cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for Folding Hard Tonneau Cover

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that my GM accessory folding hard tonneau cover was not added to my order. I now have my 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab without a bed cover. Does anyone have a specific brand and model folding hard cover that they strongly recommend? Is there anyone that is using the GM folding hard cover? Just looking at recommendations before ordering the accessory cover from GM.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS
19 REPLIES 19

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I have an https://extang.com/solid-fold-2-0?gclid=CjwKCAiAsOmABhAwEiwAEBR0ZusJW5P3zNAeOGrbry4RXByxQC6gpB3XTdnZ... cover on my long bed 2014 RAM. I'm pretty happy with it overall. It does leak a little at the two seams, but it folds easily to 1/3 length when I use a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer. In the winter is can freeze to the tailgate, but a little prying with a scraper gets it loose.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
The reason that I had tried to order, it would also be discounted at the GM Employee price.

I appreciate the input on these. Just trying to buy the correct hard cover the first time. I have had roll-up and soft tri-fold. The tri-fold was not as convenient to use the full bed. I saw that some of the hard tri-fold would stay upright at window. And then I wondered if that interfered with the bed camera.

The cover looks nice and is flush with no seams. But it is black and in the hot summer sun you could burn your hands rolling it up with out gloves. It has no lock or key hole to get dirt in. You have to first open the tail gate then pull the cord to unlatch the cover. Sure a bad guy can pry it open just like most any other cover.
Take a look

Towards the end of the video they talk about the folding cover.

I am happy with my choice. If I had a 6.6 foot bed then I may have considered the tri-fold.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
I had a Roll n Lock years ago on a long bed truck. It was a pain in the winter time as it would ice up after washing it. I think the new Rill N Lock can be purchased with a vinyl cover that prevents freeze up or dirt and dust from getting between the aluminum slats. I’m considering installing one on my new truck.

Good point I forgot to mention the rolling covers are not good in freezing weather.
Imagine the angst when you discover your necessary item is inaccessible because the retractable cover is frozen shut!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a Roll n Lock years ago on a long bed truck. It was a pain in the winter time as it would ice up after washing it. I think the new Rill N Lock can be purchased with a vinyl cover that prevents freeze up or dirt and dust from getting between the aluminum slats. I’m considering installing one on my new truck.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The 4 section covers like the Bak Flip will fold and lay flat.
They do not block the window or the camera.
I also had a Retrax retractable cover. It was decent but the tube seemed to get in the way. the entire cover rolled up into a tube that was located in the bed below the cab window. For me the tube was always in the way and eventually was damaged.
I don't necessarily fault the product, but retractable units did not work out for me.
However I had the 4 panel Bak Flip a few years now on 2 different trucks.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
The reason that I had tried to order, it would also be discounted at the GM Employee price.

I appreciate the input on these. Just trying to buy the correct hard cover the first time. I have had roll-up and soft tri-fold. The tri-fold was not as convenient to use the full bed. I saw that some of the hard tri-fold would stay upright at window. And then I wondered if that interfered with the bed camera.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
miltvill wrote:
I have a BAK Revolver X4 Tonneau Cover. It is a hard cover that rolls up (on top). When rolled up it does not block my bed camera. I ordered and installed it my self. I have zero water leeks. I get a few tea spoons of water from the tail gate (tail gates are not sealed like car doors). It fits flush and allows me to use the bed rails. I have an 8 foot bed and a folding cover will get really heavy and tall when folded all of the way up. I can install a 40 gallon axillary fuel tank under it with no problem. It will hold 400 pounds evenly distributed. GM gets their folding cover from Bakflip. Their are a lot of factory install videos on most brands of covers.

Is there anything that you do not like with this? Now that I have looked at this style, I am thinking about the rolling hard cover.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I want to clarify my previous post about the BakFlip MX4 and getting water in the bed. It all comes from the tail gate which someone else mentioned isn't sealed like a door. No water comes in from the cover itself.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Lomax. I've had it two years and there has never been water in the back of my truck. It's between the rails so I can still use a kayak rack in the stake pockets with the cover in place and operational.

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a BAK Revolver X4 Tonneau Cover. It is a hard cover that rolls up (on top). When rolled up it does not block my bed camera. I ordered and installed it my self. I have zero water leeks. I get a few tea spoons of water from the tail gate (tail gates are not sealed like car doors). It fits flush and allows me to use the bed rails. I have an 8 foot bed and a folding cover will get really heavy and tall when folded all of the way up. I can install a 40 gallon axillary fuel tank under it with no problem. It will hold 400 pounds evenly distributed. GM gets their folding cover from Bakflip. Their are a lot of factory install videos on most brands of covers.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
when I was looking for a cover for our 2015.5 duramax the place that went to carried backflip and undercover flex. Looking at both and for what I wanted and their feedback I went with the undercover flex.

works well in the winter rain in oregon. Occasionally after a heavy rain or long drives in the rain there will be a slight amount of water in the bed, but nothing to worry about.

It has held up well now for 6 years, looks almost new.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned an Extang cover for six years and have been pleased with the purchase. It does drip some from the seams but the hardware has held up and it has been convenient to use. It has faded some but a couple of minutes with some 303 brings it back to like new. If doing it again I would buy one where the front section opens for easier access to the auxiliary tank. I had to install a hatch cover on mine for access to the filler nozzle.

I've had a Fold-A-Cover on my Silverado 2500 for 6 years. No complaints and it is "virtually dry" when raining. Folds out-of-the-way when towing my 5th, and the front section folds open to access items in front of the 5th-wheel hitch. Very well-made and durable.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Tonneau covers aren’t usually a factory order option, they are added by the dealer after. Can you not just get the dealer to order it or do you not want the “GM” one?

I have the bak-flip G2. I like that it sits inside the bed rails instead of on top and has 4 panels. Easy to fold up and works with my truck rack. It’s expensive and heavy but pretty solid. I can walk on it easy (210+lbs). Downsides, not waterproof, mine is actually waterlogged, and the rubber lip freezes to my tailgate in winter.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley