cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for Montana, Idaho, Washington

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip out to Vancouver Island. Any recommendation on "not to miss things to see and do" in Montana, Idaho and Washington? We are planning on hitting Glacier on the way back.
Thanks.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4
25 REPLIES 25

bricetribe
Explorer
Explorer
I'd hit the N. Cascades, then the San Juans, then the slow trek down the coast, looping back through the Columbia Gorge hitting the Snake River for a trip through Hells Canyon.

CSG
Explorer
Explorer
Let me correct your post above:

Idaho - All of it

Love,

CSG (who lives in the southern part of Idaho)
2001 GMC EC 2500HD, 4x4, 6.0 V8
2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse
2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LX470)

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
macdale4 wrote:
We are planning a trip out to Vancouver Island. Any recommendation on "not to miss things to see and do" in Montana, Idaho and Washington? We are planning on hitting Glacier on the way back.
Thanks.

Montana - All of it
Idaho - the northern half
Washington - All of it

๐Ÿ˜›
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Vancouver Island, go visit Butchart Gardens, especially at night, it is very nice, The Royal British Columbia Museum is pretty good also.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the Hwy 12 drive from Missoula to Lewiston. Also, Hwy 20 from Twisp to LaConnor (Be sure to stop in Winthrop). Jackson Hole, the Tetons and Yellowstone of course. Our top tourist destination in Seattle for out of town guests is... The Ballard Locks. A ferry ride is a must, either Edmonds to Kingston or Seattle to Bainbridge, or both, make a loop (Best Seattle RV Park is Lake Pleasant in Bothell).

It really depends on what you like to do... site see, fish, hunt, visit museums, wine tastings, etc. You have options, plenty of them. Probably too little time like the first post said.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the PNW!!! Use ferry systems to go /depart V Is. from WA. WA ST Ferry thru the San Juans (Anancortes/Sydney,BC) and Port Angeles/Victoria to cross the Straight. OR If going into BC mainland Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay crossing..not cheap...MAKE RESERVATIONS!!!!!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It depends on what kinds of roads you want to take, but I would do a loop through Yellowstone area of Montana then Glacier then Hwy 20 in WA. On the way back, I'd by Chinook Pass in WA then cut through Yakima to Boise and go through Utah into Colorado. If you want to go farther South, drive down the Oregon/WA coast, by Crater Lake in Oregon, and then through Utah/Colorado.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
L/C Valley, do a boat trip up Hell's Canyon.

retiredtoo
Explorer
Explorer
custer battle field in mt

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
There are more nat'l forest and BLM campgrounds in Idaho than you can shake a stick at. Some are great and others marginal. I like Craters of the Moon, but I'm a geology nut.
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:
Two Pedals wrote:
Drive through Sun Valley,Idaho, Stanley, Challis, Salmon, Idaho. North through Hamilton, MT and the Bitterroot valley to Missoula, then north to Glacier, National Park. The Lochsa River route (Highway 12) west of Missoula is also scenic. Visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Drive the high country route between Cooke City, MT east to Red Lodge, MT just NE of Yellowstone, NP. Lots of campgrounds or boondocking in these areas.

These are very good recommendations. Best compilation I've seen an awhile. Thumbs up here.

I will also second Stanley and the Lochsa River route.

Stanley Lake.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion you will ruin your travel experience if you go anywhere near the I-5 corridor and Seattle. The place is mobbed with rude drivers, overcrowded roadways. Best to stay off interstates but esp. Seattle area and I-5.

Pine5008
Explorer
Explorer
Palouse Falls. A bit out of the way off I-90, but the falls are worth the drive. And as already mentioned, Grand Coulee Dam, take the guided tour and see the laser light show at night.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/559/Palouse-Falls
Pine
2006 F350 SRW Crew Cab, 6.0
2014 Keystone Fuzion 390

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Reality Check wrote:
North Cascades might open early this year (Hwy 20)... the drive, views, campgrounds, incredible.

Avalanche crews plan to asses the situation on the 10th.
It's neat to keep an eye on this page, because the post weekly updates and lots of photos too.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades/
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator