cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satelite tv

MFOX
Explorer
Explorer
We are hoping to be getting our first travel trailer. I see people with their satelite dishes at the campgrounds and wondered how it worked. Do I need to have a membership or account with a satelite company? How does it work? We don't tend to watch TV that much, but it might be nice every once in a while on longer vacation times.
MFox
Wonderful DH
Three kids:)
Daughter 99
Sons 01 & 05
Four rescue dogs who are wonderful!
25 REPLIES 25

mikeb9550
Explorer
Explorer
Lately I have just been using the Dish Anywhere app (aka slingbox) on my smart phone. Just use a HDMI cable to plug it to the TV. Works great if you have unlimited data and a good signal. Between this, local channels, and Netflix we are pretty much good to go and no unhooking stuff and dragging it back and forth. I have Verizon which has good coverage.

When we camp, my phone turns into the router.
Mike

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 3.92, Hensley Arrow Hitch

2006 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
robsouth wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
About 80% of CGs have satelite hookup. You will need about 30 ft of cable because some are located to the front of your TT and your hookup will be at the rear. We were in one at Key West and the sewer hose had to be 25 ft long too.

I have never seen a CG with a satellite hookup. Cable maybe, but that is a different can of worms. I take my satellite over cable anyday.
Ditto.....I've never seen a CG or RV park with satellite. Cable, yes. UGH

Every campground I have visited with"cable" is actually satellite. Just because you don't see a dish on your site doesn't mean that the source of the signal is not satellite. There is generally a dish or two somewhere at the campground and from there the signal is sent to the sites via a cable. This does not mean that the programming you are watching is sourced from a cable network.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
About 80% of CGs have satelite hookup. You will need about 30 ft of cable because some are located to the front of your TT and your hookup will be at the rear. We were in one at Key West and the sewer hose had to be 25 ft long too.

I have never seen a CG with a satellite hookup. Cable maybe, but that is a different can of worms. I take my satellite over cable anyday.
Ditto.....I've never seen a CG or RV park with satellite. Cable, yes. UGH
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
robsouth wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:

It is not unusual for parks in remote areas to have satellite dishes to receive signals which they then distribute thru the park via cable.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

DonCon
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
DonCon wrote:
What is the app you use to find the satellite?

I take it that your question is for me (as you did not quote).

"Satellite AR" on Google Play.

Thanks. I always wondered how people had the question in their reply.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
DonCon wrote:

I take it that your question is for me (as you did not quote).

"Satellite AR" on Google Play.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:

Depends where you prefer to camp. We like State Parks and from what I have seen so far they don't have cable. On the other hand, "RV parks" and "RV resorts" tend to have cable, but for my tastes little else to recommend them.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
MKirkland wrote:
To go along with Passin Thru wrote, the tailgater is the only major expense. If you just take a single receiver from home, there won't be any monthly fees. I can do the complete set up in about 5 minutes. The tailgater will lock onto the satellite automaticly if the handle is pointed north. It really is a nice addition. The wife likes the news and I like sports. We only have a small 13" tv. One time we put it outside for a football game and I think we had most of the campground huddled around to watch a game. Good memories.
True....BUT you have to have a 211K receiver at home to do this. Unfortunately, we had the 311K......so we had to purchase the whole package......:(
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
To go along with Passin Thru wrote, the tailgater is the only major expense. If you just take a single receiver from home, there won't be any monthly fees. I can do the complete set up in about 5 minutes. The tailgater will lock onto the satellite automaticly if the handle is pointed north. It really is a nice addition. The wife likes the news and I like sports. We only have a small 13" tv. One time we put it outside for a football game and I think we had most of the campground huddled around to watch a game. Good memories.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Go to dishformyrv.com They offer a monthly plan where you pay by the month and can start stop the service any time and only pay when you actually want/need it.

DirecTv does this too. This is how I do it.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Go to dishformyrv.com to see their plans. They offer a monthly plan where you pay by the month and can start stop the service any time and only pay when you actually want/need it.

Explorer II
Explorer II
DonCon wrote:
I use Satellite AR to locate an open spot through the trees and general alignment, It has a nice visual using the camera. Then I use Satellite Director to zero it in. It's a simple process once you know what you are doing.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we was doing the SAT TV we setup our two channel portable SAT DISH and ran two RG cables into the trailer one to the home entertainment center and the second one to the bedroom area. Then brought SAT RCVRS from home along with us.

I used the VIDEO OUTS of the SAT RCVR to go to the HDTV VID INPUTS at each location in the trailer then all I do is select either CABLE TV -ANTENNA TV-VIDEO TV using the remote.

When the OTA TV went to the the new digital Natl BROADCAST we stopped bringing along the SAT RCVR items. THE OTA TV from the local towns is full blown high def (Free to the Public) and worked out much better to view then our SAT TV hookup was back then. If we want to watch some CABLE TV when out in the woods we can view them over the internet. OTA TV viewing the NATL BROADCAST works pretty good for us here on the East side of the US. We usually get 6-36 digital channels using the BATWING OTA trailer antenna just about everywhere we go now.

Now we just use our TV REMOTE to jump from CABLE and ANTENNA to watch our TV even when we are at camp grounds that have hookups... High Def is much better on the eye coming from the local towns but I see some of the camp grounds are now going to digital mode with their CABLE HOOKUPS.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS