cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rockwood ROO 233 Warning

johnc_ramsey
Explorer
Explorer
In 2009 I purchased a new Forest River ROO 233 from Arbogast in Troy, OH. The front bed unit had just been upgraded and was new. In 2012 I replaced the same front bed unit because of water damage. Now I have discovered the other two beds have the same type of damage. The unit was kept covered through the winter months and last fall I built a shelter. The camper has been well kept and maintained. My estimated damage is 4000 dollars. Please warn you friends off of hybrids- I understand that some of you are saying "I could have told you so". I could find no other Form that seemed legit to sound off on, so TY
29 REPLIES 29

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
People always join to gripe aabout xyz manufacturer for some odd reason. 1 or 2 posts and they never return.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

glsimms
Explorer
Explorer
dwright1969 wrote:
It's interesting that people are joining the forum just to gripe about Roos. :h

It is interesting.

I always thought they griped about Jayco.....

Community Alumni
Not applicable
It's interesting that people are joining the forum just to gripe about Roos. :h

SwampMaster
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new Rockwood Roo 23SS in 2009. We also purchased a bumper to bumper 7year warranty with it. We did this the RV Direct. We had an issue within the first three weeks. We had water leaking at all of the seams on the canvas on both ends. The Rockwood dealer in Appleton wouldn't even look at it. We took it to Brickner RV in Antigo. They processed our claim along with a stereo that you could not shut the alarm off on things were resolved quickly with new pieces. In 2011 we brought the camper back to Brickner because we noticed that both bunks were showing signs of delamination. Brickner said they contacted Rockwood and our warranty carrier about the issue and both stated that it was water damage and that they were not responsible due to water damage, even when they were told that the canvas had leaked when new. I have contacted Brickner again after resealing all of the joints around the bed and the lights and seeing the delamination continue to worsen. I even asked about these supposed seal kits that have been mentioned in other forums. They stated that the company nor them have any idea what we were talking about.
I see where some people have actually received new bunk ends from Rockwood or that you can buy new ones. Can someone tell me how to go about filing a claim with Rockwood or at the very least where to buy the new ends. I am a mechanic by trade and I could easily replace them myself if I knew where to get them We only have these two dealers within a days drive of where we live. By the way I have resealed the roof 3x in 5 years with quality sealant since I figure it's cheap insurance. I don't shortcut when it comes to maintenance.
Hopefully this doesn't sound like a rant or a complaint. I'm just relating to the poster's problem and trying to find a solution. AND YES I would buy another Roo. I love how it pulls and the amount of space it provides.
Swamp

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a Hybrid for 6 years and loved it, I had one leak in that time and it was around the clearance lights NOT in the bunk ends. We camped in some very torrential down pours in those 6 years. The only reason we upgraded to a travel trailer this year was to ease the set up time a little. The DW says were not getting any younger :h As in any trailer a little preventative maintenance goes miles!

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
It appears, to me, that there had to be an over site in the maintenance procedures in order for you to develop these types of problems. I would think that if all the caulking joints and roof material was inspected and repaired that your situation would not have occurred.
I have a 2005 ROO and have it inspected and caulk removed and replaced as and where needed. Still looks new. I would think that no matter the make the theory still applies.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I bought my hybrid last year and have used it in some very heavy downpours without a single leak. The only water issue I have had was condensation on the inside when it was really cold outside and there are ways to deal with that. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a lighter weight option for a trailer. My next TT will most likely not be a hybrid but that has to do with floor plans and not dissatisfaction with the hybrid.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
johnc.ramsey wrote:
Thanks Choo Choo Man. But it is not one bed it is all three. Rules for joining said I could complain but not often, so this is a comment not a complaint. So, you are a dealer aren't you. Nice try. Stay away from hybrids folks.
Dude, first of all, I am not a dealer. The name says it all. I am a class 1 railroad engineer. 2nd, joining a forum just to post a rant, to me, is wrong. Maybe if you came on and asked about bunk issues on hybrids or forest river products saying that you're experiencing an isses, that is another thing.

I bought mine used, and noticed the water damage after I bought it (learning what to look for after my purchase). Maybe the previous owner didn't do proper maintenance. Maybe you didn't do proper maintenance and that is why all yours are messed up when others say they have no issues.

And, saying that we are 98% sure we are not getting a hybrid next is for personal preference with floorplans. But, if we do get a hybrid, it will be a Roo 233S.

Now,that being said, I hope your issues are fixed and you spend some nice time camping. Happy camping and be safe. Safety is a way of life.
2015 Rockwood Roo 183

Jetta03
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2009 21ss, no problems with seals or bed ends yet, although It does have some slight delamination at the bottom of the front bunk door. Couple years ago I caulked around the metal framing on the front door/fibreglass and it stopped the delam. First thing I would do on a new hybrid is caulk around the doors.

On another note, you can buy the door insert as a unit from forest river. Should be an easy fix if you are even a bit handy.

johnc_ramsey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Choo Choo Man. But it is not one bed it is all three. Rules for joining said I could complain but not often, so this is a comment not a complaint. So, you are a dealer aren't you. Nice try. Stay away from hybrids folks.

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about your issues... We're happy with our hybrid, and will be upgrading to another one when we outgrow this one. There's a bad one in every batch, unfortunately...
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

bbq-breath
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad someone else sees my issues with hybrids. Great idea...poorly executed!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
well, i have a 2007 Roo 23SS and have NEVER had leak issues.
sorry you did with yours but there are lots of Roo and Shamrock owners that haven't had the issues you did.

by the way, i belong to 6 different Hybrid forums, so there are a lot of places you can rant at, if you feel the need to.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry about your troubles with the Roo. There is a Forest River owners forum online - you may want to check into it. I've seen a few at least mild rants on it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with the repairs, or whatever else your plans are for it.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

Nice of you to join to just rant. I, myself, have a Roo front bunk being shipped for my camper. But, you don't see me ranting and raving. It is an issue, and hopefully it will be taken care of. Having a big hole in the side of a camper, especially the front, isn't the easiest thing in the world to keep water tight.

Hope you try and enjoy camping.
And yes, my next camper will be a 98% chance of bot being a hybrid. But, I am not going to be trading in for several years.
2015 Rockwood Roo 183