cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof de-lamination

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BRAND new Eagle Cap 1160. I've had a few small issues(speaker, thermofuse in refrig, poor trim adhesion, seams showing in ceiling material) of which some is to be expected(I guess). But today I took a peek on the roof and found the down the whole drivers side of the roof there are bubbles of the roof pulling up. Its kinda tough to see in the pics but in the month and a half I have looked up there 4? times and this was not there, its immediately apparent.

This is my 3'd camper NEITHER of the last two had this happen(ever) and I had the last one for 7 years.

How upset y'all would be to find this and what my demands for action should be? Quality control is NOT what it should be at Eagle Cap by any stretch of the imagination!

'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy
15 REPLIES 15

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
In all fairness, my Class C had a few not-adhered wrinkles along the sides; and after 10 years and 50,000 miles, nothing ever changed. They didn't loosen/expand/leak.

Thanks. That is exactly the reason I started this thread to find out how big a problem this really is and how much of a deal I should make out of it.
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In all fairness, my Class C had a few not-adhered wrinkles along the sides; and after 10 years and 50,000 miles, nothing ever changed. They didn't loosen/expand/leak.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is our 2nd AMLRV camper. Both have been trouble free. While we have not had any issues that required warranty repair,when I have called with questions/concerns they have been very responsive. Even sent some free hardware when I was doing some mods to our previous camper.

Having said that, I don't want to minimize the OP's concerns. Any brand can have issues. Start with BP...he knows his business and has been professional/courteous to us.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
EC quality took a dive when Adventurer took over the company about 4 years ago. Customer service is also substandard. They are only concerned about production and not customer satisfaction. I love my EC built before Adventurer took over, however, I wouldn't buy from the present company..
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
trailgranny50 wrote:
D As an aside, any tiny pin hole can cause that stuff to start lifting away going down the road. As new as yours is that shouldn't be happening.

That my worry. Also the void seems like it opens an opportunity to draw in moisture and form a pocket of condensation. No matter how little that seems like too much.
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
The elastomer roofs will expand as the temps warm up. Perhaps this was the first time you checked it in warm weather?

Having said that, I have noticed only a small of expansion on our roof in warm weather.
Hard to tell how much expansion you have fom the pics.

Keep in mind TPO is different from "rubber" roof.

EC have 3 yr structural warranty and IIRC 12 years on roof. Sure won't hurt to bring it by BP's place next time your up there so he can look at it...

Edit; on second look at your pics...I don't see anything unusual for a TPO roof.

Interesting, thanks.

Yeah BP will be on the list Fri when he opens. Getting tired of the trips back up there for these things though, kinda missing my Lance! BP has done right by me but I think I got a 'friday afternoon camper". My bathroom wall will never be straight(which makes the door not close perfect). BP offered to make it right but I dont want him tearing apart the whole wall to 'try' to fix it.
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
The elastomer roofs will expand as the temps warm up. Perhaps this was the first time you checked it in warm weather?

Having said that, I have noticed only a small of expansion on our roof in warm weather.
Hard to tell how much expansion you have fom the pics.

Keep in mind TPO is different from "rubber" roof.

EC have 3 yr structural warranty and IIRC 12 years on roof. Sure won't hurt to bring it by BP's place next time your up there so he can look at it...

Edit; on second look at your pics...I don't see anything unusual for a TPO roof.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Does look lie an improper roof install. Maybe temps in factory weren't warm enough for adhesive or just..... Anyway it SURE shouldn't be that way. As an aside, any tiny pin hole can cause that stuff to start lifting away going down the road. As new as yours is that shouldn't be happening. Your dealer and the factory should make it right with a whole new roof, not just restick the bad spots. I wouldn't accept a patch job cause there'll surely be future issues and probably after warranty expires. Good luck and hope all turns out well.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
They glue that rubber roofing on, atleast they are suppose to. Probably no glue or lack of glue caused that. If they are glued down properly they stay down.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
I don't even think that stuff is glued down at the factory - they just stretch it over the roof.

I've seen numerous 5th wheels going down the road with a HUGE bubble in the front.

I sure my Lance was. I saw it when I removed a vent while installing my solar.
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I'm not sure that is delamination. It looks like the rubber/tpo roof isn't fully adhered though.

Sorry for the semantic issue. I termed it delam, either way its pulling up.
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
iwon415 wrote:
I assume its under warranty, and I assume you have contacted your dealer first...? Given them an oppurtunity to stand behind their product, which I can assure you, they have done in the past.

You assume incorrectly actually. I found it this afternoon, My dealer was closed. I thought I might come here to gain some knowledge before possibly having the dealer take advantage of my lack of experience with this issue.
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't even think that stuff is glued down at the factory - they just stretch it over the roof.

I've seen numerous 5th wheels going down the road with a HUGE bubble in the front.
Bob

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure that is delamination. It looks like the rubber/tpo roof isn't fully adhered though.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member