cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Riverside White Water Campers

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for a camper for a while now.

While the new AF and Lance units are nice, they sure as hell aren't $30k nice IMHO. They're also heavy as hell, and while my diesel dually can carry pretty much anything, I think like a backpacker and travel light. All we really need are a bed, a bathroom, a couple of burners, and a fridge. AC is a bonus out here in the NV desert, and I can mount a small gas genset to the truck or the trailer we pull for the toys.

Used units seem to be scarce, and people are incredibly proud of units they haven't taken care of. Not paying $10k for a 15 year old camper that only sold for $15k new. The condition of the units also speaks volumes about the build quality - even the brands that are selling for $30k today the campers look to be ready for the scrap heap after 15-20 years.

So I've found a "value" option - Riverside White Water campers. Brand new, the 865 looks to be around $12-13k with everything I need. Nice and light, which gets me better mileage through the mountains and leaves me more room to tow bigger and heavier toys. Plus for $12-13k, I'm not expecting perfection like I would if I dropped $30k.

Has anybody heard of these? Any links or dealers out there? Information from a google search is surprisingly sparse.
17 REPLIES 17

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the tips and advice. You've given me more options than I could have hoped for. Looks like there are some bulletproof simple campers out there, but they are definitely not in the mainstream.

Capri Campers look like a good value, but a little on the small side for me and DW. She's just 5'0", but I'm 6'4" and 265lbs.

Travel Lite looks like a good option. Has more of a presence than the Riverside Whitewater campers, and holy **** - there's a dealer 1.5 hours away! I'm gonna call and see if they carry the TC line.

Avions are awesome - love the classic look and I might be willing to take one on as a restoration project - looks like the Airstream of the TC world. Would be way cool to have the retro look outside with modern amenities and gadgets.

Livin Lites seem like the modern equivalent of the Avion. I'm trying to find a Camplite 8.6 to go look at - for $16-18k they seem like a good deal since they don't rot and don't rust.

I've started expanding the search and there's some good used ones out there, but they seem be at least a few hours away, and they go quick. Las Vegas exists in a TC vacuumn for some reason.

Thanks to everyone here for the help and tips - keep em coming, and I'll keep you posted as the search progresses.

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
A while back there were a few Avions around southern California. They are light and simple and basic. They are also cheap and durable as can be. I don't know if its still there but there was one near Phoenix on Craigslist. You can find them for 1500 to 3000 dollars. I couldn't be happier with mine.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Hoag,
Last week I checked craigslist Sacramento and Reno/Tahoe and saw several pretty good looking lightweight, hard side campers for sale. Beyond that, TC's for sale are all over the place here. If you are in No. Nevada this could be a good place to start looking. Remember, it's usually worth it to widen your search area to about 500 miles + to get enough prospects to weigh.
And, just remember your attitude is all on this list. You are facing a LOT of people who know truck campers, inside and out. I don't claim to be one of these, but only my observation. They will offer to help directly related to your attitude, beer not withstanding.
So, widen your search area; hope to get lucky. My bro John has a saying, "just worry through it." Good advice.
Oh, and just for the record, my 16 yr. old Lance Lite is probably in better shape than when I bought it for $6500, 13 yrs. ago, at least on the inside. Maintenance is the key. However, since i take it off-road, thru the trees, and over hill and dale, you are half right, as it has been whacked repeatedly with the ugly stick. Time rolls on; we have camped hundreds of night in it, and it's still there, ready to camp on.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, UT!

I'm certainly no paragon of politically correct speech myself.

You bring up a really interesting point.

I just paid Lord knows how much for this fancy fabric and such in my new Lance.

I not only don't need it, I hate it.

I'd pay extra for olive drab cordura.

A really well-built Spartan camper would get my attention.

I just bought a new Lance off the lot, with a microwave oven, a 12v TV, DVD player, powered antenna, huge awning, an outdoor shower, and who knows what else for which I have no use whatsoever.

I wonder if there is a market for a really well-built camper without all the extraneous crap?

Carry on, brother. Sorry I called you out.

Beer talking.

Oh, and welcome!

