cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons for people to dump their TT

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
As we go out to buy a tt (we are not buying new), I want to avoid picking up someone else's lemon. What should we be looking for? My husband is pretty handy and can figure out how to fix most things, but I don't want something that has to be fixed all the time.

If you have any experience with lemons, let me know what you ran into.
32 REPLIES 32

ezmobee
Explorer
Explorer
2 of the 4 bunkhouses I looked at were being sold because the owner's children were grown and they weren't camping anymore and 1 was downsizing for the same reason. The 4th was an older couple who also had a big class A sitting on the property, the '02 TT interior looked like had never been used but the A/C was blowing hot and we found a big hunk of rot in an exterior compartment under the bunks. I have no idea what the heck was going on with those people.

The '04 one I bought was very well maintained be the POs. There was a small leak in the front right corner that had been promptly identified and properly repaired. I'm not real concerned about it.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
When I traded in my TT this summer for the new one, there was nothing major wrong with it at all. After 8 years, I knew I had to replace the tires and possibly a few other maintenance issues. But the TT had no issue with moisture, mold, frame damage, etc. All the appliances worked fine.

We just felt it was time to gain more interior space via a slide and extra length. With that we got many upgrades including automatic awning, electric water heater, folding couch, separate outside door for bathroom, lots of extra storage space, etc. Our trade in is going to be a great deal for the next owner.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

deweysmith5
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used trailer because we liked the layout. The previous owners had just retired and bought it to live Florida during the winter. They decided the bathroom was too small. We also have a friend who is selling his two year old trailer because he will no longer use it. I will say that a buyer must be aware of any serious issues like water damage.
2016 Cougar xlite 27rks
2015 Duramax Z71 Silverado
The Wife, The Lab, and sometimes a grandkid or two

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I guess I should have titled this as "dump and run". I know that some people buy them, never use them and then sell them; which is what we want. I just want to be able to spot a bad one.

Several years ago we purchased an old 78 Class A just to see if we would like RVing in general. We loved RVing, but we did not love having to do some kind of repairs on it every single time we wanted to take it out. We also notice that the newer models were much more efficient. 29 feet gets you a lot more room nowadays than it did in 1978. We don't want a Class A either.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot of people sell rv's that they don't use anymore or want a larger trailer.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
campgrammie wrote:
thanks jeremiah,

We actually just got home last week from TN. good ole Pigeon Forge!

Thats wonderful! Pigeon Forge is one of our favorite places. Its getting very commercialized but thats OK. About 3-6 weeks from now.. come back if you can! The colors will be in full regalia.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

campgrammie
Explorer
Explorer
thanks jeremiah,

We actually just got home last week from TN. good ole Pigeon Forge!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
campgrammie wrote:
I have a question for all. We gave our son our trailer 3years ago 27ft bunkhouse. Pristine inside but found out last weekend the under belly is a mess with rot. I am so mad because when we bought it new there was a small leak that they supposedly fixed. And we thought they did never saw anymore water. ?Well I guess it was just diverted to the wall and we never noticed. Question is what to do with a trailer that looks great but you know is falling apart underneath. He has not the time nor probably the money to put into trying to fix it. So with that said what would you do with a trailer like this? I feel really bad because we thought it was in great condition. My thought is donating it to charity like cars! Thoughts please

Sell it as is with full disclosure.. Someone will be more than happy to replace the floor and a wall for a few hundred $$ if they have the know how to do it.

Just disclose and even a rotted down bunkhouse is worth $2500-4500 depending on the year. Just be 100% honest... you will be surprised.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen them on EBAY, sold for various charities.

campgrammie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question for all. We gave our son our trailer 3years ago 27ft bunkhouse. Pristine inside but found out last weekend the under belly is a mess with rot. I am so mad because when we bought it new there was a small leak that they supposedly fixed. And we thought they did never saw anymore water. ?Well I guess it was just diverted to the wall and we never noticed. Question is what to do with a trailer that looks great but you know is falling apart underneath. He has not the time nor probably the money to put into trying to fix it. So with that said what would you do with a trailer like this? I feel really bad because we thought it was in great condition. My thought is donating it to charity like cars! Thoughts please

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
calewjohnson wrote:
Go Dogs wrote:
If they tell you they fixed a leak-skip it.

I also disagree. I had a leak in my front cap that the dealer could not fix. I pulled it apart myself, replaced all the particle board with actual wood and used laminate glue to reattach. Then used Eternabond on the seams, then put the molding back down. Is it perfect? No, but she doesn't leak one bit and the front has actual wood vice cheap particle board. Long story short, if fixed properly, there should be no problem.

Cale

Do you really believe a novice RV buyer can tell a good fix from a bad one? How many RVs have extensive water damage from a leak, before it got fixed?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
People dump travel trailers for many reasons.

However, the #1 reason that I have observed from many friends and acquaintances is that they simply did't use them enough to justify keeping them.

By the time your average TT owner realizes how relentlessly they NEED to pay attention to the maintenance its too late. When I talked about resealing my roof with a fellow camper owner they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Especially if they bought used.

Lack of use, lack of maintenance, + a lack of desire to RV anymore = trailer that just dumped AS - IS
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs wrote:
If they tell you they fixed a leak-skip it.

I also disagree. I had a leak in my front cap that the dealer could not fix. I pulled it apart myself, replaced all the particle board with actual wood and used laminate glue to reattach. Then used Eternabond on the seams, then put the molding back down. Is it perfect? No, but she doesn't leak one bit and the front has actual wood vice cheap particle board. Long story short, if fixed properly, there should be no problem.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I had bought a 1999 Coachman Trailer, very used from a dealer. We had it for a few years and even towed it to the east coast. I think we would still have it if my DW hadn't seen the insides of a 5 er. We even today talk about the good times we enjoyed in that TT.
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)