderson disconnects to the TC.
That worked 'ok'. But at the end of a hot day, I killed about a half of my battery capacity, voltage would be down to 12.1-ish from 13.7 float.
Then I put 800w solar on my TC and tied the two systems via the same 4ga Anderson connectors and just last week installed a Micro-Air soft start.
Yesterday we had a record hot day for May, I hit 87 here. Ran the roof air all day, I ended the day with the batteries still @100% charge. The solar was putting in roughly 80amps charge even though the roof air drew 110amps@12v from the inverter. In between roof air cycles, the solar of course kept charging and kept the batts at 100% I ended up with both solar controllers in Float mode, 13.7v.

Attached a pic of my system design.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
42 REPLIES 42

SkullAndSquirre
Explorer
Explorer
I like it! Some day we will get there too.

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been a long journey, but I'm finally there.

So--the back-story, I have a 2-slide Eagle Cap 1160, when I got it 6mos used, the previous owner ordered it stripped - no AC, gen, not even tvs. I put a 13,5kbtu AC in because my previous Arctic Fox had a 11k and I had days where it didn't cut the mustard.
I put in (6) 145ah AGM batteries and a Magnum Technologies 3KW Hybrid Inverter, and a Honda 2000.
First attempts to run the roof air on the Honda were hit n miss, mostly miss, even using the hybrid function of the inverter.
Then I put 600w of solar on my trailer(The Shotwagon) with (6) of it's own 145ah batteries and ran 4ga to the hitch an Anderson disconnects to the TC.
That worked 'ok'. But at the end of a hot day, I killed about a half of my battery capacity, voltage would be down to 12.1-ish from 13.7 float.
Then I put 800w solar on my TC and tied the two systems via the same 4ga Anderson connectors and just last week installed a Micro-Air soft start.
Yesterday we had a record hot day for May, I hit 87 here. Ran the roof air all day, I ended the day with the batteries still @100% charge. The solar was putting in roughly 80amps charge even though the roof air drew 110amps@12v from the inverter. In between roof air cycles, the solar of course kept charging and kept the batts at 100% I ended up with both solar controllers in Float mode, 13.7v.

Congratulations on reaching the tipping point. That much power makes peace of mind for long term boondocking needs.
1996 F350 SRW CrewCab XLT 7.3L PS 2019 NL 10-2EXCD SE

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
work2much wrote:
So anyone over 65 that has a 401k invested in the market isn't really retired? What about someone that has CD's? Not retired either? Only those who have not saved and invested to make any income are the true retirees? Just owning a home an investment that you manage. Homeowners not retirees either?

I'll stick with Merriam-Webster:

Retired

"withdrawn from one's position or occupation : having concluded one's working or professional career"

And if you can live on 500 bucks a month, God Bless. We spend more than that on groceries.

As far as solely relying on social security, I think that's risky. What if it's not there one day? We planned our retirement without the expectation that SS will still be around or what the benefit may be. If there is a benefit for us in 12 years great, but we aren't banking on it.

Guess I'll never retire. I farm.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Genny, no problem with me. We camp on out own land in Northern Michigan. In fact, my genny is so quiet you cannot hear it inside the camper.

9 grand is way out of the park for solar. I can find more useless things to blow my money on.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you buy a high end Tesla (like an X crossover) charging is free for life. If I remember correctly, 40 minutes is more than enough for a full charge. My cousin has one.

I'll never own one nor will I own a self driving car.

One good thing about a Tesla in the winter, it has instant heat....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

Bedlam
Kayteg1 wrote:

Just passed newly build Tesla charging stations in Boulder City, NV.
Empty like desert around.
We might still need another generation till electric drives will start making more sense.
OH, BTW. Retired people should not pay taxes, so tax credit doesn't apply .

In my area Tesla SuperChargers have a 40 minute time limit due to use - I have no idea whether that is enough for a full charge. I also read they don't want to you top off the last 20% at these stations since that takes the longest...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
So anyone over 65 that has a 401k invested in the market isn't really retired? What about someone that has CD's? Not retired either? Only those who have not saved and invested to make any income are the true retirees? Just owning a home an investment that you manage. Homeowners not retirees either?

I'll stick with Merriam-Webster:

Retired

"withdrawn from one's position or occupation : having concluded one's working or professional career"

And if you can live on 500 bucks a month, God Bless. We spend more than that on groceries.

As far as solely relying on social security, I think that's risky. What if it's not there one day? We planned our retirement without the expectation that SS will still be around or what the benefit may be. If there is a benefit for us in 12 years great, but we aren't banking on it.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
work2much wrote:
Hopefully you don't have all your retirement strategy based on social security.

OT, but what's wrong with SS ?
When you buy Las Vegas house for cash, monthly living can be done for $500.
When you have pool, run coolers 20 hr a day and dine out, than you might need a 1000.
Obviously hard to budget $9k for batteries and solar. (or gambling) ๐Ÿ˜‰
When you have retirement money on stock market, than you are an investor, not retired.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I get the point that you MIGHT be able to run AC at night on inverter when campground policy calls for "no generators after 10 PM"
But knowing the life, would the trend become popular, the policy will change to
"no motor noise after 10 PM" and that will screw the idea.
I've weaken up by heater and water heater noise at campgrounds.
We might still need another generation till electric drives will start making more sense.

We've never run the AC at quiet time, but we have run things like a electric oven, instant pot, electric grill, water heater, space heater, electric blankets, ice maker.. BTW, running things like the water heater and space heater through the inverter is quiet. No noise to wake up or bother neighbors, especially tenters. We even replaced the noisy fridge fan.

Also I'm not sure where you get the idea that retired people don't pay taxes. Wish that was true but just because someone doesn't go to a 9-5 doesn't mean that they aren't earning income through their investments. Hopefully you don't have all your retirement strategy based on social security.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Coleman Mach 8 a/c on my camper makes enough noise I could use a Caterpillar gen set and not have the generator police after me.

I guess they must computer model and not actually start a real one over at Coleman.com

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get the point that you MIGHT be able to run AC at night on inverter when campground policy calls for "no generators after 10 PM"
But knowing the life, would the trend become popular, the policy will change to
"no motor noise after 10 PM" and that will screw the idea.
I've weaken up by heater and water heater noise at campgrounds.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can buy a lot of genny's and gas to run them for what you have in panels alone.
2015 Backpack SS1500

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Our system was about 9k. That included everything, panels, lithium battery cells, solar charger, inverter/charger, cables, gauges, specialty tools. Everything but the elbow grease.

Seems like a lot, but if you itemize your taxes there is a 30% credit, and we ordered our camper without the $4,100 Onan generator and the $400 dual 6v batteries, the net really isn't that much compared to buying the camper with a generator and golf cart batteries.

It is nice having a quiet, renewable source of power that runs the entire camper. Even after generator hours are over. ๐Ÿ˜‰

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
"if you have to ask >>> you can't afford it"

That's what I thought. Just one of those batts is like 6 or 7 hundred I think. To each there own I guess. I build hot rods and it aint a cheap hobby. Just sayin'