cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Improving ride quality - suggestions?

Orcusomega
Explorer
Explorer
So I just moved from a F150 to a 350 PSD SRW, and while it tows like a dream, I have received some complaints from the matrimonial unit that the ride is a bit harsh.

Yes, **I** know its a truck! not a car, but when momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy ๐Ÿ™‚

The TV has what I believe to be the stock rear springs as well as air assist bags, and Rancho shocks on all four corners. The ride improves with the air out of the bags in the rear, but I get a lot more occilation...

Suggestions?

Thanks!
bob
2013 Forest River Surveyor Select 305 SV
2011 F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD
18 REPLIES 18

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 350/3500 series truck has stiff tires and heavy tire/wheel/brake/axle assemblies compare to 150/1500's - this "unsprung weight" and stiff tires leads to a harsher ride quality.

Our 3500 SRW - from factory - shares all components of 3500 DRW except wheels and tires -

The best empty ride quality improvement we have found is to consult a load and inflation table for our tires and run the minimum air pressure for the empty weight.

The best all around and especially loaded ride quality improvement is our AutoFlex rear suspension.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Orcusomega wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Ditch the factory rear suspension and go with a Kelderman Air Suspension System.

Wow, put a cap on that truck, and it's the twin to mine... That's a steep price tag though... Are you running it? What are your thoughts?

No I have Air Lift air bags to assist the factory springs. And yes the Kelderman system is expensive, but anyone that has it says it`s a great system and are very happy with it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I run on my 2500 Dodge. I don't have my front done (yet)but just the rear done it is unreal the difference in ride. The on-board air is also great to have and I use it A LOT.

Airbagit
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Orcusomega
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Ditch the factory rear suspension and go with a Kelderman Air Suspension System.

Wow, put a cap on that truck, and it's the twin to mine... That's a steep price tag though... Are you running it? What are your thoughts?

Orcusomega
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
No matter what you do it's never going to ride like a car. It's always going to be harsher.

Trucks can either carry the load, or have a smooth ride. You can't have both.

Sounds to me like we have a bit of a "Princess and the Pea" complex going on there. Anything harsher than her daily driver is too harsh for her.

In that case there are only two choices:

1. Get rid of the RV.
2. Get rid of the wife.

Oh I know, and so does she - but it never hurts to ask - especially when my last "I should have asked first" proved to be an expensive lesson :). I guess my intended humor came off more serious than intended... Frankly, she's my wife, so yeah, I'm going to try to make it more comfortable for her if I can - and if I can't, she can follow in the car (that was sarcasm) ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a chevy !!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

Also, be sure you aren't running too much tire pressure for the load you actually carry. If you aren't fully loaded to max GAWR, you don't need the full amounts listed on the tire inflation placard.

X2
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
No matter what you do it's never going to ride like a car. It's always going to be harsher.

Sounds to me like we have a bit of a "Princess and the Pea" complex going on there. Anything harsher than her daily driver is too harsh for her.

1. Get rid of the RV.
2. Get rid of the wife.

LOL

Maybe keep whichever is in better condition?

In all seriousness, give her time; when I bought my F250 about a year ago my GF absolutely hated it but in no time she was used to it and now even doesn't mind driving it on occasion if need be.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
truck weight

I used one of these for years ,still might stuffed up in the garage.
Saves the back and you can still use the bed ,just put a piece of plywood over it .Fill with a hose just pull the plug to empty , no 'stuff' sliding around back there.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

1. Get rid of the RV.
2. Get rid of the wife.

I beg to differ with you. My 2500 rides as good as any 1500.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Air down the rears,50 psi or less will help ,unloaded the rear suspension only moves a fraction or a inch anyway.
or
Load the truck bed ,there are many methods ,I like the water bag system easy to load and unload.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

1. Get rid of the RV.
2. Get rid of the wife.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Harsh ride towing or driving solo? If it is towing you could look into one of the air cushioned hitches.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010