Rookie Diesel Owner

JaycoAngel
Explorer
Explorer
Posting this for my hubby:
I recently bought a 2014 GMC Duramax Diesel. Previously pulled
With a big block Chevy. Not sure what gear to use when pulling:
Drive or Manual and I am not sure about the tow button (I am assuming
I use the tow button (I am assuming whenever I am towing).

Would appreciate any advice.
23 REPLIES 23

JaycoAngel
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 14,000 lb 5r......would read the owners manual if we had one. Dealer has ordered one for us as it came without.

Thanks all for your advice. Appreciate it.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't say what you're towing, if a light weight TT or Pop-up, you really don't need to use the Tow/Haul mode unless the tranny starts hunting for the right gear. The Owner's manual gives some numbers as to weight of tow to weight of truck when it's recommended to use T/H mode.
I pull heavy so I'm always in T/H with the Exhaust Brake engaged.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
JaycoAngel wrote:

My advice is to read the owner's manual. Your questions will be answered there.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
JaycoAngel wrote:

My advice is to red the owner's manual. Your questions will be answered there.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
JaycoAngel wrote:
Posting this for my hubby:
I recently bought a 2014 GMC Duramax Diesel. Previously pulled
With a big block Chevy. Not sure what gear to use when pulling:
Drive or Manual and I am not sure about the tow button (I am assuming
I use the tow button (I am assuming whenever I am towing).

I will tell you how I tow with our 05 5 sp Alison. Tow mode is the best thing to use when towing. At times driving solo it can be used if you want to. I have. On our 5 speed I will hit the end of the shift handle to kick out over drive. This way it doesn't shift up but can go to 3rd if needed. Our truck seems to not shift down fast as I would like so this is how I run when we tow the 35 ft alpenlite. Trannie runs cooler in tow mode. Works great going down mountains.

Great truck for us.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMC owners' booklet does a good job of explaining these issues. How was it unclear?

Duramax....https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2015/gmc/sierra_1500/2015-Silverado%20HD%20&%20Sierra%20HD-Duramax-Diesel-Manual.pdf
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Use the towhaul button when towing or any other time if you wish.
Truck will pick the right gear, but if you don't like how it's hunting gears, drop 1or 2 with manual mode. If the truck will hardly accelerate at all in the gear you're in, likely rpms are low, drop a gear.
You'll be amazed how easy it tows compared to any big block gasser.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
Put it in drive and let the Duramax and Allison do what they do. Its a great combo and a great truck. Tow/haul will hold gears a little longer, which helps when going up hills.

Stay on top of maintenance, change your oil and fuel filters according to your manual. You'll love how the diesel pulls!

X2.
Your diesel will put a big block gasser to shame. The torque just seems to be endless.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put it in drive and let the Duramax and Allison do what they do. Its a great combo and a great truck. Tow/haul will hold gears a little longer, which helps when going up hills.

Stay on top of maintenance, change your oil and fuel filters according to your manual. You'll love how the diesel pulls!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS