cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Jacks In Their Mounts To Gain Trailer Clearance?

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to gain a couple inches of clearance for my trailer while turning, avoiding contact between the trailer and our camper's rear jack motors. Currently, the motors face the rear of the camper. I'd like to turn them about 90 degrees, towards the camper's rear door, facing one another, so they're oriented parallel to the back of the camper (vs. the present perpendicular).
They're Rieco Titan jacks. I can see what appears to be three set screws, two of the screws are visible in the pic, and a nylon bushing between the mounts and the lower portion of the jack. Is it as simple as loosening the set screws, rotating the jacks and tightening the set screws? Or, are the mounts/jack shafts indexed, permitting only one position? I understand the weight these things must endure, so I'm pretty timid about experimenting without more info than what I have, which is zero.

'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack
7 REPLIES 7

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
Carb Cleaner wrote:
It can't be that easy. It never is. LOL......

It really is that easy..

Linky to thread

Sweet! You da Man! Crown will (almost) always see you through.
Thank you!
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Carb Cleaner wrote:
It can't be that easy. It never is. LOL......

It really is that easy..

Linky to thread
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
You can easily turn the drive connector after removing the motor assembly in order to line it up with the motor. Shouldn't be an issue.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I found this, if it jars anybody's memory.
http://www.riecotitan.com/flyers/WIRELESS_Convert.pdf

It looks like a Sophomore year Draftsman drawing. I guess the two concerns are the set screws for the power head and the Drive Connector Slot.

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
So, it sounds like I should rotate the power head on the jack, not the entire assembly in the mount. Makes sense. I noticed those screws while reviewing my photo. The motor head screws are above the three set screws I originally considered.
It can't be that easy. It never is. LOL. Maybe, I'll find out tomorrow, because I'm scheduled to depart the day after. Worse case, I don't take the camper off the truck during our trip. It sure would be nice to have those couple of extra inches for clearance.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I rotated mine without any issues. For the same reason. It worked out well for me. I had to put a small rubber bumper on one jack so the door wouldn't hit the motor. Other than that, good to go.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Removing the powerhead is real simple. I had one motor go bad several years ago (replaced under warranty). IIRC there is nothing in there to loose or fall out when lifting the powerhead.

However I don't positively remember whether or not it is indexed, I don't think it is though. IIRC the two screws showing in your photo are not the ones to remove/rotate the powerhead. I think the one screw showing above the two is in the right area. There obviously will be more than one.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet