cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running 19.5" wheels; what about the spare?

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a set of Rickson 19.5" wheels recently and currently shopping for tires. In the meantime, I've been reading up about the 19.5" option and it would seem Rickson's website does not find having a spare as necessary.

Rickson wrote:
Getting a spare is not necessary, however, if the spare is worked into the rotation pattern, then the set will last that much longer. It's not a good idea to leave the spare under the truck and never run it, as the rubber will dry rot and the spare may not be any good when you need it. In most cases, the 225/70R19.5 is the only size that will fit in the factory spare location, although some 245s will fit. We recommend getting a spare if it will give you peace of mind, or if you plan on traveling to Alaska or Mexico.

So I'm wondering what other 19.5" wheel owners are doing about their spare tire? Do you carry one? If so, is it rotated or changed regularly to avoid a dry rot and worthless tire?

From my research, 19.5" tires are fairly available while out on the road. My insurance covers roadside service. There are several commercial tire dealers that are capable of dispatching and installing new tire in the field.

If I had a flat, I wouldn't attempt to change it anyways, that's why I got roadside assistance with my policy. Whether I'm towed in, a tire replaced on the spot, my spare installed or any other options I'm not thinking of, I do not think it's a safe option to try and fix a roadside flat without assistance.

Follow-up question;
How many 19.5" tire owners on their truck camper have had a flat while on the road? How did you handle the situation?
77 REPLIES 77

jeffreyduncan
Explorer
Explorer
I have no intent to close it. I was simply letting you all know I got the answer. Feel free to discuss the related topics within. Cheers!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2 wrote:

No where in your reference does it mention anything about the speed at which the rev.per mile were calculated .

I just repeat that it is misfortune that knowledge about tires is so low and where is no demand, why would manufacturer create free supply?
I don't remember where I read years ago about standard rpm to be listed at 60 mph.
In the past different manufacturers listed it at different speeds and the tires match on the paper would not work on the road.
Obviously digital era in cars, when even Ford trucks have speed sensors on 4 wheels with ESP magnify the problem.
But frankly what do you care? As long as all manufacturers measure rpm at the same speed - you have good base for matching the tires.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigToe wrote:
We bluster and babble and battle... long after the war is won.
Exactly as long as we are above board and follow the rules.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the follow-up Big Toe.

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
jeffreyduncan wrote:
You guys don't need to keep this up on my behalf. I've decided I'm getting four vision wheels and four 19.5 load range G 14 ply tires. It's all good.

Glad you got your information and question/s answered. Not all OPs are successful with that happening. Many times things will get off track and the resolution will be completely different than what the OP was originally asking.

The group here continues to discuss and add to a thread, long after the OP has had their needs met. If it is important to you, you can request the moderator (click on the upper right corner where it says to notify moderator) to close the thread. Only an OP can ask for this or a Moderator may deem it necessary for the thread to be closed, for various reasons.

Again, welcome to the forum and hope to see you here often, posting or sharing your experiences and knowledge.

b
I am very pleased the OP posted the had their question answered. If the thread continues, I see no reason to close it. It is a discussion Forum. If the OP has not had their question/s answered and the thread goes off topic, then the appropriate moderating would take place.

As bka0721 posted, a request the moderator's action is available by clicking the notify moderator button.

Wayne

We bluster and babble and battle... long after the war is won.

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
So you are saying carry a spare tire, not necessarily a spare wheel with a tire mounted? That sounds practical. Would have to put a tube in there to keep the dirt out of the tire probably.

Heavens no. I'm saying have a spare on a wheel ready to mount that can be bolted up by a random 18 year old kid who just got hired the previous month by the tow company who just happens to get dispatched by AAA to the unknown back woods area where you have a flat in the middle of the night.

This is 2016. The odds of an under 25 year old knowing how to dismount and remount a tire off and on a rim, by hand, on the side of the road, with only two tire irons, without ruining the tire bead or the finish of those high dollar Rickson or Vision rims, are very, very slim.

I dismount and remount tires on 19.5" on rims at home, with only two tire irons, and it is hard work that I would not want to tackle under the already flustered and frustrating circumstances of having a blowout and being on the sloping side of the road.

