cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Equalizer Hitch

elm3420
Explorer
Explorer
I am redoing the setup on my tv and trailer because I purchased a different set of tires for my tv. I went from 245 to 265s. When I towed with it I had a lot of sway when I towed with the new tires. When doing the new setup I realized I cannot adjust the hitch down any more which to me suggests that I need a different shank for the hitch. Just looking for some opinions. The top of the ball measures 23.5. The top coupler measures 20.25 when the trailer is level. This seems to me that this is too much difference between the two.
Eddie, LeAnne, Hayden & Kaleb
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/ 5.7 Hemi VVT
2009 Flagstaff Super Lite 27BHSS ran into by a deer
2023 Jayco Jay Flight 265RLS
11 REPLIES 11

elm3420
Explorer
Explorer
Yep I did.

skydiver31
Explorer
Explorer
This might turn out to be a pointless reply, but I'm trying to assume the most obvious:

Did you try turning the shank upside down?

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
245 to a 265 is just the width of the tire. what was the stock size, and what was the replacement size? I had a similar experience the first time out this year, come to find out, the TV tires only had 30 PSI of air in them. I jacked the tire pressure up to the sidewall max, big difference.
Tom & Steph and 4 munchkins
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
Sent you a pm.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
You might also notice a bit of a difference in power. Taller tires raise your overall drive ratio. I went from a 265 to a 285 but after I wore the 285's out, I went back to the 265, (stock size), because I could tell the difference on steep hills.

elm3420
Explorer
Explorer
I did. After I posted here I found the calculator on their website. It recommend part # 90-02-4400. I am efforting trying to find one online or through a dealer that I can get by next weekend.

Mister_Big
Explorer
Explorer
Did you plug those numbers into the equalizer calculator?

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%20Equal-i-zer/shanksizes.php
2015 Skyline Koala 26SS
2004 GMC Yukon
Equalizer 10K Hitch
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Swagman Traveler XC 2 Bike Rack

elm3420
Explorer
Explorer
I did notice that the GPS speed was more of a difference from he speedometer. I did compensate for that by going by the GPS speed rather than the speedometer which was about 5-6 mph faster than the gps.

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP:
Check your speedometer now. Taller tires = slower speedometer. You probably won't notice it until your upwards 60 MPH.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I have some older shanks that I am willing to part with. Let me know what you need and maybe we can make a deal. Basically there is an "L" shaped one and a "T" shaped one. You can take them off and flip them to get different positions.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
That does seem like a big difference. Yes, you can purchase a new shank, which is what I had to do. You'll probably get sticker shock....they're pretty pricy for a chunk of metal. But, well worth the price if it helps you tow correctly.