cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scissor stairs

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
My stairs are starting to feel unstable. I have them for 10 years. Is there some maintenance I should be doing? I have tightened the bolts at the top. It is a 6 step set of stairs. I can't see a name but I want to say it was a Tork lift but I am not sure. If they are at the end of their life which set of stair do you like? I like those new legs that Tork lift has come out with. Anyone have those?
26 REPLIES 26

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi Jefe,

you are certainly right... where I live, the main issue is rain/corrosion, I guess. But the steps went from barely useable to like new with the generous application of a lubricant.

The name is indeed Joerg (actually Jörg with an umlaut), which is a germanized version of George. I'll answer to both 😉
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Bedlam
Dry chain lube would work better for your steps.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Georg, or is it joerg,
I've tried that solution, but with as much silt and fine dust we have in the South West U.S., I would have to lube them up every time you got on a dirt road. WD40 made by mistake as a Water Dispersant turns to mud very quickly, at least for me.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rutzbeck wrote:
A ladder won't work for me as I have two large dogs that travel with me. I think my steps were made by Hijacker. I like those new steps that are made by Torklift that have feet on them. I think on uneven ground they would give a much stabler stair as well as level the stairs better. Does anyone have the new feet on their stairs? Do you like them?

The Little Jumbo is more stairs than ladder. I don't see why dogs couldn't climb it. The treads are 9" apart vertically and are as deep as scissor steps (maybe a little narrower).

Bedlam
These are my Torklift GlowSteps with the LandingGear feet, SafeSteps stair backings and GlowGuide handrail:

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
rutzbeck wrote:
A ladder won't work for me as I have two large dogs that travel with me. I think my steps were made by Hijacker. I like those new steps that are made by Torklift that have feet on them. I think on uneven ground they would give a much stabler stair as well as level the stairs better. Does anyone have the new feet on their stairs? Do you like them?

Answered above. You do need to open the link, though.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
wfs989 wrote:
wnjj and tonymull - do you know what the height off the ground the top step is of your Little Giant Safety Step step ladder ? On the 3 step unit the spec's say 44" and on the 4 step unit the spec is 56" The spec says this is the stepladder height, so is that the height off the ground to the top step ? Also I am assuming that you both fold down the safety bar. Thanks for your response.

I just measured our 3 step one. The top step is about 26". The first and second ones are about 9" and 17". With the safety bar folded up, the tray is about 50". I'm not sure where those other numbers come from. If you got them from Amazon, that would be the folded length, probably including the box. They fold by simply lifting up on the tread so they are as long as the front frame plus half of the top tread.

The 3 step works perfect behind our camper which has a step bumper. My brother used a 4 step with his bumper-less 8' camper. It's safe to assume the top step of the 4 step model is about 35".

wfs989
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj and tonymull - do you know what the height off the ground the top step is of your Little Giant Safety Step step ladder ? On the 3 step unit the spec's say 44" and on the 4 step unit the spec is 56" The spec says this is the stepladder height, so is that the height off the ground to the top step ? Also I am assuming that you both fold down the safety bar. Thanks for your response.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
Re. Glowsteps very hard to extend/collapse: greasing the bolts with WD40 or a similar product works wonders. Don't ask me how I know...

One drop on each joint, once or twice per season, makes them easy to work with.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
tonymull wrote:
For my wife's sake we switched to a Little Giant step ladder. It's a little more trouble to store, but now that we've had them for a year I wouldn't even consider switching back. And they are extremely handy around the campsite.

X2. We love ours (a 3-step version). They come in 2-4 steps. Large, rubber padded tread and very sturdy. We stow it on its back on the floor inside the door. It's useful around camp and around home.

Bedlam
I run GlowSteps from the door threshold of my Arctic Fox to the ground. My F250 required 5 steps and my 5500 requires 7 steps. With the GlowGuide, it is easy to go up and down since you always have a handhold.

wfs989
Explorer
Explorer
About a month ago we bought out 2005 Dodge dually, 3500. And then last week we picked up a hardly used 2011 AF 990. From the bottom of the door to the ground is 48". From the floor level of the camper to the top of the bumper step is 14 1/2 " and then the swing out single step. No two steps are the same rise. So I am trying also to figure out what we are going to do. I have no problem, but I am concerned for my wife safely getting in and out. We had stable loads installed at Torklift, and only briefly looked at the Glow Steps - but the brief looked left me with the feeling of not to stable. As our AF was manufactured in April of 2011, it does not have the new bumper, capable of taking the Fox Landing. I would like to install the basement step, to reduce the 14 1/2" step out of the camper, and then install the Fox landing - but don't know about attaching the Fox landing to the old bumper. Everything is so ridiculously expensive - that I am looking at any options. Thankful for the forum to see what others are doing.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Steps. Stairs. Ladders. We used the 4 step version of steps made in OR for the first 12 years we owned the TC. They were lightweight, rather narrow of breach and had ONE important feature, a feature that would only later come to light. That was the 'V' shaped hanger (with 4 bolts going into the bottom frame rail) which put the cross, wide, "U" strut as close to the TC frame as possible decreasing the leverage on the top hanger. These worked fine for over a decade. I bolted them on the "V" iron with 10mm bolts/nuts and they were easy to extend to the ground, especially over time as they got looser. Time in the saddle caused the rivets in the steps, as mentioned above, to loosen and increase in wobble. We then decided to go big-time with Glow Steps. Twice a heavy; wider; much more robust with nice features for older folks. However, they were very tight, and it took a lot of pull to get them to the ground; a lot. Two things took their toll on the "V" hanger, now just an aluminum plate curved at the ends with holes for the aluminum pins which held the step to the TC. The tightness caused a lot of torque to the bolts in the lower frame rail and the wood surrounding the bolts finally succumbed. It did not help that the former 4 bolt holes could not be used with the G.S.'s and a further six were required making the bottom plate look like swiss cheese with ten weakened points. The fact that the pivot point at the pins was farther out away from the frame also added to the torquing and eventual failure of the bottom plate. One other mitigating circumstance was in play here. I had a couple of early attempts at carrying water in old milk cartons: a tragic mistake. They're just too flimsy. A couple gallons of water soaked the floor over time at the back of the TC behind a little storage door. This cause the floor to have some dry rot and weaken the area where the floor meets the back wall of the camper around the door. I had a local TC guru work on this problem and he added a 2" aluminum angle to the entire back wall at the floor junction. I don't think it was sealed well and the problem is still there. The woe is the bottom plate of the TC frame does not go all the way across the back. There is a gap where the tank dump valves are located with no support. He said if the Lance were made better it could take the weight of the steps on the rear plate. He said the wall from the bottom up is failing.
So, what is plan C? I've been experimenting with folding step ladders to see if one could be used without adding weight to the door threshold. I had an old 3' aluminum step ladder built in 1955 with no upper safety railing. I worked well; was very lightweight, but did not do well on unever or soft ground. Plus the step pads were very narrow. I cut a piece of old truck mud flap to go under the outboard legs of the ladder and that gave a little 'floatation' to the outer steps and also made the inboard steps lean in a bit giving the ladder a firmer connection to the TC. It was a bit too flimsy. I then went through a succession of step ladders and cut the top safety rail off just above the hinge. The current one is a Gorilla Ladder and has a 10" rise to the steps, and has that nice wide upper step, but is a couple inches too tall to close the door.
It does store easily on the TC ladder:

I'm not done with this dilemma yet.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar