Did you mean: 

Running Lights

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Many of the original running lights on my 30 yr old camper need to
be replaced and resealed so I was thinking of replacing them with
led lights. The new ones look identical but having a little trouble
telling the correct colors in areas where the sun has faded the lenses.
My guess is the fronts (5) are all amber, these are the worst faded ones.
The rears all look red. (5 total)
The sides have 2 lights with the rear one being red and the front one being amber.
Does this sound correct? Here are the lights I am thinking of using and a similar one for red.
7 REPLIES 7

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I am using these on my rig: http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/cm-1a-s68.htm

They have a lot of other style marker lights too.
Bob

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Update
I ordered these lights
on RoyB's advice. However after receiving them I find out they are
really led after all too. So I tested one of the lights hooking it up
to power and placing the light on the dash just above the radio and
also right next to the antenna of my car stereo. I did detect a little
interference but only on the AM band when between stations at the
low end of the AM band and this was
only when the light was next to the antenna. When I would tune to
an AM station I could not hear any interference. So I am going to use them as is.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the tip, I'll see what I can find that is incandescent.
Don't really want to screw up my radio or splatter RFI across the band.
Never would have thought a solid state device would do this.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since the 12V power for these lights come from the running truck there is no real 12V Battery power savings benefits of changing over to LEDS except for personal preference.

You also may run the risk of generating additional RFI signals that may interfere with some of your TV/RADIO Electronics... LED lights that have built-in 12VDC Regulators 'WILL' emit RF Noise.

I can pull up behind some of the big trucks going down the Interstate that have LED taillights and my Ham Radio goes nuts sometimes... I originally installed high dollar LED LIGHTS in my OFF-ROAD Trailer that had built-in regulation that would work with a DC Voltage range of 11-30VDC and these bothered my OTA Antenna receptions so bad it would BLANK OUT my HDTV signals. Turn the ceiling lights 'OFF' and all immediately cleared up. They also interfered with my VHF WX ALERT RADIO as well as my VHF/UHF Ham radio operations... My AM/FM radio worked just fine... Had to change the LED Boards out for the cheap $4.99 boards from China to make things work in my trailer without issues. They are still working today as a matter of fact. Installed in 2009.

Just passing along my early experience with LED LIGHTS...

Of course you can always say who cares as I will be towing the trailer when I am using them with no TV/Radio Electronics being turned on. Some report the LEDs trailer lights are an improvement as far as brightness is concerned.... Truckers seem to like them big time... This may be a totally different story being you have a Truck camper...

Just be aware you may be opening a can of worms TV/RADIO Noise wise...

Roy Ken...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
gwwing2 wrote:
looks like you have the correct colors for the lights. Only a few things to consider, if the new lights cover the space for the old light and especially to make sure the polarity of the LED is correct. I had to fiddle around to make sure the polarity was on. Funny how a 50-50 chance to get it right can goof you up eh?! Should be a great improvement for you,

Well with 14 total lights I hope the wires are color coded.
If not I guess I could hook up the truck and turn the lights on.

gwwing2
Explorer
Explorer
looks like you have the correct colors for the lights. Only a few things to consider, if the new lights cover the space for the old light and especially to make sure the polarity of the LED is correct. I had to fiddle around to make sure the polarity was on. Funny how a 50-50 chance to get it right can goof you up eh?! Should be a great improvement for you,

Dome
Explorer
Explorer
yep