cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations Needed

ljhl
Explorer
Explorer
A friend and I are talking about purchasing a used TT to use for a trip from TX to Alaska. Neither of us know much about TTs so I would like to ask, which TT model do you think is well built enough for making the trip to AK and back without getting shook apart on the poor roads? Thanks for any and all opinions!
2007 Dutch Star 4023
Subaru Forester Toad
A mutt named Arvee
10 REPLIES 10

Sifter
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
1) Arctic Fox TT

x2
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW Limited 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2014 Arctic Fox 25Y
SOLD: 2007 Fleetwood Terry Resort 240RKS

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend you learn as much about your trailer as possible before you head out. When I bought mine used it had no manuals with it. I went around the whole unit writing down as much as I could learn about each system including model numbers and made sure I had appropriate tools for every fastener on all the systems that may need service on the road. I would definitely bring a spare bearing set and be familiar with how to service it on the road
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

fatboy66
Explorer
Explorer
ljhl wrote:
A friend and I are talking about purchasing a used TT to use for a trip from TX to Alaska. Neither of us know much about TTs so I would like to ask, which TT model do you think is well built enough for making the trip to AK and back without getting shook apart on the poor roads? Thanks for any and all opinions!

Take along a good camera. This sounds like the kind of adventure you could sell the movie rights to.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nash would be another one to consider. They use their own in-house built, heavy duty, off-road frame which Nash also provides to Outdoors RV for all their TTs. Both brands are owned by the same company. The frames are in important thing to look at if you are concerned about rough roads. Most TTs have Lippert frames, and the ones on some of the ultra-lites are flimsy and flex a lot. Some TTs have a BAL Ultraframe which is a good alternative. IIRC, Jayco Whitehawk has them, but I know Lance does for sure.

I'm not sure if Nash or Outdoors RV TTs come standard with shock absorbers or are an option, but they might be something to consider and look for. We had them installed this year and they sure help a lot, especially on roads with a lot of twists & turns and ups & downs.

If you don't know much about TTs, whatever you buy, I highly recommend that you take it to a good independent RV repair/maintenance shop and get a thorough inspection done, preferably before you buy too. With all the issues that TTs are known for, that's a long trip you are planning and you sure don't want to have a bunch of things to fix en route, especially anything that could leave you stranded a long way from a repair shop or mobile tech. I'd also make sure you have a good WDH along with sway control and have it all set up properly and tested before leaving.

Above all, make sure that there have not been any leaks in the roof and that it has been regularly inspected and re-caulked if necessary. A roof that has leaked can be the kiss of death in a TT.

If you don't know the history of a TT and the mileage on it, you may want to buy a set of new tires even if they *look* okay. You may also want to upgrade to one load range higher like LRC to LRD or LRD to LRE. Since you are considering a long, long trip, you may also want to install a set of quality tires that have a good reputation like Maxxis or Carlisle. Also read up on taking care of ST tires - for ex., do not exceed the speed rating and keep them inflated to the max. pressure shown on the sidewall. A TPMS is a recommended item.

I'd look for a brand that has a good reputation for support and service from the dealer or factory. The dealer for our first TT (bought new) was a disaster for warranty work. Rather inept (3 visits to fix the bathroom door!) and verrry sloooow.

Good luck! 🙂 I'm jealous of your planned long trip though and wish it were me... 😞

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whichever trailer you buy, make sure the brakes, tires, and wheel bearings are in good traveling order.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

hehbr
Explorer
Explorer
We went there this summer from Florida in a Rockwood Windjammer. We had no problems that were the fault of the road conditions. Regardless of which trailer you buy, you must be aware of road conditions. The roads were generally good but some spots had road damage and frost heaves to watch out for. So take your time and enjoy the scenery. Have a great trip.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
We took the trip in 2003 in a SunnyBrook trailer (now Winnebago Towables). Nothing special, typical leaf spring suspension and no shocks. We handled it fine, had an extra spring as we heard some would break one. I still have the unused spare spring. 2 tire flats at different places (picked up a nail or screw). Both times the slow leaks were found at evening camp with a tire shop within a few hundred yards. We duct taped cardboard or pressed board to the lower half of the trailer front to protect from rocks thrown by tires. I also had a mesh in front of the radiator of the tow vehicle to eliminate rock effects there, too.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoors RV overbuilds all of their models for use on the rough back-roads, dirt and pavement, of the PNW. For example my 8K GVW 26BKS has over 10K lbs worth of axle, frame, suspension, and brakes... It does VERY well on some of the abusive roads I take it on.

I do recommend the Dexter EZ-Flex suspension mod to any leaf sprung TT you buy, unless it already has it.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco eagle

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
1) Arctic Fox TT
2) Lance TT
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!