cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended camper for 2500 truck

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering purchasing a camper for our truck. We have a 2500 Dodge Ram quad cab with 6 speed diesel short box.

Are there any campers that would fit on our truck since it is a short box and a 2500?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe
34 REPLIES 34

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
spacedoutbob wrote:
A friend of mine has a 2008 Lance 825 on his 2007 Dodge Quad Cab. His truck has the 6 speed also, he gets about 22 mpg pulling the camper. Check into that setup.

Bob in Calif.

That's incredible , 22mpg loaded . What the heck does he get empty ?

Instead of filling up he probably has to drain out some excess fuel after driving awhile without a camper!

:B
99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Recommendation for a camper on a 2 series short bed truck? That's easy: any of the campers designed for and recommended for a 1 series short bed truck.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
I like the 825 a lot. I would upgrade your tires if you don't already have high enough rated ones. Try Torklift stableloads to start. Go to a sway bar next if needed.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
OP/ Don & Carolyn: Did you get the PM I sent you?
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
You asked us to let you know how we liked the Lance 825. We looked at it at a local dealer. We loved it. A few other campers on the Buyers Guide list look great from their web sites.

Our major problem is that the door sticker on the truck says 2041 pounds, so we would definitely have to make some modifications to the truck, such as better springs, before we can consider a camper.
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how you liked that 825 . A Wolf Creek might work for you or maybe a North Star. Those are all really nice and reasonably light.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
bcbouy wrote:
how conservative of a weight rating as opposed to the actual safe load capability do you guys think the truck manufacturers recommend? 20% ? more? less? you know they leave themselves wiggle room.

They actually don't leave themselves any because the engineering factor is calculated into the rating on the tires.

Agree. Tire rating but more importantly wheel rating also.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
bcbouy wrote:
how conservative of a weight rating as opposed to the actual safe load capability do you guys think the truck manufacturers recommend? 20% ? more? less? you know they leave themselves wiggle room.

They actually don't leave themselves any because the engineering factor is calculated into the rating on the tires.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
NautiqueFamily wrote:
Look on the door sill of the driver's side....

There resides the capacity sticker. On it, you will see the payload capacity for your particular truck. There is some debate whether that is max or you can fudge it some with wheels, etc.....

The bottomline is stay in the range of what that sticker says - NOT the dealer at the truck place nor the camper place.... they are notoriously wrong with payload capacities and safety regarding overloading.

Start with the capacity on the door sill..........

Sorry but this is garbage. All the truck manufacturers calculate a payload figure based on how the truck is configured when it left the factory and based on the weakest link. The weakest link is always the tires which can be easily replaced, followed by the leaf springs which can be upgraded even more easily.

The manufacturers also subtract 160 lbs. per passenger seat from the payload. Look at the payload ratings for the same truck with a regular cab and one with a crew cab and you will find that the crew cab itself adds 200 lbs. of weight by the payload rating is reduced by far more, to compensate for the "passengers".

All 2500 trucks built today have rear axles and wheel bearings rated for over 9,000 lbs. and the rear of the truck is less than 3500 lbs. so the maximum load that can be carried (without swapping out axles) is 5500 lbs. and this may require going to new tires or adding Supersprings but this is not a big deal or even all the expensive.

I upgraded the factory springs on my 2500 truck with Supersprings for $450 and for another $500 I replaced the factory tires rated at 3195@80 PSI (or 6390 lbs. in total) with ones rated at 3750@80 PSI.

Stock truck and every seat in the cab filled with a passenger then go by the manufacturers' payload ratings. But there is no reason not to spend $1000 and gain 1000 lbs. or more in payload capacity.

Thousands of people have been doing this with their pickup trucks for at least half a century but there are still many individuals who remain ignorant and think that you cannot modify a vehicle after it has left the factory.

View my profile... Truck with mods. 1998 Lance 990 legend 11' 6" model dry weight of 3400 lbs. Wet 3900 to 4000 lbs. Over 9,000 trouble free smooth riding miles. Enough said.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
NautiqueFamily wrote:
Look on the door sill of the driver's side....

There resides the capacity sticker. On it, you will see the payload capacity for your particular truck. There is some debate whether that is max or you can fudge it some with wheels, etc.....

The bottomline is stay in the range of what that sticker says - NOT the dealer at the truck place nor the camper place.... they are notoriously wrong with payload capacities and safety regarding overloading.

Start with the capacity on the door sill..........

Sorry but this is garbage. All the truck manufacturers calculate a payload figure based on how the truck is configured when it left the factory and based on the weakest link. The weakest link is always the tires which can be easily replaced, followed by the leaf springs which can be upgraded even more easily.

The manufacturers also subtract 160 lbs. per passenger seat from the payload. Look at the payload ratings for the same truck with a regular cab and one with a crew cab and you will find that the crew cab itself adds 200 lbs. of weight by the payload rating is reduced by far more, to compensate for the "passengers".

All 2500 trucks built today have rear axles and wheel bearings rated for over 9,000 lbs. and the rear of the truck is less than 3500 lbs. so the maximum load that can be carried (without swapping out axles) is 5500 lbs. and this may require going to new tires or adding Supersprings but this is not a big deal or even all the expensive.

I upgraded the factory springs on my 2500 truck with Supersprings for $450 and for another $500 I replaced the factory tires rated at 3195@80 PSI (or 6390 lbs. in total) with ones rated at 3750@80 PSI.

Stock truck and every seat in the cab filled with a passenger then go by the manufacturers' payload ratings. But there is no reason not to spend $1000 and gain 1000 lbs. or more in payload capacity.

Thousands of people have been doing this with their pickup trucks for at least half a century but there are still many individuals who remain ignorant and think that you cannot modify a vehicle after it has left the factory.

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine has a 2008 Lance 825 on his 2007 Dodge Quad Cab. His truck has the 6 speed also, he gets about 22 mpg pulling the camper. Check into that setup.

Bob in Calif

That's incredible , 22mpg loaded . What the heck does he get empty

It's also compete BS. I've had the same truck for 10 years. Nothing will make it get that kind of mileage

Maybe downhill off a cliff
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
twodownzero wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
spacedoutbob wrote:

Bob in Calif.

It's also compete BS. I've had the same truck for 10 years. Nothing will make it get that kind of mileage.

maybe 22kmg?:)
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
spacedoutbob wrote:

Bob in Calif.

It's also compete BS. I've had the same truck for 10 years. Nothing will make it get that kind of mileage.