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

JacintoKid
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Are you aware of Capri campers? Pretty affordable, lightweight, no frills.

For something that might not fall apart very quickly and will never rot, look at Livin' Lite aluminum campers.

You beat me to it. Their largest camper (the Capri Rodeo model) can be had for about 10K new. I've heard nothing but good things about them. In fact, if you drive down to TX/OK, there are usually used ones available for around 5K. I see them all the time on Craigslist. They are not fancy but funtional.
2014 Toyota tacoma 4WD
2014 FourWheel Camper Fleet model
OME full suspension swap

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Livin Lite campers. Rot proof , light, simple.
Remember, you get what you pay for.

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
I was in a White River TC at an RV show. It was the very first TC I was ever in!

It's pretty basic (a plus for me), and at the lower end on price (another plus), but it just didn't ring my bell for some reason. There was a slight feeling of 'cheapness' to it - not bad, just like it was built from all 'builder grade' stuff from Home Depot. Again, not that there's anything wrong with that.

We wound up a new http://www.travellitecampers.com/Travel Lite. They are at the same end of the scale as White River in terms of cost and amenities, but it seemed a bit nicer/ better build quality.
2013 Travel Lite 960RX
2001 Ford F350 Diesel Super Cab Long Bed

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Are you aware of Capri campers? Pretty affordable, lightweight, no frills.

For something that might not fall apart very quickly and will never rot, look at Livin' Lite aluminum campers.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
You get what you pay for, I just got a used Lance in perfect condition, slide, solar, gen set, dry bath for less than a new stripped down WW, keep looking for a used Lance makes a Lance lite, that may suit you
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Tugboat_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I took delivery of a Waterfall 865 in May of 2013(used to White Water) after ordering it in February. I had to wait for them to get at least three orders to make a production run. They are an Amish owned company about 80 miles from where I live. They are specializing in lightweight travel trailers for todays smaller cars and SUVs.
I use it for going to antique tractor shows, pulling a trailer with a tractor on it. It fits my purpose very well. Some of the shows have very few facilities so I wanted a bathroom in an 8.5' camper.
Like the OP said, their website now does not mention truck campers, so mine may have been one of the last ones.
I bought it at Garrett Camper Sales in Garrett, IN. They also sell Travelite campers which is another very well built camper made in New Paris, IN. The Travelite is in the general price range that you are talking about.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Very basic camper, almost retro looking. 13K for a bare bones model with no history and looks like no dealer support,you might be better off buying something a couple of years old from a manufacturer that has a track record and a dealer network. Lots of campers out there in the 8 > 13 range from dealers that are near you in the USA.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
username taken wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
They don't even mention TCs on their website.........LINK

NADA shows 3 models (800, 850, 865) but only for 2011, 2012, 2014

This is only place I could find with floorplans/info on current models....LINK

Thnaks for the leads. I've sent an e-mail requesting information to the mfg.

I'll let you know what I find out - I can't be the only one out there that has interest in an opening price point no frills camper.

Amish built. Looks like a good fit for a lightweight simple TC.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
They don't even mention TCs on their website.........LINK

NADA shows 3 models (800, 850, 865) but only for 2011, 2012, 2014

This is only place I could find with floorplans/info on current models....LINK

Thnaks for the leads. I've sent an e-mail requesting information to the mfg.

I'll let you know what I find out - I can't be the only one out there that has interest in an opening price point no frills camper.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if that's how I came across - not what I meant to convey at all. If your camper is perfect for you, that's awesome. I'm just looking for some advice to help me find the camper that's right for me.

I'll be the first one to admit that I've gotten very frustrated after 8 months of looking for a TC, and I'm sure my frustration is coming across - especially since I just came from a local RV dealer who was clearly more interested in making a sale than helping me find the right camper. Water leaks, rot, sagging jacks, and delamination are the norm - even after just a couple of years - and it certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

For my needs and budget, the new units I've looked at are bigger, heavier, and more expensive than what I'm looking for. It seems like the simple, lightweight, value side of the market is underserved - but I'm sure that's a function of market demand.

Here to learn as well. Robert