cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rockies 2016 in a TC

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just got back from our Rockies Trip in our TC which was from May 30 to June 7. We traveled a lot of miles both in and out of National Parks. Funny enough, we brought too much clothes, and too much food! I guess thatโ€™s good. ๐Ÿ˜‰ As usual, the stops along the way were a breeze with the relatively short length of our TC/truck combination. We saw a lot of normal wildlife even though Iโ€™m not posting the pics here. We were about 3 weeks early compared to last year which meant cooler temperatures and less people which was great!

Overall, a great trip and even got to meet bka0721 on his job as a Ranger. It was great to meet him and have a short visit. Unfortunately, he had to educate a couple of people about not having dogs on trails while we walked. Public service announcement โ€ฆ if you bring your dogs to a National Park, be sure to read up on the regulations regarding pets in the parks you visit.

Our plan to start was to go two days there, and two days back which is what we did. I was happy that I planned out or first night stop in Fairmont near Anaconda MT. Dry camping was an option and was all we needed. A fellow TCโ€™er was here as well in the dry camp area. Unfortunately, I didnโ€™t get to speak with him or his family, but did capture him in the photo below.

The next day, we drove to the West Gate of Yellowstone, and took a few Elk pictures. It was a relatively uneventful trip to Bridge Bay where we camped each night. We used 2 levels of blocks in driver rear, 4 levels of blocks in the driver front, and 3 levels of blocks in the passenger front. On the plus side, we were able to use the same setup each of the 5 nights. The campground was nicer than the pictures shows, and we had a good view of the woods just off to the slide side of the TC. We were visited by a squirrel on our ladder one morning, and got to see a Blue Grouse, and a Mule Deer in the campground.

My Brittany enjoyed the walks through the campground each AM and PM. The bathrooms were great and nice and warm. A bear visited the campground the night before we were there, and there were several elk and deer in the area. Here she is relaxed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We got to visit all gates this trip and even Cody outside the East Gate. The Buffalo Bill State Park lake was beautiful. I did replace my batteries while at the North gate. The charge was enough to make it through the night, but the NAPA just outside the gate had a very good price, so I replaced them. It was good to take wiring picture, so I did which made the change out go faster.

The Elk near the North Gate are calm and like to pose for pictures, and some would say they have moved in.

The Tetons were great as well. Our TC rig made stopping at the overlooks very easy. Hereโ€™s a few sample pics including a picture from Colton Bay.

Here are a few of the places we stopped to give you an idea of what itโ€™s like parking in the areas.

Driving out of the campground the last day we got a sendoff from an Elk.

We drove out of South gate and stopped back by the Tetons for the great views and out by Jackson, WY. The drive over the mountain was intense at 10%. I was glad to have good brakes and canโ€™t imagine that drive with a long fiver. Hereโ€™s a pic from the mountain looking back at Jackson below.

We stopped at a few rest areas including one with a great view of the Snake River ... technically a lake at this spot.

Our final night, we fired up the Coleman Mach 8 Cub since it was near 100 when we stopped for the night. We left early and were on our way back. Here's a sunrise pic.

If you get a chance, stop by the Rockies. The views are awesome. If you made it this far, I hope you enjoy this picture of Yellowstone lake at sunset one night!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
15 REPLIES 15

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your trip.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed