Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

REAR AIR BAGS FOR RAM 3500 DUALLY

johncamtravel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ram 3500 Dually and towing a 40Ft 5th wheel. The ride feels
very bad on rough roads. I was thinking about having Rear Air Bags installed. Do any of you have them and does it really improve the ride that much?? Do you think they are worth the cost?? The rear end really sags when the 5th wheel goes on it. The trailer weighs about 15,000Lbs. With Pin weight of about 35-3700Lbs. Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Firestone airbags with the on board air compressor. Works like a champ. The pin weight of my fiver is 4000 lbs...
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, they will help the ride immensely by getting the truck off the overload springs. We have a 2001 Dodge dually pulling our toyhauler very similar to your weight. Without any air in the Firestone air bags the ride is awfully harsh. I've found that about 50 psi will lift the truck and the ride smooths out and makes for a much better ride.

I also installed the Dexter EZ Flex suspension on the toyhauler and that helped the toyhauler ride smoother. Both are worth the money. IMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Chevy C4500 with a Link Air Ride suspension in the rear. The Link system uses large air bags with an automated load leveling system. My pin weight is about 3500lbs.

When I hit rough roads the ride does seem smoother than my old 3500 dually with overload springs. Not as pounding but more floating. However on big bumps I'm not sure if the air bags are any better. I seem to notice the big bumps now more than I did in my 3500.

Your best bet would be to try www.dieselplace.com forum for the dodge users group to see if anyone has added air bags.