cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seat belts in a camper?

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
So as fortune would have it, my wife and I found out that we are expecting twins! The domino's are falling all over the place as we re-contemplate life in general. Our life just got a whole lot more complicated!

Part of that contemplation is the realization that the truck (F350 Quad Cab with seats for 5) is no longer able to transport two adults, two teens and two car seats along with the dog. Changing the truck isn't in the cards (have to save up for a daily driver that can transport six now) so I'm trying to come up with options.

As a kid, I remember spending plenty of miles in the overhead of the camper and looking out the front facing window. In today's bubble wrapped world though, such "freedom" is frowned upon. One solution I considered is adding seat-belts in the camper itself for the teens. I know class C RVs will do this but I don't think I have ever heard of it being done in a camper. Safety and keeping the kids buckled in is concern of course but pushing that aside for the discussion, is there any legal issues with the idea?

The next option which may only last for a year or two is to put one car seat on the bench in the back and another where the center console is. This would take some modification to make sure it is secure but I think it is possible.

Of course the last option (and least favorite) will be to suck up and drive a second vehicle. The problem with this solution is my wife doesn't like to drive long distances on mountain roads so it would dampen the distances taken for trips.

Trading the truck and camper are not options.

Thoughts?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
35 REPLIES 35

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
Teens get the cargo trailer that has been converted into a mini toy-hauler with bath and kitchen. It's a project I have worked on over time (with more to do) but it does give the teens a place to crash and call their own. We think we can handle the babies in the camper, it will be tight but manageable. Plus, the only future camping trips we actually have on the horizon we will be in one place for a week with lots of family around. Longer trips are in the distant future for us I think.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mfan wrote:
Watch a camper in an accident. You won't let the kids ride back there.

Cheapest route I think, will be 2 vehicles. Just think of the extra stuff that you will be hauling now too.

X2^^. There are only two of us, but we don't/won't double-tow and my wife follows behind in the CR-V on travel days. There are many advantages to it and very few disadvantages. Find your daily driver with the seating you need (likely a mini-van) and take it along on camping trips. Then you'll have something besides the truck with camper to go sightseeing, run errands, etc. Now... what are you going to do about sleeping - put the teens in a tent? (You may already being doing that, anyway.)

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good call on checking the bench seat. I specifically order that one for my new truck and even buying new seat to retrofit the truck can be cheaper than changing the truck.
Coming to safety, we did lot of stupid things when we were young that we no longer do when we get wiser.
I lost several of my young days friends who were not that lucky.
My first ClasC, back in 1980's did not have any belts in the rear.
That was legal back than, but even if that could be legal today, I would add belts anyway.
Lot of buses have no seat belts, what might be another story.
Good luck on your project.

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the replies, I will have to see if I can find one of those fold down center seat / console units. That seems like the most practical and realistic solution.

As a kid, when we weren't riding in the cab-over, it was four of us on the bench seat in my dad's 78 Ford custom (still has ~78,000 original miles on it). I usually got crammed against the door but we did that for many years. The F350 seems palatial in comparison.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy shopping for your new van and tt.

Bedlam
The shifters in my pictures are for the transfer cases. Both my trucks have automatics.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
Three people in the front seat with a center console with floor shifter is not a solution in my book. It might be ok if the shifter were on the column with no console.

Who has a shifter on the floor?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three people in the front seat with a center console with floor shifter is not a solution in my book. It might be ok if the shifter were on the column with no console.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too rode in the cab-over as a kid with lots of fond memories. But I wouldn't let any of my children ride in the camper even as teenagers because there are to many other idiots on the road today.

If I were in your shoes, would change the seat out for a bench seat. Then I coould put two car seats in the back and let one or both of the teenagers sit in the front seat. Since regardless of bench, buckets, etc, all the mounting holes are factory installed, the swap should be fairly easy.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a front bench as well. It was also useful when DW had to elevate her leg. She just had to turn a little.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
So as fortune would have it, my wife and I found out that we are expecting twins! The domino's are falling all over the place as we re-contemplate life in general. Our life just got a whole lot more complicated!

I havenโ€™t had children at home for years- both long grown. While Iโ€™m sure there is lots to contemplate- sincere congrats! Glenn

And I agree with previous poster about front seat being a no no - at least here in Illinois, of course, you donโ€™t want to come to Illinois, most are trying to get out :B
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8โ€™ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles! Shocking suggestion! Please! lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bedlam
My 2005 F250 had a 40/20/40 front seat with flip down console. You should be able to find these in the salvage yard. I like this setup so much, my 2015 5500 has the same setup.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Marry one of the teenagers off.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Find a used bench seat for the front . Two teenagers in front with driver . Two infant seats in back with adult .

Great idea!
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.