cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satelite tv

MFOX
Explorer
Explorer
We are hoping to be getting our first travel trailer. I see people with their satelite dishes at the campgrounds and wondered how it worked. Do I need to have a membership or account with a satelite company? How does it work? We don't tend to watch TV that much, but it might be nice every once in a while on longer vacation times.
MFox
Wonderful DH
Three kids:)
Daughter 99
Sons 01 & 05
Four rescue dogs who are wonderful!
25 REPLIES 25

DonCon
Explorer
Explorer
What is the app you use to find the satellite?

Explorer II
Explorer II
As most others have stated, we have Dish Network at home so I bought a $150 dish, took the receiver from the extra bedroom and viola, sat tv on the road for no extra charge.
The first time getting it to work was a learning curve but now I'm watching sat tv in less than 10 minutes.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
walmart was selling a 211 dish receiver with auto. dish for $452.00.
get a monthly plan if desired.
bumpy

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you are camping, you may get over the sur channels fairly well using the trailers TV antenna. For occasional TV watching, if the CG doesn't have cable, over the air works pretty well for us.

revump
Explorer
Explorer
We use Direct TV
Bob

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
About 80% of CGs have satelite hookup. You will need about 30 ft of cable because some are located to the front of your TT and your hookup will be at the rear. We were in one at Key West and the sewer hose had to be 25 ft long too.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
MFOX wrote:
We are hoping to be getting our first travel trailer. I see people with their satelite dishes at the campgrounds and wondered how it worked. Do I need to have a membership or account with a satelite company? How does it work? We don't tend to watch TV that much, but it might be nice every once in a while on longer vacation times.

We subscribe to DirecTV at home and bring one of the SD receivers in the RV. We also have a Winegard Carryout manual dish that can be purchased at Camping World, and some extra coax cable. See the link to the RV in my signature below - the dish is set up at the right front corner of the RV.

I use an app on my Android smartphone to show me where the satellites are in relation to the tree canopy and so I know where to situate the dish. I then set the azimuth and elevation and am watching TV in no time. I get all the channels I get at home, not the local channels. If I want those I just put up the RV antenna and hope for the best. Satellite TV is not dependent on signal strength, so it works anywhere on the contiguous US.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We have DISH TV (about 5 months now), switched from Direct. Our home has 3 receivers. One is a dual receiver, the other 2 are singles. When they came to install DISH, we purchased another satellite dish and tripod from them. One of the single receivers in the spare bedroom has made it's way to the camper. Once you've done it, setting up the satellite dish is not hard, sometimes time consuming, but not hard. So, set up the dish, connect to the receiver, connect the receiver to the television and that's it.

The only down side with our plan, we get local channels only locally (central Indiana). If we travel outside the area, we get all the other channels, like always, but the local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) don't come in.

That's how we do it.
You CAN get local channels when traveling. We have DishNetwork.....and get locals at home. When you travel out of your area, call DishNetwork and tell them you're in a different area and give them the zip code for that area. We are currently in Arizona and are watching the Arizona local channels. ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish at home and bought a Tailgaiter. It works great and we have enjoyed it when in CO it rained for a week straight. You just point the handle N, best to buy a Boy Scout compass, and hook the cable up to the box. After bit it asks which state you are in, you st the state and it will check for the satellites, there are 3 and you're good to go. Cost is $7/mo and you can shut it off the months you don't use it.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Most have satellite service at home, then find an extra dish at e-bay or a flea market, etc. Get roll of coaxial cable at walmart, etc. Take a control box from home when you go. Set up dish on a tripod of some sort, Here's mine . Locate the satellites with the dish and "bingo" you are watching TV. The last part (locate the satellites) is the trickiest part, but with a little practice and research on these forums it gets easier.. Take me about 10 minutes on a bad day and 5 minutes on a good day. Good luck and welcome aboard.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have DISH TV (about 5 months now), switched from Direct. Our home has 3 receivers. One is a dual receiver, the other 2 are singles. When they came to install DISH, we purchased another satellite dish and tripod from them. One of the single receivers in the spare bedroom has made it's way to the camper. Once you've done it, setting up the satellite dish is not hard, sometimes time consuming, but not hard. So, set up the dish, connect to the receiver, connect the receiver to the television and that's it.

The only down side with our plan, we get local channels only locally (central Indiana). If we travel outside the area, we get all the other channels, like always, but the local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) don't come in.

That's how we do it.