Two out of the four times I was on the side of the road fixing my blow outs, I played musical tires, pulling a tire from the dually pair in the back to put on the front. Of the remaining two times, once I had a spare, and once I didn't, and was too loaded to break up a dually pair. THAT was a very long night, punctuated by daybreak before it was over.

Carry a spare that is ready to use.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bka0721 wrote:
jeffreyduncan wrote:
You guys don't need to keep this up on my behalf. I've decided I'm getting four vision wheels and four 19.5 load range G 14 ply tires. It's all good.

Glad you got your information and question/s answered. Not all OPs are successful with that happening. Many times things will get off track and the resolution will be completely different than what the OP was originally asking.

The group here continues to discuss and add to a thread, long after the OP has had their needs met. If it is important to you, you can request the moderator (click on the upper right corner where it says to notify moderator) to close the thread. Only an OP can ask for this or a Moderator may deem it necessary for the thread to be closed, for various reasons.

Again, welcome to the forum and hope to see you here often, posting or sharing your experiences and knowledge.

b
I am very pleased the OP posted the had their question answered. If the thread continues, I see no reason to close it. It is a discussion Forum. If the OP has not had their question/s answered and the thread goes off topic, then the appropriate moderating would take place.

As bka0721 posted, a request the moderator's action is available by clicking the notify moderator button.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

I believe the common rating is at about 60 mph.
I have seen manufacturer site showing a chart with rpms at different speeds, but that was for high-performance tire.
Here is more info tire RPM
As you can see on this topic, the knowledge about tires rpm is very low and I am meeting lot of performance car owners who have no clue how to match staggered tires.
About adding new side-topic after the original post was resolved.
That tread would be long dead without them. Think about it.

No where in your reference does it mention anything about the speed at which the rev.per mile were calculated .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:

Why invent the wheel again and do it with errors?
Low speed rpm are different than rpm at 60 mph.
That is why manufacturers list rpm at set speed.

RPM by convention is usually reserved for revolutions per minute . Tire manufactures use the term revs.per mile in their specs . I have yet to see a manufacturer who states the speed at which they determined the revs.per mile of a particular tire . If you know of one please identify .

I believe the common rating is at about 60 mph.
I have seen manufacturer site showing a chart with rpms at different speeds, but that was for high-performance tire.
Here is more info tire RPM
As you can see on this topic, the knowledge about tires rpm is very low and I am meeting lot of performance car owners who have no clue how to match staggered tires.
About adding new side-topic after the original post was resolved.
That tread would be long dead without them. Think about it.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeffreyduncan wrote:

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

Why invent the wheel again and do it with errors?
Low speed rpm are different than rpm at 60 mph.
That is why manufacturers list rpm at set speed.

RPM by convention is usually reserved for revolutions per minute . Tire manufactures use the term revs.per mile in their specs . I have yet to see a manufacturer who states the speed at which they determined the revs.per mile of a particular tire . If you know of one please identify .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jeffreyduncan
Explorer
Explorer

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipro3 wrote:

Of course RPM's are different low speed than at 60mph. That is the definition of RPMs; More and you are going faster, less and you are going slower.

Perhaps you mean distance covered per revolution? Depending on the wear of the tire and the spare, the factory specs may not be accurate. Check the actual distance covered on one revolution and compare with the other tire for accuracy and accounting for tire wear, inflation pressure.

Looks like you are confusing Rounds Per Mile with Rounds Per Minute.
The first apply to tires, the 2nd to the engines.

Carrying spare tire only is popular with semitruckers.
But I have seen it personally that the road tire service replaced the tire without removal of the wheel.
That is very common with outer big wheels, that weighting 180lb are hard to carry around and make portable holder.
I don't think that would be practical with our pickups.
Our rims are light and carrying one is not a big deal, while saving lot of inconvenience, than very often with rear single blow, the rim is toasted as well and that comes as big inconvenience.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:
Just a quick reminder that 19.5" truck tires are not invincible. I've had 4 tire blowouts in my lifetime, and 3 of them were with properly inflated 19.5" tires. If you don't have dual rear wheels, then making provisions for a spare seems like a good idea to me, even with roadside service. That way, you'll have a tire handy for them to change for you.

So you are saying carry a spare tire, not necessarily a spare wheel with a tire mounted? That sounds practical. Would have to put a tube in there to keep the dirt out of the tire probably.