cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety Chains Just Took On a Whole New Meaning

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9366201/Rescuers-save-2-pickup-dangling-deep-Idaho-gorge.ht...

Sad when you have to go to the Daily Mail to see more than just one picture 😞

:):)0
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!
13 REPLIES 13

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Considering how beat up Lippert gets for frame issues, it is hard to argue that their safety chain hook up isn't stout.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Wow talk about hanging by a thread.

Flagstaff TT.....Looks like a 26RWBS.
Lippert Frame and chains typically attached to the top of the A frame tubes with a chunk of soft 5/16" round bar stock, welded to the top of the tubes by a 3rd grader or a tweaker.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I passed over that bridge on Sunday (accident on Monday I believe). Pretty crappy luck of all the places to lose it, it happened over that relatively short bridge. Practically anywhere else in the area and it would have not been as big an issue. It wasn't windy that day, I am curious how coming from Garden City that they happened to lose it right there, maybe he fell asleep or something.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
More Photos Here

That's a pretty deep canyon and the bottom is a bunch of rocks. Major pucker factor to hang over the edge like that. That area is generally windy and it happened to be a windy day, which may have played a role. I've been over that bridge more times than I can count.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
So much for a 3/4 1 ton truck is safer! You can have all the truck in the world, if the combo isn't setup properly then it's no better than a 1/2 ton towing a PuP.

I think it is possible to drive either setup off a bridge.

The 1/2,3/4,1 ton safety debate has no merit in this incident.

Exactly, but people always say a 3/4-1 ton is safer. Not true!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
So much for a 3/4 1 ton truck is safer! You can have all the truck in the world, if the combo isn't setup properly then it's no better than a 1/2 ton towing a PuP.

I think it is possible to drive either setup off a bridge.

The 1/2,3/4,1 ton safety debate has no merit in this incident.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
TurnThePage wrote:
The safety chains on my trailer would likely fail in that scenario. The chains themselves might be up to the task, but the little scrap of metal they're attached to wouldn't.
Ditto. Our last two bumper-pull TT's used standard bolts and/or small spot welds to secure these safety chains to the TT's tongue/A-frame. Just amazed the chain remained connected to the trailer---especially in light of the fact that truck hanging off the bridge was an Ford F350 weighing in over 8k lbs.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
TurnThePage wrote:
...the little scrap of metal they're attached to wouldn't.

That’s not a nice thing to say about your Ram. :B

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The safety chains on my trailer would likely fail in that scenario. The chains themselves might be up to the task, but the little scrap of metal they're attached to wouldn't.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
FAKE NEWS only 1/2 tons crash
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found that if I want much other than partisan politics I have to go to foreign sources of news.

I am glad that they are safe. The truck looked like it must have been spotless before the wreck but it can be replaced.