cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Cover with Slide-Out

kobaker1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 27 foot Travel Trailer with a slide out. I want to get a cover for it. Is there a cover out there that will allow you to open the slid-out? I see most all of them have zippers or access points to the door.
10 REPLIES 10

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never driven past a single RV lot and saw their hundreds of thousands of dollars in inventory sitting there with covers on them.
Me neither - why? Because that would be dumb.

And yes, when I stored mine in a storage facility, you could see first hand the effects weather has on an RV. Sure - if you have the space and money for a metal building to cover it then great.

I park in full sun in my driveway. Shortly after I come home from a trip, I put the cover on it - have done so multiple times this season. Takes no time. You don't have to do that, but my caulk on top isn't sun beaten and cracking before it's time to redo it. The more you can do to protect it from the elements the longer it will last.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
badercubed wrote:
Curiously, why do you want a cover? Most dealers I've ever talked to do not recommend them.

Carport on the other hand actually allows the unit to "breathe" so to speak.
Oh come on! I'll bet this one dealer doesn't sell them. Thanks for the laugh...

OP - most likely you won't find a cover that allows the slide to extend. Covering is a very good idea - just install it correctly and you will be fine. Search my posts for cover or ADCO.
Did I say one dealer? Funny thing is I went to the ADCO site and one of the guys is actually a dealer for them.

I have never driven past a single RV lot and saw their hundreds of thousands of dollars in inventory sitting there with covers on them.

But yes, perhaps for long term storage a cover might be something to look into, but for this guy to put one on and off during the course of a camping season, a carport would be a much wiser investment.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
badercubed wrote:
Curiously, why do you want a cover? Most dealers I've ever talked to do not recommend them.

Oh come on! I'll bet this one dealer doesn't sell them. Thanks for the laugh...

OP - most likely you won't find a cover that allows the slide to extend. Covering is a very good idea - just install it correctly and you will be fine. Search my posts for cover or ADCO.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
RavensFan24 wrote:
Yeah, for a few hundred bucks, I'd just get the carport. Gives you the freedom you want and the protection you need. Well unless you get a fancy carport, then it'd be a few grand.

Yup Carport & its cheaper in the long run....... Covers don't last that long. I would need 3 a year but some might get a couple year out of one if you are lucky

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, for a few hundred bucks, I'd just get the carport. Gives you the freedom you want and the protection you need. Well unless you get a fancy carport, then it'd be a few grand.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carport
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think you'll find anything unless you go full custom and have a zippered opening placed in that location like they do for the door(s).
FWIW, I can run my slide out about a foot without any undue stress on the cover.

kobaker1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks....just looking for one as a convenience. I keep it at my house and I'd like to keep the cover on it...would be nice if the cover allowed the slide to open so the kids could use it more just for fun.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know of any covers that will allow you to open the slide out. But, I could be wrong.
Covers are generally used for storage and I think most people retract the slide out when storing their RV.
You may have to have a cover custom made for your unit if you want to open the slides.