cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 GMC 3500 Dually

GA1dad
Explorer
Explorer
So after my 2002 2500HD 6.0 gasser was stolen a few weeks back, my uncle stepped up and offered to loan me his dually until I can find another truck. Then he says, "if you like it, you can buy it for $7000".

The truck seems to run great,, very quiet. It has 191K on it, new batteries, new brakes and the tires have about 20k on them. It has a cracked windshield and is missing the tailgate. It is set up for 5th wheel. Of course it's the Duramax 6.6 w/ automatic tranny ( Allison? ),, and it has the +/- on the shifter, but I haven't looked into how that works yet. It also has a couple of other small issues like the electric door locks don't work, nor does the cruise control.

Now I've never owned a diesel, or a dually. But my gut is telling that at $7000, I should buy it? What do you guys think?
20 REPLIES 20

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
On my GM's cupped wheels where either shocks or bearings, neither are a huge repair bill if it is. Its a great truck at great price. Sounds like a no brainer to me!
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

GA1dad
Explorer
Explorer
Just for the record. It is 2 wheel drive,, which is a plus for me in this case. I've got another little 4x4 if I need to scratch that itch. And it is a crew cab. And I mistitled the thread,,,, it is badged as a Chevy, not a GMC. Wood toned trim on dash.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
rowekmr wrote:
Even with 7K plus possible 7K for repairs 14K compared to used prices of LBZ's and not to mention new truck prices is still a steal in my book. You can't get them wrecked (and possibly not running) for less than 7k at auctions.

Exactly 7K is a great deal! The truck is worth an easy $15K in my area.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
Buy it. If nothing else you could likely resell it for about 3 or 4 times that price. Those trucks are really sought after.

With almost 200k and list of broken parts? That's a $10k truck even around here where everyone thinks their trucks are worth gold.
Reading before replying is sometimes a good idea.
Here's my take.
Yes running/driving and not beat to heck, $7k is a good deal.
You could easily add another $7k to that in repairs by tomorrow depending on the life left in some of the major components.
Uncle sounds like he don't take care of his stuff to me. If he can't fix a windshield and some window regulators, how well did he maintain the drivetrain for the last 191kmi?

Even well maintained 200k is the end f the road for a lot of parts and since you don't know much about trucks, I'd get it checked out by someone who does before spending the $.

Not only did I read I ran it past Kelly Blue book. I had to assume a few things of course but according to that site the truck is likely worth more than double the asking price. Don't know if my assumptions (crew cab, 4 x 4, etc.) were correct.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Even with 7K plus possible 7K for repairs 14K compared to used prices of LBZ's and not to mention new truck prices is still a steal in my book. You can't get them wrecked (and possibly not running) for less than 7k at auctions.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

GA1dad
Explorer
Explorer
I hear ya Grit dog. And for the same reasoning I'm grateful for the extended test drive so I can get a real feel for it's overall mechanical condition.

I also noticed yesterday that it's not leaking any oil,,, and I have yet to smell diesel fumes.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a horrible deal. I am appalled at his asking price.

Now can you send me his contact info I like "horrible deals"! LOL
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
Buy it. If nothing else you could likely resell it for about 3 or 4 times that price. Those trucks are really sought after.

With almost 200k and list of broken parts? That's a $10k truck even around here where everyone thinks their trucks are worth gold.
Here's my take.
You could easily add another $7k to that in repairs by tomorrow depending on the life left in some of the major components.
Uncle sounds like he don't take care of his stuff to me. If he can't fix a windshield and some window regulators, how well did he maintain the drivetrain for the last 191kmi?

Even well maintained 200k is the end f the road for a lot of parts and since you don't know much about trucks, I'd get it checked out by someone who does before spending the $.

I, like you have if's about it but we don't know his uncle. I have buddies around here that farm and use their trucks that will go out and buy a brand new truck and drag a log chain right over the side of the bed getting it out. Rip the tailgate right off of it because they forget they unhooked the goose neck cattle trailer and didn't drop the tailgate last night when they got home. They look at it like it's a truck and if it don't have anything to do with the dependability of the truck they don't worry about it. I can hear one of them right now. " Door locks don't work? Oh well, don't need them anyway. Don't lock my truck anyway....."

They will change the fluids and fix anything mechanical right now.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
KD4UPL wrote:

Here's my take.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GA1dad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

So he told me that once a week I should take it out on the highway and open her up to blow out the carbon. Well, I "opened her up" on the interstate yesterday,,, and I won't lie,,,, it was scary how fast it took off!! I was holding on thinking "woah big boy!!" Clearly it will be tugging my Grey Wolf with ease,, even up the mountains.

So far the only thing I don't like about it is it's such a stiff, hard ride. But I understand that's the nature of an unloaded 1 ton truck suspension.

I also noticed some slight cupping on the outside of the drivers front tire,, will have to see about that before it gets out of hand.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations on your new diesel truck!
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Assuming the truck is in decent shape,your uncle is practically giving you the truck. The truck is worth at least twice that amount.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
corvettekent wrote:
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
A 2007 dually diesel for $7000... Do you really have to think about it? Jump on it!! Your uncle is a nice guy!

X2

X3 Sounds like a excellent deal.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"