cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv show what to expect?

Camper214
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone we have a rv show coming up next weekend and was wondering do you really save money on a new trailer if you buy one there?We weโ€™re just wondering what experiences other people have had.Thanks for any replies
30 REPLIES 30

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this subject has been pretty much beat down, except for the most important stuff.

What can you expect? Here is the important stuff...

- Wall to wall people. Yeah, remember the state park last 4th of July? Now imagine all the campers packed into the one restroom. The halls will kind of be like that.

- $6 beer. As if wall to wall people isn't enough to make you crabby. Be prepared to shell out the approximate GDP of a small country for refreshments.

- Beef Jerky. I don't know how these nice folks magically appear out of nowhere, but it seems if someone isn't trying to sell an RV or RV parts, they are selling beef jerky. Where do all these folks go when the RV shows aren't around I will never know, but RV shows are thick with the stuff.

- Imagine yourself inside your dream trailer. Now imagine yourself in your dream trailer with ten of your closest friends. Now imagine yourself in your dream trailer, with ten of your closest friends, with someone trying to surgically extract your money from you.

- Don't miss the parking lot. Spend a few moments to notice what kind of rigs are popular.

Long story short, I never found them a great way to shop. Too high paced. My daughter and like to go and kick around and check out the people and the new stuff. But for actual buying, we hit the lots on a weekday.

It's a great experience if taken with the right attitude.

Though I must say, for a group of people who have chosen an activity that is supposed to be about getting away from the crowds, the RV show is all about the crowds.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
When I was shopping for a TT, the salesman saw my wife's van and asked what my tow vehicle was. He said the van would not pull a TT. I told him about my F-150.

Also at an RV show I asked two different salesmen what I needed to do to my F-150 to pull their fifth wheel. Both told me to buy an F-250.

The guys with a well established dealerships simply do not need the hassle, there are enough issues with the normal day to day activities.

The bigger problem is the dealers only know the towing ratings from the manufacturer, they have no idea what the customer considers essential.

My F-150 has a tow rating of 9500 lbs. I can tow it if I want to leave my wife and dog home.:)
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Rustycamperpants wrote:
I actually had a potential customer get upset with me because I told him and his wife that the 10K # camper he wanted me to write up could not be pulled with his Armada. It works both ways! ??

Indeed! Thanks for caring! Wish I ran into more like you. You guys/gals are out there! ๐Ÿ™‚

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
When we go to the show we look at the latest gizmos, I like the bed side USB chargers, the MORryde steps and few other items.

As for the TTs we pick up a brochure to to see which TTs we could pull. Lately they seem to be making them heavier, compared to our 2010 model.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I see no reason to buy at an RV show unless you know the exact unit you want and know what price you're willing to pay.
I've walked thru my share pf RV shows and like most of us here, I already know what I may want and what a good price is.
Problem with RV shows is that generally most RV's are crowded and finding time to look over the whole unit, sit in the chairs for 20 mins, talk privately about what you both like or dislike without having everyone in the RV ease dropping is not my way of shopping.
I much prefer to be on the dealers lot when the final decision time comes. It's much easier to ask the sales person to give you some time to really get a feel for the RV without distractions.
RV shows IMO are a good way to spend part of your day checking out the latest and greatest in the RV world without any pressure to buy.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I actually had a potential customer get upset with me because I told him and his wife that the 10K # camper he wanted me to write up could not be pulled with his Armada. It works both ways! ??
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
You can expect almost every salesperson to say, โ€œYou can pull that with a Tacoma!โ€ LOL. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Rustycamperpants wrote:
Big Love wrote:
How about the fact that hundreds of people are tramping through RVs at big shows? Pushing buttons, scratching finishes, opening doors, walking on carpet, etc. In one sense, you are buying a used RV at a show.

I think shows are a good place to window shop and see options, then negotiate with the dealer for a truly "new" RV or buy at the show a "used" RV with significant discount.

This is not the case with the shows I work, I am only a part timer but I know that the buyer gets the show camper only if they want it or cannot wait.

Usually the buyer sees what they like, look at the options and order the new camper to be delivered to the dealer before the start of the camping season. My view is just a snapshot of whay happens when I participate in a show with my local dealer ... not sure what the box store dealers do. For us the buyer locks in a show price on the unit of thier choice and can back out with no obligation, this is how it works for us.

That is exactly what I have found also... IF you want that trailer, itโ€™s yours for the right cost.... I , myself would never do that.. BUT, thats just me
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
Big Love wrote:
How about the fact that hundreds of people are tramping through RVs at big shows? Pushing buttons, scratching finishes, opening doors, walking on carpet, etc. In one sense, you are buying a used RV at a show.

I think shows are a good place to window shop and see options, then negotiate with the dealer for a truly "new" RV or buy at the show a "used" RV with significant discount.

This is not the case with the shows I work, I am only a part timer but I know that the buyer gets the show camper only if they want it or cannot wait.

Usually the buyer sees what they like, look at the options and order the new camper to be delivered to the dealer before the start of the camping season. My view is just a snapshot of whay happens when I participate in a show with my local dealer ... not sure what the box store dealers do. For us the buyer locks in a show price on the unit of thier choice and can back out with no obligation, this is how it works for us.

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
It doesn't take long for all the RV's to start looking alike, and you'll forget which ones you liked.

Make up a score sheet with things you are looking for. Some of those thing may be floor plan, floor space, counter space, storage, insulation, tank heat, slide outs, beds (layout/size), trailer size / weight, etc. Maybe, even look at distance to nearest dealer (that's where you'll pick up your unit, and get any after sale support".

As you are going through each unit, do a score sheet, and make notes on anything that stands out. There may be items that have different importance to you and your significant other.

To the original poster Camper214.

I've been to a number of shows. Generally we view it as a day's entertainment (as SoundGuy says). The advise above is also good if you are serious about shopping for an RV. You will quickly lose track of which model was which and where it was. Take pictures/videos and make notes. You will likely find much you don't care about (bunkhouse units maybe or toyhaulers maybe) along with some good ideas you never thought of and some features that you specifically want to avoid. Make a note of all those. You can find all the brochures & info online, no need to bring home a bagful of paper you're just going to throw in the garbage later.
Dave

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been generally my experience that I can negotiate the best price on a big ticket item when people are NOT waiting in line for a salesperson to sell it to them.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our TT at our dealer and got a great deal, but I found out later that we could have gotten a better deal if we had gone to the show earlier in the season. I now help at shows with the same local dealer and have seen for myself some deals made at the show that I can still hardly believe. Things like a Great deal on a WDH, free AC, Free extened warranty.

The best deals can be had when you get a couple of dealers to try to win you over when they know you are serious. Go to a show, find what you like and get the dealers to start bidding for your business. You may be suprised at the amount of movement there is.

The shows that I work at have the benefit of locking in a show price and once you signed the pricing deal you can go to the dealer lot and get a show package price for up to two weeks on anything there that may fit your needs better ... it is a no lose scenario. Im pretty sure that if the potential buyer then decides that they made a mistake and changed thier mind the paper that locks in the show price is ripped up and there is no obligation.

I am not sure how some of the huge box store RV dealers work as I only work the show with my dealer because I really like talking campers with people and I make a little extra money. I have no idea what the mark up of an RV is so I cannot answer to that question if anyone were to ask.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Shows really are a great place to narrow your choices from say a dozen rigs to your top 5 or 6. Nice to be indoors, away from high pressure sales guys homing in on you at the lot. I love to hear the comments made by both sales persons and buyers as they can be equally ridiculous depending on what is important to one family vs another. Take sales rhetoric with a grain of salt, spend lots of time in units that might suit your needs and then head to the dealers after the fact to further focus on the 1-2 units that tick all the boxes. A smart phone is helpful to take photos, make notes on and scan the barcodes to your phone if they post them on the units.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)