cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sanitizing fresh water tank? Bleach?

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
What is a good way to sanitize my fresh water tank? Should I use bleach? If so how much?

Thanks
John
22 REPLIES 22

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boating places like West Marine also have treatment and freshener.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I've used bleach (1/4 CUP to 15 gallons) and left it overnight. Works well, BUT takes a fair amount of rinsing out to get rid of the bleach smell/taste.

I now use hydrogen peroxide. I pour a quart ($1.50 or so) of the 3% drugstore peroxide in the 35 gallon fresh water tank, fill 'er up to the top from the hose, use the pump to fill the water heater and the lines, and let it sit for a day or so. Then dump the fresh water tank and use city water to run water through things for a couple minutes, instead of half an hour. No smell, no taste, and no hassle. Granted that's about $1.25 more expensive than using bleach. But I can afford that.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
The standing method is 1/4 bleach (Do not use low splash) to every 15 gallons of water.
On their website, Clorox says that 30 minutes is sufficient but I usually leave it overnight.
To completely kill the bleach in the water and remove any smell or taste of it, poor in a few ounces of hydrogen peroxide (perfectly safe and amount doesn't really matter), run it through the lines and then drain and refill.

I use Hydrogen Peroxide myself instead of bleach. Has no smell, kills everything and is safe to ingest diluted. Never been fond of the bleach smell. I use 35%.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rather than bleach, I use chlorine granules. About 1 tablespoon for 40 gallons. Let sit overnight, then run through all faucets until empty, then refill with fresh water.

No need for multiple flushings and/or additives to remove the icky bleach taste.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please, bear II, don't waste wine in water tanks!
1/4 cup bleach for each 15 gallons of water and I agree with Scott that only 30 minutes isn't safe enough.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The standing method is 1/4 bleach (Do not use low splash) to every 15 gallons of water.
On their website, Clorox says that 30 minutes is sufficient but I usually leave it overnight.
To completely kill the bleach in the water and remove any smell or taste of it, poor in a few ounces of hydrogen peroxide (perfectly safe and amount doesn't really matter), run it through the lines and then drain and refill.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
JRJR wrote:
What is a good way to sanitize my fresh water tank? Should I use bleach? If so how much?

Thanks
John

There's a couple formulas, let these solutions soak 24-48 hours after running water to every faucet and showerhead:

Troubled System (green things floating around): 0.13oz/gallon of tank size = oz of bleach to use, Exp - 7.8 oz/60 gallons

Preventative = 1 oz bleach / 60 gallons (you can still drink and use it).

And then other things:

Remove Smells = 1.5 cups vinegar/60 gallons
Sweeten the water = 1/2 cup Baking Soda/60 gallons

You can see that it doesn't take much. These amounts are from an honest to goodness scientist and RV'er who also was a city water manager for several decades.

Also, the Bear II is right about that wine.

In these days of growing zones of drought, it's best not to fill and dump your tanks over and over if avoidable. Also, city sewage systems don't need really strong bleach water hitting their bacteria so use the Baking soda after a troubled system wash. Dump it into the tank after the 24-48 hour soak, and let it neutralize the water for a few hours.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
cheap wine will do the job and taste better than bleach