cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rusty propane line

nanannjen
Explorer
Explorer
I have been trying to get a few rust spots off of my TT frame and bumper...looked under the trailer and noticed the propane line (galvanized?) looks completely rusted. Is this a problem? I brushed off one section with a wire brush and applied Ospho to convert the rust. Do I need to protect the rest of the line in a similar manner? Maybe this is overkill but I'm going on the notion that no rust is good. Anyone run into this, what have you done? Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have some odd circumstance, the trailer will be long in the junk yard before the rusty pipe becomes a problem. Now if you just don't like the looks that's another issue.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pad of Scotch Brite to knock the loose rust off then spray with black Rust Oleum. Very simple to do.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2015 Laredo and that line is totally covered in rust.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Should be black iron and not galvanized. I forget why, but you're not supposed to mix zinc pipe and natural gas. Paint it if it looks ugly. It'll take the rust forever to eat through.

They worry about flakes of the galvanizing material coming loose inside the pipe and blocking flow to the appliances.

That is correct. The galvanized flakes can clog the orifices in the appliance.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Should be black iron and not galvanized. I forget why, but you're not supposed to mix zinc pipe and natural gas. Paint it if it looks ugly. It'll take the rust forever to eat through.

They worry about flakes of the galvanizing material coming loose inside the pipe and blocking flow to the appliances.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Naval jelly to remove the rust. Wire brush to finish the cleanup. Then black rustoleum spray paint. Totally not needed but sure looks a lot prettier.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a black iron pipe and they do rust. Your call on how much rust is acceptable. I have one under my rig and it does have some rust. It is 44 yrs old this year.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton