cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV without a WD hitch

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, thanks for all the help on here so far.

If I go pick up my new RV and get the hitch (E4 most likely) later, is that OK? The travel trailer is 11k GVW and I have a f350 SRW crew, with the 4160 payload package (16k towing).

Can I drive safely (possibly 7+ hours home) with just a normal ball and no anti sway/WD hitch?
39 REPLIES 39

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What built in sway control for trailers does your new F350 have?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
The RV transporter pulled it from Northern Indiana without WD or anti-sway, you probably can too.
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
If It was me doing the towing, I think I'd be fine with it for the one trip then go the E2 route. I really can't speak for you though. An 11000 pound trailer is no light weight and I'm going to think it'll have a somewhat porky tongue weight as well. Without a WD hitch you are relying completely on the weight distribution in the coach to balance out the load. I don't think you'd have a lot issues with the tongue weight other that the occasional whoop-de-do when you come across a bridge/overpass crossing at any kind of speed on a highway...that tongue weight(w/o your E2)will push down hard on the ass-end of the pickup lightening up the front axle and steering. It's about recognizing what the hazards are due to the physics, and how you are going plan and work around them. And as the previous poster commented, make sure the ball and the ball mount are rated for this duty.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, we are looking at the 37' rockwood/flagstaffs with the bunkhouse floor plan.

Yes the WD is weight distribution. Looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-Progress-90-00-1000-10K-Hitch/dp/B07RZV1SJ6

We found a nice flagstaff 832bws about 6 hours away in PA (we're in CT) and we mave have a great deal to get it this weekend!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think a 350 SRW is gonna squat, I barely get any squat with a 3100 lb camper in the bed. You don't say what kind of trailer, a lot depends on the weight/balance when empty. Sway is caused by not enough tongue weight, 10% is the bare minimum.

For example, toy haulers have very heavy tongue weights when empty so that when you load those heavy toys behind the axles the tongue doesn't get too light. An empty toy hauler will tow great as long as your truck can handle the tongue weight.

On the other hand front kitchen models are built tongue-light so that it doesn't get too heavy on the tongue when you load in food, beer and pots/pans. Manufacturers control tongue weight using axle placement.

Chances are you'll be fine towing empty with no WD hitch on that truck. Build speed slowly and be ready with the manual switch on the trailer brakes at the first hint of sway.

Length also matters, the longer the TT the more sail area that the wind will act on, both natural gales and passing semis.

Congrats on the new TT!!

dedmiston
Seven hours is a long way to white-knuckle a bad setup.

Can you wait a few days to get the right equipment? There should always be time for the right gear.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
It’s doable. I did it for the first season and did have sway when traveling past semis and on windy days. Nothing like I was gonna wreck or anything but it was noticeable. Now that I have one I wouldn’t go without. It makes a huge difference.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "E4" refers to sway control device?

You do not need sway control unless you have a trailer that sways. Sway control is nice to have just in case, but
you certainly can tow any size trailer without sway control.

Make sure your ball is rated for that 11,000 lb trailer weight, some are not.

Sounds like your receiver hitch/towing set-up is ample for what you plan to tow.
The only question is will your truck self-level like many new trucks with tow packages. A 11,000 trailer will have 1,000-1.500 lbs of tongue weight so will cause the rear of truck to squat, then is when WD hitch helps, or if the truck itself can air up and level off.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
New F350?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Possibly. From where to where? Any wind in the forecast? Any sway prevention in the F350? Year? Your profile gives NO information. Stealthy? Doesn’t matter the length of your drive. You can get blown off the highway 5 minutes from home.