cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Diego KOA bound

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I are departing on our longest RV trip of our lives tomorrow. We normally take two or three night weekend trips dry camping deep in the mountains of Montana and Wyoming.... This time we are "city slicker camping" at the KOA in San Diego for 6 nights, for a total of 9 nights if you include the along-the-way stops.

This poor camper has never been so stuffed with stuff! There isn't a cubic inch of storage left in it.

Can't wait to see my 2.5 year old daughter's face watching the animals at the zoo and sea world.

Trip report with lots of pics to follow upon our return.
1994 S&S 9.5' SC-B, StableLift, 2x6V golf cart batteries, LED interior lights
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW CTD 48RE to G56 6-speed conversion, Quadzilla 65HP Chip
6 REPLIES 6

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
Mike,

We are headed to San Diego also. Doing it the quicky, not so fun way....flying. Newport Beach first for a few days, then down to San Diego for a wedding on 9/1. I am a water person so I want to explore the coast but my husband has an itch to see desert. Thinking of diverting through Palm Springs area on the return trip back up to Newport Beach. Seems doable on the map, but I am curious if we are being overly ambitious to do that in one day. If we did have the TC it would be so much easier to just stop when we wanted to.

I have also been scouting out TC dealers in the area. I would love to get a look at a Northstar. Truck campers, especially pop ups are pretty rare in my area.

Enjoy your trip!!!

TC dealers are even rarer in San Diego. There is not one TC dealer in San Diego County.
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
Lisa,
If you want to go from San Diego back to Newport Beach, and visit the desert, it will be a long drive but doable. If I was making that trip I would take Hwy 67 out of San Diego to Hwy 78 in Ramona. Then follow Hwy 78E to Hwy 79 to S2. Follow S2 for about 3-1/2 miles and turn left onto S22 (Montezuma Valley Rd.). This is a beautiful drive through the back country mountains of San Diego County. Following S22 will take you down out of the mountains with an airplane view of the desert floor and the Salton Sea and drop you into Borrego Springs and Anza-Borrego State Park. That is the most visually rewarding route in my opinion. You can follow S22 to Hwy 86 and follow it to I-10 which goes right by Palm Springs and continues back into Los Angeles. You can pick an appropriate route back to Newport Beach from I-10. If you leave San Diego by 8:00 AM you should be able to do lunch in Palm Springs and be back to Newport Beach in plenty of time for dinner.

X2 - good suggestions.
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
Lisa,
If you want to go from San Diego back to Newport Beach, and visit the desert, it will be a long drive but doable. If I was making that trip I would take Hwy 67 out of San Diego to Hwy 78 in Ramona. Then follow Hwy 78E to Hwy 79 to S2. Follow S2 for about 3-1/2 miles and turn left onto S22 (Montezuma Valley Rd.). This is a beautiful drive through the back country mountains of San Diego County. Following S22 will take you down out of the mountains with an airplane view of the desert floor and the Salton Sea and drop you into Borrego Springs and Anza-Borrego State Park. That is the most visually rewarding route in my opinion. You can follow S22 to Hwy 86 and follow it to I-10 which goes right by Palm Springs and continues back into Los Angeles. You can pick an appropriate route back to Newport Beach from I-10. If you leave San Diego by 8:00 AM you should be able to do lunch in Palm Springs and be back to Newport Beach in plenty of time for dinner.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at that park in our RV last year when we took the daughter and granddaughters to San Diego. It is a beautiful, secure, well maintained and active RV park. They have activities going for kids and family constantly and makes a great place to come back to after touring San Diego. Have a great time and travel safely.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
what a fun trip with the family, take lots of pics and make sure you have some street tacos in old town the best mmmmmmm. Our prayers are with you on your travels
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,

We are headed to San Diego also. Doing it the quicky, not so fun way....flying. Newport Beach first for a few days, then down to San Diego for a wedding on 9/1. I am a water person so I want to explore the coast but my husband has an itch to see desert. Thinking of diverting through Palm Springs area on the return trip back up to Newport Beach. Seems doable on the map, but I am curious if we are being overly ambitious to do that in one day. If we did have the TC it would be so much easier to just stop when we wanted to.

I have also been scouting out TC dealers in the area. I would love to get a look at a Northstar. Truck campers, especially pop ups are pretty rare in my area.

Enjoy your trip!!!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon