cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sales tax, tag, and registration?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of buying a TC from a dealership in GA; I live in TN. From what I could find out sales tax is .07 in TN plus about $81 fees for rv's over $1600. You have to pay the tax to register and title in your state? Do you have to pay a renewal fee every year even though a TC doesn't need a Tag? I guess some people don't register or title their TC? Is that even legal and acceptable? What if the bank has the lean on it,they will need a title right? I guess the insurance Co just needs the vin. I know tc' s are somewhat different animal.
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
35 REPLIES 35

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer
In Utah if the camper is less than I believe year 2011 there are is no titling, however we do have a โ€˜registrationโ€™ of campers and they are $10 a year. Of course you pay sales tax on everything in itah so if you bought a 20,000 2009 camper you wouldnโ€™t get a title but you would pay sales tax on the full 20k. Same goes if you bought a camper for $500. Now if the camper is newer than 2011 they get their own title and tag, just like a trailer. Again, each state is different and I know a lot of people forgo the registration unless they didnโ€™t pay cash outright then the BOS or title is sent to the DMV for
You to conviently pick up... and pay the taxes ๐Ÿ˜‰

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Bigfoot used out of state. Gave them a cashiers check. They gave me a hand written receipt. I stopped at my State Farm agent when I got home. They took a few pics and wrote down the serial number. Truck insurance covers it on the truck. Homeowners covers it while stored.
All done.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

70GTO
Explorer
Explorer
Just this week, I completed the purchased a new TC. The dealer I purchased it from is Located in Oregon & I reside in Illinois. Illinois, does not collect sales tax, title or require plates for truck campers "the plates on the truck cover both truck & TC". As it's already been stated here, Tennessee will have it's own laws, but this is what my experience has been. I do agree with Keyteg1 tho, regarding State taxes. Even though the dealer from another state isn't required to collect them, doesn't mean you aren't expected to declare it on your home state's income tax. A trip to your local DMV should give you your answers. Bruce
Retirement Date: JANUARY, 01,2018
2018 Chevy Duramax/Allison Dually
2018 Northern Lite 10-2EXCD SE
5 out of 4 People have Trouble with Fractions !!!

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, another truck camper in TN! Woohoo! We'll have enough for our own rally yet! Sent you a PM.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
jarata1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I have yet to register either of my used TCs here. Like Sidecar, first, I pay enough taxes for 3-4 people already and I all but refuse to pay tax on something that's been taxed once already. I always seem to have a spare license plate with a valid sticker. I just slap one on the camper when we use it.
And yes, if you have a loan the bank couldn't give 2 schitts whether you paid tax or not.

Good luck if you get pulled over or are in an accident

Don't quite get your snarky comment. If the camper is insured and the truck is insured and you get in an accident or pulled over, all LE is going to check is the truck registration and insurance, not the camper.

That is a heavy bet you are making.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
There is not such a thing like designated tax for TC.
Either the state has sale tax, or not.
Tax enforcement is another story.
I would compare it to paying for permit to replace household water heater.
No private person want to pay that, yet city will gladly take the money.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
So many folks here seem to be commenting in absolutes. Different states have different laws and rules, including what the LEO's may be looking for.
Not all states have a sales/use tax on tc's. Some do. Not all states require TC registration. Some do. Not all states have tags on the TC. Some do. All these comments may be true for the states they are referring to, but not for all. Nuff said.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jarata1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I have yet to register either of my used TCs here. Like Sidecar, first, I pay enough taxes for 3-4 people already and I all but refuse to pay tax on something that's been taxed once already. I always seem to have a spare license plate with a valid sticker. I just slap one on the camper when we use it.
And yes, if you have a loan the bank couldn't give 2 schitts whether you paid tax or not.

Don't quite get your snarky comment. If the camper is insured and the truck is insured and you get in an accident or pulled over, all LE is going to check is the truck registration and insurance, not the camper.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody in TN who's dealt with this?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
WA requires you to register your truck camper and it gets its own plate. It doesnโ€™t cost much, around $16 in my case.

The main reason the state requires registration is to make sure you have paid the sales tax on it (10% here in Seattle). Most (all?) states that have sales taxes require you to pay sales tax (in WA called use tax) on out of state purchases. If you buy something out of state you are supposed to inform the state and send hem a check for the sales tax. However, they have no way of enforcing this on individuals. Hence the registration requirement of truck campers in WA.

(Off topic but I would note that they do enforce this on businesses. When my wifeโ€™s business was audited by the state ( businesses are required to maintain financial records) the main thing they were looking for was out of state purchases to make sure we had also paid the WA state sales tax)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My brother lives in WA and from what I observe in last years, the Silicon Valley business moved to Seattle area now. They have higher number of Ferraris and Teslas, than CA now and seem the state is following CA taxation as well.
From no smog few years back, now they have full CA smog requirements and other inspections/taxes/fees as well.
In TC case they went farther than CA as CA doesn't have any registration for them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ No, some states like WA require TCs to have their own registration as if they were a trailer or vehicle. Crazy, right?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on state, Joe. In CA TTs are registered, plated and yearly stickered on plate.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad