cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting 2013 Silverado TPMS after rotating tires

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
So, being very ambitious the other day, I rotated the tires on my 2013 Silverado 2500HD. Now, of course, the TPMS sensors have to be reset to accurately indicate which tire has what pressure.

In the manual, it says you have to use a "TPMS relearn tool" to do this. There is no way in heck I am going spend any money on something like that. :M I have heard that with previous years, you could "relearn" the sensors via the method of dropping air pressure in each tire in a certain sequence until the sensor "learned" which tire is at which position on the vehicle.

Long story short, can anyone tell me if I can still use this air pressure method on my 2013, instead of the "relearn tool" that Chevy wants me to buy?
:h

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

18 REPLIES 18

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I reset the TPMS on my 2011 Silverado by putting the truck in learn mode and then letting the air out of the tires one by one. It took 5-8 lbs. per tire for the sensor to activate the truck computer and for it to be set.

I buy the lifetime tire balancing and rotation for my vehicles and let the guys at the tire store reset the TPMS. Last time the tires were rotated the guy forgot (not unusual) to reset them and it was not worth driving 40 miles and burning $15 in diesel to go back.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Chevy is definitely not expecting you to buy their tool. They want you to bring it in to the dealer for this service...

That might be true, but for $38.95, they change the oil and filter and rotate the tires (reset the TPMS) on the wife's 2013 Traverse. They all take DEXOS oil now and I added it up and found I can barely buy the oil and filter for that amount and don't have to deal with the tire rotation. This post brings up some good posts though and I'm going to check my manual for the reset procedure. The dealer mentioned they use a "scanner" to reset.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
While my owners manual doesn't have the manual relearn procedure in it, I was able to use that method on my van tonight to relearn the sensors. From what I have researched it appears the change took place sometime during the 2011MY. So I don't know if this applies to every vehicle and if the 2012 and later are still programed that way, but just not published.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
In checking today, the manual online for my Express gives the old method of relearning with out the "tool". But my printed manual in my van does not include that information. Guess I will try it sometime to see if my van is still programmed to recognize that method.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
6x12 Enclosed Utility

ewylie
Explorer
Explorer
You are right - relearn tool is required from 2011 on for the Silverado's. I just read the start of the procedure and the not whole thing - they start the same, just change step 5, the balance of the procedure is the same. What I gather is there were issues with electrical noise. Think of tire repairs, someone resetting TMPS while a tire is being repair/replace in the adjacent stall. So you have to manually activate each sensor with a $60 tool.

Sorry for the confusion!

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
ewylie wrote:
In these pdf's, read the paragraph after "See your dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool" sentence. It talks first about the timing of the learning process then proceeds to list what you need to do to relearn the tire positions. It's there... just read a little bit more.

2010 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 6-78, 6-79

2011 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-68, 10-69

2012 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-67, 10-68

2013 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-61, 10-62

2014 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-61, 10-62

2015 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-67, 10-68
Oh, I did read a little more, and I understand about the official "relearn tool". I am trying to find out if the previous "air pressure release" method, which did not require a special tool, will still work . . . . or not. I normally rotate my own tires. I do not want to purchase a special tool to "relearn" the sensors. I also do not want the hassle of going back to the dealer so they can "relearn" the sensors.:R

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

ewylie
Explorer
Explorer
In these pdf's, read the paragraph after "See your dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool" sentence. It talks first about the timing of the learning process then proceeds to list what you need to do to relearn the tire positions. It's there... just read a little bit more.

2010 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 6-78, 6-79

2011 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-68, 10-69

2012 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-67, 10-68

2013 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-61, 10-62

2014 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-61, 10-62

2015 Silverado Owners Manual see pg 10-67, 10-68

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Rotated the tires on my 2013.Took it to the dealer and the write up guy reset them in about 30 seconds. No charge
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
the air pressure method shouldn't work for a 13. either buy the tool or have a tire place relearn it.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
The air pressure method is not in the 2013 or the 2012 manuals that I downloaded from Chevy as PDF files. Neither is it in the paper manual that came with my 2013. I finally found reference to it in the downloaded 2010 manual.

I don't know why they stopped referring to it, but I guess I am going to give it a shot as soon as the weather cools off a bit. I'm not big on performing maintenance when it's over 95* outside!
😛

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Ahh beat me to it, yes the procedure is in the owners book. I did mine a few weeks back and it work perfectly.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

ewylie
Explorer
Explorer
** after writing this up and before posting it, I searched for the 2013 owner's manual for 2500HD - in the paragraph following "about seeing the dealer or purchase the relearn tool" it has the procedure to relearn without using the dealer or the tool. Read a bit further down the third column of pg 10-61, and on to the next page. Now what they have online may be different than what was printed during that production run and placed in glovebox **

I have a 2010 Siverado 1500, and the learning process is fairly quick and easy. I have the base LT version with no special buttons for information. With the other models, to get to the learning/activation of relearn will be different, but the process of going around the truck is the same.

My process is as follows:
- set parking brake
- turn ignition to on
- tap odometer reset until is states it is in the tire position relearn mode, then hold reset stem in to activate (horn chirps)
- start at left (driver's) front and release a little air (hold stem in for about 15 second) from tire until horn chirps
- then go the right (passenger) front, release a little air from tire until horn chirps)
- then right rear (one chirp), left rear (horn chirps twice to confirm end of learning)
- turn ignition off
- check pressure in tires to make sure they are still at the desired pressure

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that sometime during or just before the 2011MY GM went from their being a documented process for the owner to the "relearn tool." Some 2011 owners manual give the manual method, others state the relearn tool. If you do a Google search you should be able to find the method that has the owner put the vehicle in the relearn mode (ignition on, press and hold both lock and unlock?). You then adjust the pressure starting at the front left, working your way around the vehicle in a clock wise manner. When the horn honks, you move to the next tire.

I don't know if this works with say a 2012 or 2013. I recently rotated my tires and haven't gotten a chance to try to do it myself yet to see if it was still programed in my 2011. When I was getting the oil changed on my Cruze the dealer acted if I brought the van in they would relearn them for free.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
6x12 Enclosed Utility

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't use the old method you should be able to take it to most any tire store and ask them to reset it for you. Discount Tire resets mine when it goes in for balancing and rotation.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes