cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof antenna and internet share one indoor coax hookup

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
It seems I have to choose at any given time between watching OTA TV from my roof antenna or having internet due to both running to a single inside coax connector with a toggle in the entertainment console in my 2017 Coleman Lantern TT. I live in this thing full time and have hooked the coax from the park pedestal to my external coax connector. That single indoor coax connector has a toggle button that when it selects the antenna kills the internet connection. This is so stupid I'm hoping it's me missing something...
9 REPLIES 9

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You might be able to fish a coax cable through the shore power mouse hole or shore power cable access door and install an inside wall jack.

My first TT didn't have any coax connections or cable. It had a small outside door for the shore power cord. I reached through with a drill driver and drilled a hole through an inside wall in the compartment and pushed the end of a piece of RG6 cable through the hole. I added water proof end connectors. I have a spool of RG6 and make my own cables.

I left enough cable with a coupling on the end coiled inside the compartment that I could pull out to connect to a longer cable to hook up my sat dish.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I never even imagined trying to get internet through the coax cable in an RV. I think if I was in your shoes, I'd add an additional cable port like others have mentioned. Super easy to do. The entire job should take less than 20 minutes, and cost less than $20. Many RVs have other ways to route a wire in without poking holes in the skin. Does your 30 amp cable feed into the trailer? If so, that's an easy way to get another cable inside.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

bakedalaskan1
Explorer
Explorer
You can use a through the window/under door coax connector. Works fine for TV and satellite.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
bamaboy wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I was hoping somebody would tell me that I missed some solution other than drilling holes or taking stuff apart, but I suspected as much. Guess the factory couldnt spent 50 more cents to give the internet cable its own hookup inside. Definitely appreciate the advice about dicor and the splitter.

I don’t think it was cost as it cost more to put in a switch. Most users have a TV and pick either cable or antenna for the source.

Finding the ends of the cables inside the RV and then adding on to them sounds like the easiest plan.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Got an input for satellite? If so, I’ve heard of people using that.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I was hoping somebody would tell me that I missed some solution other than drilling holes or taking stuff apart, but I suspected as much. Guess the factory couldnt spent 50 more cents to give the internet cable its own hookup inside. Definitely appreciate the advice about dicor and the splitter.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
your tv antenna should have nothing to do with any internet connection you did not tell us what kind of internet your using are you using a cable modem on the park cable? then you would need to pull the tv antenna power switch plate from the wall and find the cable from the exterior cable connection disconnect it and connect it to a proper Cable Modem splitter like this Cable Modem & MOCA Premium Coaxial 2-way Splitter
then a cable from one of the splitter outputs goes back to where you removed the external cable from and one goes directly to the cable modem.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
That IS the way they are designed. You can add another coax from the outside, or learn to live with it.

Adding another coax from outside is not hard. Drill a hole in the skin, and put surface mount coax connectors on both inside and outside of wall. Be sure that you seal the hole with non-silicone caulk. I like Dicor.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
There is not much preventing you from adding additional coax connectors. I have two one using an N connector for a cell antenna.