cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear hitch for bike rack

hanks396
Explorer
Explorer
We're new to RV'ing and just bought our first TT, a Keystone Hideout 272LHS. After reading several posts about how you should never use a bumper hitch for bike racks, I looked into buying a frame mounted hitch. The only one I've found so far that is designed for this purpose is the Curt C13701. The problem is it is only good for frames up to 51" wide and mine measures 68.25". Does anyone know of a hitch that will work on a wider frame like mine? I'm hoping to get a bolt on so I don't have to pay for welding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
26 REPLIES 26

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
deleted.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

raceit17
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
You might be able to buy this slightly used rack that was mounted on a Rockwood trailer: ***Link Removed***

I'm surprised their scooter is still on the back.
2008 F350 Super Duty 6.4 (Tuned)
2014 Rockwood 8293RKBS
Rearview Safety Back Up Camera System
TST 507rv Tire Monitor System
Brewer Built Custom Bike/Scooter Rack

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You might be able to buy this slightly used rack that was mounted on a Rockwood trailer: Rack

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Just to complicate things even more - there are very, very few bike racks made that are rated for use on trailers (conventional or fifth wheel). Usually you have to download the manual of the make/model you are interested in, and read the disclaimers in the front. Most flatly say that they cannot be used. A few just note that any warranty is void. Swagman is the most referred to brand by fellow RV'ers, but again, only two of its models allow RV use.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

raceit17
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Rockwood 8293RKBS

raceit17
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Rockwood 8293RKBS

raceit17
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the bike rack I built.

I used (2) 1 1/4" Receiver tubes and some steel from the local steel yard. I added lights to it (with metal guards). I can remove the expanded metal from the floor to use it as a bike rack and take drop gate off. Or I can add the drop gate and put the expanded metal in the floor to use as a scooter rack.

2014 Rockwood 8293RKBS

hanks396
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
hanks396 wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions and ideas. I was able to find a different model from Curt Mfg. that will do the job. It's a little more than I was wanting to spend, but I'm learning that there's nothing cheap about RV'ing!

Is this the one you ended up getting for future reference?
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703

That's the one!

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
thats not a bad design, and to be honest, the price isnt really all that bad.

I have about 150 in materials in my hitch and frame extension but I also have about 12 hours of time invested... If I had to sell this hitch with installation Id have to ask for $1200.00

hitch and frame extension
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
hanks396 wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions and ideas. I was able to find a different model from Curt Mfg. that will do the job. It's a little more than I was wanting to spend, but I'm learning that there's nothing cheap about RV'ing!

Is this the one you ended up getting for future reference?
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I like the truck front mounted hitch. No bikes during this trip, but you get the idea.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
The problem with stuff off the back is not the weight, but the torque put on the thin-walled bumper tube.

I made a reinforcement to take the torque off the bumper. This is a couple pieces of thinwall (16 gauge) 2x2 square steel and some gussets, welded to the plate of a bumper receiver. (What looks like a square tube coming out the left is just a piece of scrap it's resting on for painting). I carry a Pelican cooler on a platform, which weighs more than a couple of bikes. It doesn't bounce around, the bumper doesn't flex, no problem.

The receiver part bolts on the top of the bumper, which gives the bikes/platform more clearance.

Any torque gets transferred to a frame crossmember.

I am in the middle of doing a similar thing...
and I am using angle iron..
but mine will also hold the spare tire under the trailer.

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the hitch on the back of the trailer. Slide in the bike rack. Added a camera and we have eyes on what is going on. Been doing this since 2004 with good results.